Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The €5 pint

Options
  • 03-02-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a barrier in Cork City to charging more than €5 for a pint of beer although several pubs that I have been into recently are coming close. I got 3 1c coins back from a fiver in the Bodega recently so €4.97.
    The Dublin thing of upping prices later in evening when people are a bit drunk doesn't seem to have been tried here.

So name and shame. Are there any pubs in Cork that are charging more than €5 for a pint of beer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I paid €5.10 for a Tom Creans in The Brog recently enough. Haven't been back.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

the woolshed in sheares st seems to be a bit on the expensive side.

E20.20 for two bud and two pint bottles of bulmers over xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

regress wrote: »
    There seems to be a barrier in Cork City to charging more than €5 for a pint of beer although several pubs that I have been into recently are coming close. I got 3 1c coins back from a fiver in the Bodega recently so €4.97.
    The Dublin thing of upping prices later in evening when people are a bit drunk doesn't seem to have been tried here.

So name and shame. Are there any pubs in Cork that are charging more than €5 for a pint of beer?
    I havent paid more than a €5 for draught beer.

However did get stung last week for a pint bottle of paulaner for €5.50 which i though was very excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Surely there cant be many places trying to charge over €5 for a pint,thought they dissappeared with the celtic tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Depends on what beer to be honest.

Places like the Bierhaus and the Franciscan Well charge €5+ for some pints (craft/speciality beer) as they are very high % alcohol and pricey even in the off licence (€2.50 per bottle compared to €1 cans of Carling). The price is well advertised though and the price of a half is too.

I agree that near €5 is ridiculous for standard beers/stouts though, Beamish is usually less than €4 most places so, as a stout drinker anyway, I usually stick with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

johnnyjb wrote: »
    the woolshed in sheares st seems to be a bit on the expensive side.

E20.20 for two bud and two pint bottles of bulmers over xmas

Hop into the Porterhouse next door, it's cheaper than that for vastly superior beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Smithwicks is over 5 in quite a few pubs at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Let's restrict this to regular draft beers.
    Ciders cost a bit more and charging more for craft/speciality beers may be justified.

So a pint of stout ( Guinness, Murphys, Beamish) A pint of lager ( Coors, Carlsberg, Heineken etc) or ale Smithwicks. Is there any pub in the city charging more than €5?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Smithwicks is over 5 in quite a few pubs at night.

Where? I drink Smithwichs and have never paid more than €5

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

4.90 for a pint of any beer in counihans,****ing joke!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Brog is 5.10 for a pint of lager after 11.

Slate would usually around the 5 euro mark as well

Crane Lane is definitely around that after 11. I was charged 5.50 for a bottle of Lech in there a few months ago.

4.90 for a pint of any beer in counihans,****ing joke!

Indeed it is. which is less than €5. Nobody has yet given an instance of any pub in Cork that charges more than €5 for a draft pint of regular beer.
    (not craft/speciality/wheat beers)

Brog is 5.10 for a pint of lager after 11.

Slate would usually around the 5 euro mark as well

Crane Lane is definitely around that after 11. I was charged 5.50 for a bottle of Lech in there a few months ago.

I have been in both the Brog and Crane Lane recently and paid less that €5, So I think you are not being truthful. Although if anyone else can confirm your assertion that the the Brog charges €5.10 for a pint then I will go in there and check. Bottles of Lech don't count, And what does "around that " mean? I'm sure that Slate is less than €5

well Last time I was in the Brog (about 2 weeks ago) it was 5.10 for a pint of Heineken after 11pm

Slate would generally be about 4.90, which it was the last time i was in there (new years night)

I'd appreciate if you did not call me a liar (even if you did it in a backhanded way). It's uncalled for.

well Last time I was in the Brog (about 2 weeks ago) it was 5.10 for a pint of Heineken after 11pm

I'd appreciate if you did not call me a liar (even if you did it in a backhanded way). It's uncalled for.

I apologise. It was uncalled for. Was in the Brog a few months ago and paid €3 for a pint before 9pm. Surprised if they raise the price after 9pm and again after 11pm. I have come across price rises after particular times in Dublin but was not aware that after 11pm price increases are now in Cork.

So if the Brog is charging 5.10 for a pint is a hippy student bar the most expensive pub in Cork?

I apologise. It was uncalled for. Was in the Brog a few months ago and paid €3 for a pint before 9pm. Surprised if they raise the price after 9pm and again after 11pm. I have come across price rises after particular times in Dublin but was not aware that after 11pm price increases are now in Cork.

