Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alleged Homophobic Attack in Spar Dame Street, Reaction!

• 03-02-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

I'm posting this here primarily for the diverse opinion that will come from being posted in AH. So guys please discuss the following:

I've been thinking a lot about the alleged incident in Spar on Dame Street last week, I've listened to a lot of the commentary, including that of supposed leaders of the LGBT community and I have a few things I'd like to say:

1) The general consensus is that "the 2 lads, and all LGBT people should be showing discretion when showing each other affection in public for fear of incidents like this", however I call bull**** on this. We are not gonna change the attitude of ignorant homophobes is to normalise same sex relations in public.

2) Straight people who aren't homophobic but turn a blind eye to what allegedly happened in the Spar on Dame Street, you are just as culpable as the people who carry out these actions, all of us your Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender brothers and sisters, friends, cousins, sons, daughters, we need your help to normalise this if that means you sometimes having to fight a fight that isn't your own, tough cause everytime you do nothing when something like this happens in front of you, you are agreeing with the homophobic little pricks who carry out the actions!

3) I hate that I have to write this post! What difference does it make to people who someone else loves?

I'm sorry this status is so long but we really need change in this country and it won't come from us doing nothing, we can't allow this kind of thing to continue to happen.

So to the LGBT community, the straight people who aren't homophobic I ask that we all come together and even though we will never change the attitudes of those who don't want to see the light, we have to let them know that their actions are not condoned and if that means a fist fight in the street than bring it on!!!

http://www.thejournal.ie/spar-investigates-alleged-homophobic-incident-at-dame-street-store-773660-Jan2013/

for those who are not aware of what happened please see above link!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

WTF are you talking about Willis?

Are we meant to stand up and fight for every other perceived "hate crime"?

We would get nothing done. If I saw someone getting a beating that was outnumbered I would step in, but there are risks, plus most of the time you wouldn't know what it was about.

Were two guys kissing in Spar or something? Have you got a cape on?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

I'm not asking that you go out looking for this and to act on it, I'm saying when you see it happening intervene! Don't avoid it, don't pretend it isn't your problem, what would you do if the victim(s) were your friends, brother, sister, cousin? would you sit back and let it happen cause it isn't your fight?

Well the fact is, that everyone of the victims are someone's friends, brother, sister, cousin! Why are you happy to allow this to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭doubleyoubee

Reading your post was like watching a Glee box set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

rochey84 wrote: »
    2) Straight people who aren't homophobic but turn a blind eye to what allegedly happened in the Spar on Dame Street, you are just as culpable as the people who carry out these actions
    No we are not.
    everytime you do nothing when something like this happens in front of you, you are agreeing with the homophobic little pricks who carry out the actions!
    No we are not.

yeah it's a bit idealistic but if we can't dream of a better world how will we ever achieve it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

It's a post, not a status!!

I'm not asking that you go out looking for this and to act on it, I'm saying when you see it happening intervene! Don't avoid it, don't pretend it isn't your problem, what would you do if the victim(s) were your friends, brother, sister, cousin? would you sit back and let it happen cause it isn't your fight?

Well the fact is, that everyone of the victims are someone's friends, brother, sister, cousin! Why are you happy to allow this to happen?

Who said I was happy? I don't even know what happened.

Also, it would help if you took your mask off and re read my post...Capt. Hero.

Would you step in....have you ever stepped in? I have and sometimes it's just not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Did they ask for help though?
    If I saw people fighting in town I'd just assume it was drunken nonsense and leave them to it.
    If someone asked me for help though I would try stop the fight.
    I'm a peaceful spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

2) Straight people who aren't homophobic but turn a blind eye to what allegedly happened in the Spar on Dame Street, you are just as culpable as the people who carry out these actions, all of us your Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender brothers and sisters, friends, cousins, sons, daughters, we need your help to normalise this if that means you sometimes having to fight a fight that isn't your own, tough cause everytime you do nothing when something like this happens in front of you, you are agreeing with the homophobic little pricks who carry out the actions!

