Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The €5 pint

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭abbeyrock

Its a sad day when I cant get 2 pints for a tenner. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

The Bróg have been doing the post 11pm price increase for years.
    I remember this as myself and friends used to head away about midnight back when we were 18 and couldn't afford pay the increase.

I'm a pint bottle man myself, usually go for Budvar, Staropramen or 1759,
    they've stayed around the €5-5.50 for the last few years,
    worth paying for as your guaranteed a good pint every time.

Murphy's is the only thing I'd have on tap, but there's no way I'd pay €5 for it,
    although I remember Fred Zep's being close enough to the €5 mark last year.

In fairness to the Brog they are on par with most other late bars after the price increase but before it they are well below.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

mackg wrote: »
    In fairness to the Brog they are on par with most other late bars after the price increase but before it they are well below.

That's the thing though, with say the Bodega I'd expect those prices but The Brog always had a reputation for value which makes the price all the more shocking, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Crane lane is five euro for lager then 5.20 after 11. Didn't stay longer than that.
    But tbh, what's the issue with paying this and then having no problem in a place like bodega where you have to pay in after 11.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Crane lane is five euro for lager then 5.20 after 11. Didn't stay longer than that.
    But tbh, what's the issue with paying this and then having no problem in a place like bodega where you have to pay in after 11.30.

I try to avoid the Bodega after 11.30 for that reason, it's just too expensive.

One night last xmas I was convinced to head down there as a friend was inside, I get there and see a queue so I ring yer man only for him to say it's dead quiet inside. Seems the queue was maintained for show. Safe to say I went elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Vicarstown - heineken €5

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

But if your'e paying €5+ for a pint in somewhere like the Bróg it could at least be nice, they have by far the worst pints in Cork, so my rule when i'm in there is to only get bottles which work out way more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Exactly. Id much rather pay an extra few cent per pint than have to pay €10 entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I think Cubans charge more than a fiver now for a pint.

€4:80 a bottle of bud in the Bailey. Left and went to the Grafton where it was €3:50 a Beamish.

The Brog has some cheek charging them priced for their gammy pints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

its getting all the change back is the annoying thing if a drink is €5.10. never mind paying anything up to €5.00 for a drink but anything over and i would be leaving/not drinking anymore in that place/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

calnand wrote: »
    But if your'e paying €5+ for a pint in somewhere like the Bróg it could at least be nice, they have by far the worst pints in Cork, so my rule when i'm in there is to only get bottles which work out way more expensive.

They couldn't pull a proper pint if there life depended on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

i paied 5€ for a bulmers recently. Couldnt believe it o.O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

I started getting the Bulmers pint bottles when in the Brog to avoid their pints, but that's now 5.50/5.60. Madness!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I know that bars etc are required to display their prices outside their premises but is there any law regarding displaying the fact that they change their prices dependant on the time of day ?

To be honest up until I saw this thread I never realised that some bars charge more after certain times but I am glad I know it now. It's scandalous and I'm glad that people have posted with who is doing it :) No wonder so many people choose to drink at home these days !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think the bars changing the prices to higher in the evenings is possibly an economic reaction towards people who drink loads at home, and then go out for the last few. Bar is totally empty in the early evening, jammers in the evening... yet they pay the staff to sit there and do nothing. They are trying to get people to come in earlier. I see where they are coming from. The later drinking hours that pubs stay open until are fairly antisocial for working. I haven't worked in a pub, but do they pay extra for work after midnight? Back in the old days last call was much earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

pwurple wrote: »
    I think the bars changing the prices to higher in the evenings is possibly an economic reaction towards people who drink loads at home, and then go out for the last few. Bar is totally empty in the early evening, jammers in the evening... yet they pay the staff to sit there and do nothing. They are trying to get people to come in earlier. I see where they are coming from. The later drinking hours that pubs stay open until are fairly antisocial for working. I haven't worked in a pub, but do they pay extra for work after midnight? Back in the old days last call was much earlier.

Surely once more people realise they will just skip the pub entirely and resort to house parties ... anyway, I don't know but it seems like most bars are not really aware of what their customers want.

Good question about do they get paid more after a certain time, I'd love to know the answer myself :)

pwurple wrote: »

A pub that closes at half 11 or 12 should not be varying the prices of their pints. IMO its fine for a late bar to do it but a regular pub shouldnt be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Been going on for years. Not a reaction to anything really. Just an easy way of making money... Supply and demand and all that.

I didn't think any pubs that do it close at normal closing time and after scanning this thread it does appear to be a late bar thing. Did I miss some?

Ludo wrote: »
    Been going on for years. Not a reaction to anything really. Just an easy way of making money... Supply and demand and all that.

I didn't think any pubs that do it close at normal closing time and after scanning this thread it does appear to be a late bar thing. Did I miss some?

IMO the supply of pubs in Ireland far outweighs the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

kingtut wrote: »
    I know that bars etc are required to display their prices outside their premises but is there any law regarding displaying the fact that they change their prices dependant on the time of day ?

To be honest up until I saw this thread I never realised that some bars charge more after certain times but I am glad I know it now. It's scandalous and I'm glad that people have posted with who is doing it :) No wonder so many people choose to drink at home these days !

Great point here,,KingTut.

A few friends of Mine came across that in the Sextant before..Prices went up after 11.00pm...So one questioned why the prices went up,and he was told to cover the late licence etc...
    So he duly pointed out that since they had put up their prices (it was now gone 11.00pm) that their price list on the premises was actually now wrong.
    After they finished those round of drinks,they were told they had too much,,and were to leave.

Says a lot really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

I suppose with the bodega at least you are saving the entry fee by going up before 11.30,any club you have to pay into and then pay ott prices for drink is crazy.

ofcork wrote: »
    I suppose with the bodega at least you are saving the entry fee by going up before 11.30,any club you have to pay into and then pay ott prices for drink is crazy.

Exactly what I was getting at. Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Hogzy wrote: »
    IMO the supply of pubs in Ireland far outweighs the demand.

In general maybe, but all of those late bars charging over a fiver a pint are all jointed every weekends so the demand is definitely there. If it wasn't they would be empty and be forced to lower their prices or shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

O Sullivan's in Douglas ( John O's) up there prices during the night too!

You can be assured that pretty much 90% of bars will increase their prices throughout the night if a late bar applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

You can be assured that pretty much 90% of bars will increase their prices throughout the night if a late bar applies.

Yes but they begin increases at 9:30PM late licence doesnt come into effect till 12:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is being stingey associated with the internet?

Pubs have been increasing prices for a long time. If you do not like it, stay at home and complain about the price of your TV license or your electricity. We live in an expensive country. This is not news.

People complaining about the price of a pint are as bad as people who go to the pub and drink tap water.

It is the same when people mention night club prices. People seem to take it as a personal insult. If you do not go to clubs anyway, do not complain it. I know plenty people who who go to nightclubs every week and happily pay the door tax. Not my scene, but I will not go starting threads about "the €15 nightclub".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

ah here, 15 euro is madness for any of the cork nightclubs, whichever way you look at it. but yeah, quibbling over an extra 10 cent on a pint is more than a tad stingey alright. you'd have to be drinking an obscene amount for it to make any real difference

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Whats the tom crean lager like in the brog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I used to live in prosperity square,so I pretty did all my glugging on barrack st. or tower, in the quinryan and bradleys they had the cheapest pints in the country, and the beamish was cheaper again and tasted much better that the jackeen stuff.

If these places are still open,pop the head in. I would imagine that the prices are low due to the places being full of OAPs,great craic though.

God, I'd love to go for a few pints around Cork again,definitely my favourite spot to go pinting in

Advertisement