Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new computer slows up & freezes

Options
  • 03-02-2013 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi i bought a new computer within the last 6 months and lately it appears to have slowed considerably and often freezes on me.

I sometimes get a text window when the computer freezes saying: "Microsoft Windows: The application is not responding. The program may respond again if you wait. Do you want to end the process?"

The freezing is more prevalent when i try to use the internet. Sometimes its ok when i use the wifi, but it has a complete fit when i try to use my mobile dongle and wont let me do anything?

The computer is sitting frozen in front of me and when i pressed ctrl-alt-delete, i got this message "failure to display security and shut down options: the logon process was unable to display security and logon options when ctrl-alt-delete was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press esc or restart the computer using the power switch."

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i need it and its greatly frustrating. The computer is a toshiba satellite l850 running windows 7 home premium. Service pack 1. Please and thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Hi i bought a new computer within the last 6 months and lately it appears to have slowed considerably and often freezes on me.

I sometimes get a text window when the computer freezes saying: "Microsoft Windows: The application is not responding. The program may respond again if you wait. Do you want to end the process?"

The freezing is more prevalent when i try to use the internet. Sometimes its ok when i use the wifi, but it has a complete fit when i try to use my mobile dongle and wont let me do anything?

The computer is sitting frozen in front of me and when i pressed ctrl-alt-delete, i got this message "failure to display security and shut down options: the logon process was unable to display security and logon options when ctrl-alt-delete was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press esc or restart the computer using the power switch."

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i need it and its greatly frustrating. The computer is a toshiba satellite l850 running windows 7 home premium. Service pack 1. Please and thank you

How frustrating . I would Just Start Taking screen grappa or photos with your iPhone of the messages to have proof and just bring/ send it back. Try the old " not fit for purpose for which it was intended" line. With a pc it's all kinds of blame games as
    No doubt they will try & blame viruses, etc but at this stage a new pc shouldn't be giving those types of errors. Write a few registered letters & threaten them wih the small courts. Worth the tenner. That will torment you forever .

You could spend the e60 and bring it to the PC doctor in swords Pavillions for diagnosis / fix - or try TheDataClinic.ie who rebuilt mine and found all my missing files & pics :0 it may sort it out for you - or not : (

• Registered Users Posts: 83,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Honestly, I usually encounter 'niggly' issues with PCs within 3-9 months, somewhere in there. They progress from "that's odd but irrelevant" to "This is driving me OCD", I never let it get to the point where it's actually disruptive though, and I just opt for a factory reset. If you purchased your machine OEM (Pre-built unit) then it has recovery options: use them. Back up your data to external media and put it back in factory-fresh software condition.

Other things you can try

-ccleaner for registry errors and disk cleanup
    -defragmentation (Defraggler is awesome, also from Piriform, makers of ccleaner)
    -malwarebytes scan to catch things most AV might not catch in realtime or post-scans

things to do before a wipe

-backup files, photos, documents
    -CONFIRM you have copies of those files on your external media (and not just shortcuts to them - especially when copying over from Libraries)
    -Make a general note of any software you will need after the reset, and for purchased-software (CAD, Office etc) be sure you have all the keys etc you need
    -It has also been mentioned in the forum before, its a good idea to make a copy of the Windows System folders (These are commonly System, System32 and SysWOW64), as these folders will contain your current drivers and help you avoid chasing them down online all over again. But it is a good idea to check your MFR for the latest drivers on your product download page anyway
    -Deauthorize any software you may need to (such as iTunes). There are methods to deauthorize later, but meh, I like to take the precaution.
    -Confirm you have restore media or a restore partition
    -Brew coffee, then wipe

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Thanks for the replies guys. Well seeing as i am sometimes waiting up to 30 mins for firefox to respond sometimes it can get very annoying. I think I will go ahead and try the factory reset before I go back to the shop as that's prob what they would do anyway. Just wondering about the windows system folders overheal mentioned, where do I find them and can I just copy/paste them like normal files and also where would I find restore media or a restore partition?

Think it's a good idea about the taking pictures on my phone of error messages. Dopey here was writing down what he saw.

Advertisement