So if the Brog is charging 5.10 for a pint is a hippy student bar the most expensive pub in Cork?

no worries, apology accepted. I think the pints in the brog are usually 3 quid until 11 and then they up their prices, I've certainly tried to get a few in before 11 in my time :)

it does seem crazy that the scuzziest student place has the highest prices though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Where? I drink Smithwichs and have never paid more than €5
    Happened in the slate, suspect it might have been a mistake as the price list said 5. Woodshed perhaps? memory's fuzzy so don't take my word for it.

Anybody use the Pint of Plain website? Underused but potentially useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I have been in both the Brog and Crane Lane recently and paid less that €5, So I think you are not being truthful. Although if anyone else can confirm your assertion that the the Brog charges €5.10 for a pint then I will go in there and check. Bottles of Lech don't count, And what does "around that " mean? I'm sure that Slate is less than €5
    He is correct. An Bróg increase the price of a pint to over €5 after 11, which is absolutely disgraceful. I refuse to go there anymore because of it. There should be one set price. This price increase after a certain hour should be outlawed. It is blatant profiteering and a horrible way to treat customers. Of course the students could force An Bróg to change their policy by boycotting the place but that's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

€5.10 for a pint of Friar Weisse in the Crane Lane over the weekend. Disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Cypress Avenue and The Crane Lane increase their prices at a certain time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The likes of Peroni and Tiger are routinely at least €5 a pint.

I went The Chateau not so long ago and was charged €6 for a Peroni.

I honestly do not mind paying €5+ in a late bar. Pubs have serious overheads between staffing, rent, rates and the exemption to stay open late is €400 per night as far as I know.

I also do not mid paying €5+ in a late bar which has not charged entry. What annoys me is clubs charging €5+ after charging you €10+ to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Brog is really cheap during the day, gets saucy after 11 though. Around the five euro mark sounds about right. Buy a couple of pints just before 11 if you're in there. I paid fiver a pint in the Crane on Friday last and that was at nine, I know they used to put up the prices later in the evening but I think they just went with the higher price all the time now. Not 100% on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

was in the bodega at the weekend 5.50 for a bottle of miller no wonder people are not going out as much anymore or drinking in the house 1st and not bothering going into town till after 11

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

gimmick wrote: »
    I went The Chateau not so long ago and was charged €6 for a Peroni.

I honestly do not mind paying €5+ in a late bar. Pubs have serious overheads between staffing, rent, rates and the exemption to stay open late is €400 per night as far as I know.

I also do not mid paying €5+ in a late bar which has not charged entry. What annoys me is clubs charging €5+ after charging you €10+ to get in.

The Chateaux is a tourist trap. Its been over priced for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

was in the bodega at the weekend 5.50 for a bottle of miller no wonder people are not going out as much anymore or drinking in the house 1st and not bothering going into town till after 11

Thats crazy money last time we paid 5.10 iirc for bottles of coors light.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ah jesus thats crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

i asked the barman was he having a laugh when he asked me for another 50cent when i handed in a a fiver. he wasnt impressed but any night i go out back home its generally 4.50 to 5 for a bottle including a place where its late licence and free entry

i asked the barman was he having a laugh when he asked me for another 50cent when i handed in a a fiver. he wasnt impressed but any night i go out back home its generally 4.50 to 5 for a bottle including a place where its late licence and free entry

You'd be better getting a pint and getting your moneys worth.Although I know some people do prefer bottles to pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

The Bróg have been doing the post 11pm price increase for years.
    I remember this as myself and friends used to head away about midnight back when we were 18 and couldn't afford pay the increase.

I'm a pint bottle man myself, usually go for Budvar, Staropramen or 1759,
    they've stayed around the €5-5.50 for the last few years,
    worth paying for as your guaranteed a good pint every time.

Murphy's is the only thing I'd have on tap, but there's no way I'd pay €5 for it,
    although I remember Fred Zep's being close enough to the €5 mark last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

The Bróg have been doing the post 11pm price increase for years.
    I remember this as myself and friends used to head away about midnight back when we were 18 and couldn't afford pay the increase.

I'm a pint bottle man myself, usually go for Budvar, Staropramen or 1759,
    they've stayed around the €5-5.50 for the last few years,
    worth paying for as your guaranteed a good pint every time.

Murphy's is the only thing I'd have on tap, but there's no way I'd pay €5 for it,
    although I remember Fred Zep's being close enough to the €5 mark last year.

Brog was €5.60 for a Budvar when I was in. 2 drinks and they asking for €10.70.
    The result is I'd have 2 pints instead of 4 in such a place, €5 seems to be the line for me!

Advertisement