Bullsh1t. Some of us have our own sh1t to take care of.

yeah it's a bit idealistic but if we can't dream of a better world how will we ever achieve it!

Maybe start with someting small....like No Nukes....or recycle more.

I still don't actually know what you were talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

OP how about infroming those who are not awate of the incident as to what happen, and what the reaction is that you have been thinking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I was willing to give you a hearing up until-
    and if that means a fist fight in the street than bring it on!!!

That'll be a categorical NO then. Because I am neither a violent thug nor a savage. Violence will solve nothing.

Anyway, any chance of a link to the story for those of us not au fait with what happened?

Madam_X wrote: »
    No we are not.

No we are not.

does it make you feel better to think that?

Tell me if you saw a woman being mugged/raped and you could intervene and help her would you?

I'm assuming your answer there is yeah you would, so what changes if it is a person being battered when they could intervene, and that intervention only has to be calling the emergancy services.

Or even if you saw a fight in the street would you not think to call the garda?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm posting this here primarily for the diverse opinion that will come from being posted in AH. So guys please discuss the following:

I've been thinking a lot about the alleged incident in Spar on Dame Street last week, I've listened to a lot of the commentary, including that of supposed leaders of the LGBT community and I have a few things I'd like to say:

1) The general consensus is that the 2 lads, and all LGBT people should be showing discretion when showing each other affection in public for fear of incidents like this, however I call bull**** on this. We are not gonna change the attitude of ignorant homophobes is to normalise same sex relations in public.

3) I hate that I have to write this status! What difference does it make to people who someone else loves?

I'm sorry this status is so long but we really need change in this country and it won't come from us doing nothing, we can't allow this kind of thing to continue to happen.

So to the LGBT community, the straight people who aren't homophobic I ask that we all come together and even though we will never change the attitudes of those who don't want to see the light, we have to let them know that their actions are not condoned and if that means a fist fight in the street than bring it on!!!

Points one and three are sort of in conflict with each other.
    You say "...all LGBT people should be showing discretion when showing each other affection in public for fear of incidents like this,..."
    Yet... "What difference does it make to people who someone else loves?"

I know what your trying to possibly say but lets be honest, if we are to be a more fairer, equal society, as long as ALL lovers use generally accepted decorum/manners in public, anyone that of the LGBT community is equally entitled to give their partner equal show of affection as others, without a fear of being hassled.

To have to alter they ways to suit a small fringe bigoted few, is to give into bullying and intimidation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I've stepped into rows before

Some lad pushing around his girlfriend in Eyre Sq.

And they both turn on me, how dare I go near "me fella" :rolleyes:

Some women just seem to love the violent louts

As said above if I see I a row these days it's probably drunks, I'll stay walking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

if that means a fist fight in the street than bring it on!!!

Right up until they pull you to the ground and kick your head in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What happened in Spar on Dame Street last week?

I know nothing of what the op is talking about :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It's a post, not a status!!

This is probably a copy/paste from his Facebook profile. Do carry on people. :)

Biggins wrote: »
    Points one and three are sort of in conflict with each other.
    You say "...all LGBT people should be showing discretion when showing each other affection in public for fear of incidents like this,..."
    Yet... "What difference does it make to people who someone else loves?"

I know what your trying to possibly say but lets be honest, if we are to be a more fairer, equal society, as long as ALL lovers use generally accepted decorum/manners in public, anyone that of the LGBT community is equally entitled to give their partner equal show of affection as others, without a fear of being hassled.

To have to alter they ways to suit a small fringe bigoted few, is to give into bullying and intimidation.

Apologies Biggins, it was actually a quote from the supposed leaders of the LGBT community, give me a minute and I'll edit!

Apologies Biggins, it was actually a quote from the supposed leaders of the LGBT community, give me a minute and I'll edit!

No worries - the point I make still stands.
    (Basically, stuff the bullies!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Reaction when I saw the thread title:(

Reaction when I read the first post:confused:
    Reaction when I read
    Straight people who aren't homophobic but turn a blind eye to what allegedly happened in the Spar on Dame Street, you are just as culpable as the people who carry out these actions,
    :rolleyes:

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

This thread will probably get locked like the other ones but anyway...

