Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix or Replace Astec system

Options
  • 03-02-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

I have an Astec system 63DV with 4 wired sensors downstairs and 2 PIR's one up and one down. The External Bell is dead , giving the 1 Sab error . I dont have the engineer code (have tried the default)so I cant do the reset to see what the issue acItually is . It has a phone dialler which works great and is a feature.
    Now the question , should I replace the system or try to fix it up . I understand astec have gone out of business and can be difficult to get parts for. I dont want to spend 100-200 euro fixing up a system (if its even possible) that will only last a year or 2 more anyway.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

At the moment the bell can be replaced using an S22 interface. These are starting to get scarce now though.
    Sensors contacts & PiRs etc can be converted. However if you replace the panel now you will need to replace everything in one go.
    Have you confirmed the problem is the bell itself ? It may be just a wiring problem. Get someone out to take a look first would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Thanks for the reply . I have read some other threads about the bell issue but all of them require an engineers code to diagnose.
    I just dont want to spend a lot of money to prop up a system which may or may not be salvageable in the short term. I presume im looking at 50-100 to diagnose the fault and then if the bells faulty another 50-100 for a new bell and interface card and even if its not , something similar to rectify the problem with cabling , or am I way off with these charges ?
    The current alarm is 7 years old and used existing cabling at the time which is only 4 core , so I reckon Im looking at recabling or wireless system (if I choose to replace it).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Was the house pre wired?
    If not then the Astec System is probably wired with the bare minimum. If this is the case then rewiring or wireless may be the best way.
    Get a few companies out to survey and give you options and prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

The house was wired when I moved in , but its a 20yr old house and I moved in 10 yrs ago and it appears to be 4 core which I think probably isnt up to scratch for modern systems. I was looking at the HKC Quantum Wireless and I'm being swayed toward it as I reckon at 7 yrs old things are going to start needing replacement on the existing system . I already have the Ext. bell issue , the battery will probably be due soon.
    I think I'll follow your advice and get someone to throw an eye over it and take their advice. I currently only have downstairs covered , but 1 of the upstairs windows is easily accessible.
    On a slight deivation from the current topic , I always assumed that I didnt need sensors upstairs because if someone broke in whil I was there , id know about it as I sleep upstairs and if smeone broke in while I wasnt there , the PIR on the upstairs landing would cover it . Is this reasonable ?

Thanks again for all your help

If its pre wired with 4 core it would still be ok with newer systems. You may be better off with a hybrid system using both wired and wireless. Siemens or HKC1070 Would be the best option here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭djmj

I was having this same problem with engineer code, but you can try to reset this code your self if it's not blocked. If it's blocked you can remove mother board and astec will be able to reset engineer code.
    Astec Ltd.,
    Unit 31,
    IDA Centre,
    Pearse Street,
    Dubin 2,
    Ireland.
    Phone: +353-1-670 4201

djmj wrote: »
    If it's blocked you can remove mother board and astec will be able to reset engineer code.

Astec are no longer around. If its locked an engineer would be able to reset it for you either way if thats what you want to do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi ,

I have an Astec system 63DV with 4 wired sensors downstairs and 2 PIR's one up and one down. The External Bell is dead , giving the 1 Sab error . I dont have the engineer code (have tried the default)so I cant do the reset to see what the issue acItually is . It has a phone dialler which works great and is a feature.
    Now the question , should I replace the system or try to fix it up . I understand astec have gone out of business and can be difficult to get parts for. I dont want to spend 100-200 euro fixing up a system (if its even possible) that will only last a year or 2 more anyway.

Thanks

Most of the parts for this system are gone by now but global sensors can be added. If it was a problem with the main control panel then I would say replace the system. If it is something minor like the bell or sensors that can be replaced then a repair would be the cheaper option.

Advertisement