Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King

• 03-02-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭

I remember playing this game and i absolutely adored it

Is there anything like it on the current gen consoles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Ni No Kuni has drawn comparisons in reviews. I haven't played Ni No Kuni yet though.

Also loved DQ8, absolutely brilliant game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I can't imagine many Dragon Quest fans not finding lots and lots to love in Ni No Kuni. The first few hours have recaptured that sense of joy and adventure for me anyway.

Eternal Sonata is worth a look too - not as good as DQVIII, but still beautifully presented JRPG.

Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Graces f were cited in the Ni No Kuni thread as other possible alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What about the Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors compared to DQ8?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Headshot wrote: »
    I remember playing this game and i absolutely adored it

Is there anything like it on the current gen consoles?

Was that released on the ps2?

Was that released on the ps2?

yes

If anyone hasnt played that game, get out any buy it for the love of god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

yes

I'm afraid I have to disagree with that.

I bought it recently and found it didn't live up to the hype, the lack of depth combined with an uninteresting story and gameplay make it an overrated game.

I think the far majority would disagree with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I bought it recently and found it didn't live up to the hype, the lack of depth combined with an uninteresting story and gameplay make it an overrated game.

Have to agree with this sentiment. Was extremely envious of ps2 owners (being an Xbox owner) when it came out. Looked amazing. Got it for my 60gb ps3 about 4 years ago. Played it for roughly 20 hours and found it uninspiring and frustrating. The tales of series knocks the socks off this game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What about the Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors compared to DQ8?

Very different games. Swords isn't an RPG it's a linear on rails affair where you swing the Wiimote at enemies.

It's a game that takes a while to get going. It starts off slow but gets great later on. Also as you build up abilities the combat system gets a lot better and the enemies get weirder and weirder and are full of surprises.

The main storyline maybe very generic but the meat of Dragon Quest is the smaller stories in each town and some of them are surprisingly good. Even discounting the story the characters are excellent with Yangus and Trode being two of the best characters in a game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

yes

I was just looking through my ps2 collection and I have it,must play it after no no kuni.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Dragon Quest IV through VI DS ports are another option, if you can find them. Or of course DQIX on DS - a grand old game with some neat ideas but loses something with its emphasis on local multiplayer and generic party members.

Advertisement