One security guard was in the wrong and will be sacked and have a day in court. The two lads were not out of line IMO and were provoked so hopefully will get compensated.

So two gay guys were being intimate in a shop and security threw them out?

Am I close at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jacob T

♫ We got to work for a better future
    ♫ We've got to join hands for tomorrow
    Take the first step and you will see ♫
    The future begins with you and me ♫

♫ ♫♫

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Whoever tf these "LGBT leaders" are, I sure as feck don't listen to them and they don't tell me what to do or how I should react to things.

I'll make my own mind up thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Who?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Apologies to anyone who doesn't know the original story I have edited the OP to include the following link:

http://www.thejournal.ie/spar-investigates-alleged-homophobic-incident-at-dame-street-store-773660-Jan2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Peoples attitudes towards alternative sexuality are changing all the time, with the exception of a few small-minded bigots, but they're the kind of people who hate anyone who isn't like them (immigrants, gingers, goths, yada yada yada) so to hell with them, leave them to their hatred. Yes they are scum, but don't let them taint your view of the entire population, because it's just ludicrous, unfair and screams of sensationalism.

I don't think one homophobic security guard giving two guys abuse negates decades of progress in the mindset of a nation, if anything the outcry about the incident proves that the people of Ireland in general are far more in favour of equality for members of the LGBT community than going back to the pitchfork days, which is more than can be said for your call to arms. This kind of us-vs-them mentality is what causes hatred on both sides, let it go. Equality is happening, slowly but surely, so either get behind it or find another cause to champion, because thankfully this one has a limited life-span (hopefully).

Who?

Some Tom, Dick and Marriott.

• Advertisement

Who?

I would rather not name names but I'm talking about people who are highly involved in the GCN and BeLonGTo.

orestes wrote: »
    Peoples attitudes towards alternative sexuality are changing all the time, with the exception of a few small-minded bigots, but they're the kind of people who hate anyone who isn't like them (immigrants, gingers, goths, yada yada yada) so to hell with them, leave them to their hatred. Yes they are scum, but don't let them taint your view of the entire population, because it's just ludicrous, unfair and screams of sensationalism.

I don't think one homophobic security guard giving two guys abuse negates decades of progress in the mindset of a nation, if anything the outcry about the incident proves that the people of Ireland in general are far more in favour of equality for members of the LGBT community than going back to the pitchfork days, which is more than can be said for your call to arms. This kind of us-vs-them mentality is what causes hatred on both sides, let it go. Equality is happening, slowly but surely, so either get behind it or find another cause to champion, because thankfully this one has a limited life-span (hopefully).

I'm not just talking about that "one" security guard, there were obviously other people in that shop that stood back and allowed this to happen, why didn't they intervene and tell the security guard that he was out of line?

Were they afraid that they might not get their rolls? Did one of them call the garda?

I may have gone too far in calling for people to degenerate into fist fights but this is something that really winds me up and I just wish that we had full equality in this country!

Am I close at all?

IIRC and based on a one sided account:
    2 fellas kissed.
    Security man: "Dirty queers"
    2 fellas continued shopping.
    More abuse from security man telling them to get to ****.
    Squares up to one fella.
    Other fella pushes security man.
    Security man assaults both.
    2 fellas post about it on facebook.

Basically that's it.

Am I close at all?

There was some alleged abuse in Spar on Dame St last week. It was written about on spars facebook page. Lots of nasty comments and silly comments on their page despite the fact that they were only allegations.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/spar-investigates-claim-security-guard-subjected-couple-to-homophobic-abuse-3369549.html

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/01/29/ireland-gay-couple-kicked-out-of-spar-store-by-security-guard-for-kissing/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

2 fellas kissed.
    Squares up to one fella.

Basically that's it.

So aggravated assault on the security guard?

2 fellas kissed.
    Squares up to one fella.

Basically that's it.

