Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The €5 pint

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Whats the tom crean lager like in the brog?

That you feel you need to ask says it all :D

It's €5.10 and not a good pint by any measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

crockholm wrote: »
    I used to live in prosperity square,so I pretty did all my glugging on barrack st. or tower, in the quinryan and bradleys they had the cheapest pints in the country, and the beamish was cheaper again and tasted much better that the jackeen stuff.

If these places are still open,pop the head in. I would imagine that the prices are low due to the places being full of OAPs,great craic though.

God, I'd love to go for a few pints around Cork again,definitely my favourite spot to go pinting in

Yes, Mr. Bradley's is open, and they do wonderful pints of Beamish, think it was €3.50 the last time I was there. Good hot whiskey too. It's a nice little venue for music, have played there myself and seen a few bands in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

That Tom Crean stuff is sold in Sober Lane too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

gimmick wrote: »
    Is being stingey associated with the internet?

Pubs have been increasing prices for a long time. If you do not like it, stay at home and complain about the price of your TV license or your electricity. We live in an expensive country. This is not news.

People complaining about the price of a pint are as bad as people who go to the pub and drink tap water.

It is the same when people mention night club prices. People seem to take it as a personal insult. If you do not go to clubs anyway, do not complain it. I know plenty people who who go to nightclubs every week and happily pay the door tax. Not my scene, but I will not go starting threads about "the €15 nightclub".

I'll stop complaining about pub prices while drinking at home, when publicans stop complaining about people drinking at home and continue to raise their prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Late bars have been increasing their prices at a certain point for years now. The Brog's €3 afternoon pints is considered a price reduction - their regular price is the higher price point - to get people in there earlier as most, if not all, late bars tend to be dead until around 11pm.

The reason for late bars increasing their price past 10 or 11 pm is two-fold: it started because of the governments 100% tax increase on having a late license. It costs something like €450+ now to have a late license for every night. That's not a problem for places on a weekend but harder to justify on quiet nights (which these days is what, Sunday through Wednesday!?) Late bars don't tend to get busy until after normal pubs close so that's a good bit of cash for what amounts to about an hours business.

The second reason is that late bars don't have a door charge. Crane Lane, Pavilion etc. are all free entry. And they also provide quite a lot of free entertainment (bands, DJs etc.) on any given night.

If you forced bars to keep to one price, it'd likely end up being the highest price they'd have to choose.

Finally: for all those complaining about prices, it's the more expensive bars that tend to be busier on any given night. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    Late bars have been increasing their prices at a certain point for years now. The Brog's €3 afternoon pints is considered a price reduction - their regular price is the higher price point - to get people in there earlier as most, if not all, late bars tend to be dead until around 11pm.

Just a technical note on this, the "regular" price is the price the first drink of a certain type is sold at each day. After this you are allowed to raise prices all you want, but not lower. This is how pubs get around Happy hour legislation.

They SHOULD be displaying both prices just inside the door, I've never checked the brog for it, will the next time I'm in there...

The funny thing about people who go to pubs that have expensive drinks is that we have too much fun to complain, take note negative nancys :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Nearly a fiver for a manky Beamish in the Brog last night.

yenom wrote: »

Which tap did you get it from?

It's weird, but I find the lesser used tap in the back bar near the foosball table has the cleanest taste in there. The side bar Beamish isn't nice at all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Which tap did you get it from?

Which Tap??

Must of been a golden one facing a big window that saw him coming. :D

€5 for a beamish?? Holy jaesus moses..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It used to be what, 4.10? 4.30 maybe.

Anyone ever use this app/website for keeping track of irish beer prices? I find it pretty good! www.pintofplain.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Which Tap??

Must of been a golden one facing a big window that saw him coming. :D

€5 for a beamish?? Holy jaesus moses..

The main one, fella with me paid €5:10 for a bottle of miller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

The main one, fella with me paid €5:10 for a bottle of miller.

€5.10 for a bottle of miller? :eek:

Now,that is Rip Off Ireland at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Where is the cheapest places to go for pints now in the City. Brog still cheap before 11 ye!

Where is the cheapest places to go for pints now in the City. Brog still cheap before 11 ye!

It's still cheap before 9:30. Not til 11 anymore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jason1984 wrote: »

Not sure what you mean.

I was passing the brog the other day and saw it in the window and was wondering what it was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jason1984 wrote: »

I, too, would love to know what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

It's still cheap before 9:30. Not til 11 anymore.
    Cheers , 930 good to know that so I avoided the shock of increase after it

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

Not sure what you mean.

I was passing the brog the other day and saw it in the window and was wondering what it was like.

Never had a pint of it in the brog but drink it regularly in soberlane and the vicarstown it's a tasty beer in fairness better than the regular lagers u see everywhere.

But back on topic i dont agree with any pub putting up there prices as the night goes on,but i think the brog is getting a bit of an unfair bashing on here cause they aint the only place doin it.

although it will be interesting if they carry on with the price increases when the night club opens upstairs

Never had a pint of it in the brog but drink it regularly in soberlane and the vicarstown it's a tasty beer in fairness better than the regular lagers u see everywhere.

But back on topic i dont agree with any pub putting up there prices as the night goes on,but i think the brog is getting a bit of an unfair bashing on here cause they aint the only place doin it.

although it will be interesting if they carry on with the price increases when the night club opens upstairs

They will.... they've had the nightclub there before...lots of times.

Advertisement