Yeah 2 people post about it on Facebook, did you look at the link I posted? It has made national news, was a feature on a lot of phone in radio shows!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

If a person has the power to intervene (and that's rare in fairness, there is nothing wrong with them valuing their own safety) in ANY assault (why are you discriminating OP?) and they don't bother, then they're a dick... but obviously not as bad as the person/people doing the assaulting.

That's about all there is to it really.

To use your logic: If you haven't intervened (when you could) on a non gay person being assaulted, shame on you btw - you're as bad as the perpetrators. :mad:

See? It's silly. How do you know people witnessing it didn't call the guards? Does it suit you to assume they didn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Jacob T wrote: »
    ♫ We got to work for a better future
    ♫ We've got to join hands for tomorrow
    Take the first step and you will see ♫
    The future begins with you and me ♫

♫ ♫♫

What key is that in...

I would rather not name names but I'm talking about people who are highly involved in the GCN and BeLonGTo.

I'm not sure what they said though?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Were they afraid that they might not get their rolls? Did one of them call the garda?

Why would they call the guards?

If I was in a shop kissing a girl and security came along and said 'get out ya pair of straight fcukers' and he pushed us out the door I wouldn't go crying to the guards. FFS you have a chin for a reason...take things on it.

Yeah 2 people post about it on Facebook, did you look at the link I posted? It has made national news, was a feature on a lot of phone in radio shows!

I saw the original post on facebook. Not interested in other people opinions enough to listen to Joe Duffyyyyyyy or the papers.

We won't know what went on for sure until its in court if that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Those are reporting the alleged incident, probably going on the "facts" posted on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Think this is such a non story. Is a bit of personal abuse by some fella really that much to get so upset about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

As a gay man, I don't go chewing the face off my other half in Spar or on the street etc, why would I want to bring trouble on myself, society has just about accepted homosexuality, where did common sense go ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

From what I've read, the two had a few drinks inside them. What the security guy said (if it's true) was not acceptable in this day and age. But couldn't they have waited until they left the shop before sticking their throats down each others throats?

Madam_X wrote: »
    If a person has the power to intervene (and that's rare in fairness, there is nothing wrong with them valuing their own safety) in ANY assault (why are you discriminating OP?) and they don't bother, then they're a dick... but obviously not as bad as the person/people doing the assaulting.

That's about all there is to it really.

To use your logic: If you haven't intervened (when you could) on a non gay person being assaulted, shame on you btw - you're as bad as the perpetrators. :mad:

See? It's silly. How do you know people witnessing it didn't call the guards? Does it suit you to assume they didn't?

First off apologies, maybe my call to arms was a little emotive, (this stems from this being an emotive topic for me) I don't condone violence and as I suggested in my earlier reply to you that intervention can come in the form of simply calling the garda!

Secondly yes I have intervened and will continue to be that getting involved in the fight to protect the person being assaulted or calling the garda, or simply looking after the victim after the attack, the sexuality of the victim was not an issue in any of these cases as they seemed to be straight forward muggings in Dublin city centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I'm not just talking about that "one" security guard, there were obviously other people in that shop that stood back and allowed this to happen, why didn't they intervene and tell the security guard that he was out of line?

I may have gone too far in calling for people to degenerate into fist fights but this is something that really winds me up and I just wish that we had full equality in this country!

You are still basing an entire nations attitude towards alternative sexualities on a single incident, and one that we don't even have all of the information about.

But hey, don't let little things like perspective and rationality get in the way of your crusade. If it's on radio shows already, call Joe, you will fight right in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

One of the most stupidly ridiculous things I have read in a long time.

Dunno whether to be píssed off about it or just ignore it.

So I read it a second time and just laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭doubleyoubee

2 fellas kissed.
    Squares up to one fella.

Basically that's it.

* copies / pastes / mails to Ang Lee *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Why would you expect members of the public to fight your battles and get involved? I certainly wouldn't if I had witnessed it.

It's also terribly childish and niave to suggest that anyone who didn't get involved, are as responsible as the perpetrator.

Blay wrote: »
    FFS you have a chin for a reason...take things on it.

LOLOLOLOLOL

• Advertisement
Advertisement