Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The log of a tiny Thai boxer

Options
  • 03-02-2013 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone!

Decided to keep a log, after months of barely using my gym membership, running etc I've finally gotten back into a routine. Bit of background:

Female
    5'1" (and three quarters)
    54kg

The main goal is just to feel good, look good and be able to run 10k without vomiting. :D I'm now running three times a week, for 30 minutes a pop, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday. I'm doing strength training Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I've got Muay Thai twice a week and I also go wall climbing once or twice a week.

I'm working on devising a free weight programme as we speak. Might get help from a PT in the gym too, as this is the first time I've ever used free weights.

As for today, the oul' workout did not go the best. Between the wind, the rain, and the fact that this was my first time properly running in months (and I was never too good at it mind you) I managed a measly 1.9km in 16mins. I'm using this new pedometer on my iPhone and it says I burned 122cals in the process. Now usually I pay no attention to the "cals burned" when I'm using machines in the gym but I'm really curious about this because it seems like an awful lot for a very casual run. I suppose that's what you get when you use a free iPhone app to mark your progress. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭chocolatechips

It's been a terrible week of colds and laziness! At least my diet has improved though. :o

Did some a v. basic weights session in the gym, just working the arms today. Managed to lat pull down 25kg for 3 sets of 10 reps, and also managed 1 set of 10 reps with 35kg, although I thought I was going to get sick. :o Afterwards it was just chests presses at 15kg, 3 sets of 10 also did some work on a low rower but cannot remember how much for the life of me. Ran 2km in 10 minutes and then I was off to class.

Finding it hard to put my all into the gym this week, but hoping to improve this "ah sure that'll do" mindset of mine.

Today was a decent start to some strength training, new plan is to do this on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

Dumbbell Bench Press- 4 sets @ 12 reps- 5kg each (quite the struggle to keep the form right too, my arms wobbled all over the place for the last set :o )

Bent Over Row- 4 sets @ 12 reps- just the 10kg bar (plan on putting weights on this on Thurs, just wanted to make sure I was getting the movement right for today)

Bench Press- 3 sets @ 12 reps- just the 10kg bar

Lat Pulldown- 3 sets @ 12 reps- 27.5kg (hoping to be on 35kg in two weeks)

Push ups- 3 sets @ 15 reps (almost killed me, but hoping to do 20 reps next week)

Superman- 3 sets @ 15 reps (will most definitely be doing 20 reps on Thursday, too easy)

Plank- 4 sets - maxed at 45 seconds, was wrecked and did this at the end of the workout, hoping for one minute next time.

Not too shabby considering after this I went to the doctor and was told that I have a viral infection, stay in doors and away from other people for at least three days. :o

In an attempt to keep me motivated with my running I've decided to sign myself up for one of the 10k Hell and Back races.

There is one in the middle of June, and another in the middle of October. Not sure if I'll be fit enough for June, but might give it a go regardless.

Looking forward to Muay Thai tomorrow night, I'm itching to get my hands on our brand new sparring gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

In an attempt to keep me motivated with my running I've decided to sign myself up for one of the 10k Hell and Back races.

There is one in the middle of June, and another in the middle of October. Not sure if I'll be fit enough for June, but might give it a go regardless.

Looking forward to Muay Thai tomorrow night, I'm itching to get my hands on our brand new sparring gear!

Thinking of doing the one in June myself - go for it! :)

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Thinking of doing the one in June myself - go for it! :)

Just about to register today, I'm bulling that I didn't do it yesterday because apparently that was when the Early Bird special ended! €49 is a tad steep for a wee student like myself, but I'll go for it anyway when I get home tonight. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Just about to register today, I'm bulling that I didn't do it yesterday because apparently that was when the Early Bird special ended! €49 is a tad steep for a wee student like myself, but I'll go for it anyway when I get home tonight. :)

Also did not know the early bird special ended yesterday :(

Did another 2k in 15 minutes today. Not sure why I keep leaping from being able to do it in 10 mins to just about making it in 15.

I'm going to put it down to the viral infection and get a start on my two essays due this week. :o

For the boards summer challenge I think my 30 minutes a day will be running because I really have to improve on this. Hoping to be able to run 10k by May.

Not a great session today, might re-do the legs on Friday. Still not feeling great but hopefully will be back to normal tomorrow!

Ran @9km/h for five minutes.

Squats 3x12 @10kg weight

Lunges 3x12 @10kg weight

Calf Raise 4x12 @ BW for three sets, and 20kg for the last

DB Bicep Curl 6x12 @ 5kg weights (was supposed to do 3x12, and then do 3x12 EZ Bicep Curls but I don't know what the difference is, if anyone knows I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know!)

Side Plank did 2, had no watch on me so I don't know how long I held them for, around 30 seconds each I reckon.

Never got the chance to do my tricep push downs or my tricep dips, a group of lads were holding the machines for these when I was there so I reckon I'll just try do this workout earlier in the mornings in future!

Finally back on the horse. Had a fun workout today, two hours of wall climbing. :D Quite proud of myself because for the first time ever I almost made it to the top! :

Probably back in the gym tomorrow, Thursday and climbing Thursday night. Weekends here are pretty quiet too so hoping to put in a few hours in the gym and at the wall.

Logged on Thursday but it would appear my computer didn't post it, oh well. :o

Pretty poor session, I was absolutely shattered by the end and I didn't even finish the usual routine. I'm going to put it down to poor diet and not enough sleep because I know I really pushed myself.

DB Press 4x12 @5kg (actually was quite pleased with the improvement in my form)

Lat Pull Down 1x10 @25kg and 2x10 @20kg (down from last time I did this, not impressed at all)

Bent Over Row 5x12 @13kg (not sure if my form is right, will look at a video on Youtube because I feel like I wasn't bent over enough)

Superman 3x20

Plank 1x60 secs

Didn't even start my push ups or Barbell Bench Press, and couldn't finish my planks. Will be back in the gym tomorrow anyway so hopefully that session will be better.

• Advertisement

Finally figured out what to change with my arms day to help me finish the damn thing! I've decided to take out the push-ups and instead do 3 sets of 20 reps every night. My arms are the weakest part of my body, and finally figured out today that I completely give up hope once I get to the push ups. :o

1000m Row 5mins 27secs

Lat Pull Down 12x2 3x1 10x1 @25kgs

Bent Over Row 3x10 @20kg

DB Press 4x12 1x10 @5kg

Next time I'll add in my planks and supermans as well.

Decided to lower the sets from 4 to 3 for most of it and keep the reps between 8-12 depending on whether or not I max out. Hoping to work on the amount of weight I can lift rather than how many times I can.

Hopeful improvements in the next two weeks

DB Presses with 7.5kg
    Lat Pull Down with 30kg
    Bent Over Row with 25kg

Also the diet has vastly improved today! Feeling a bit tired from the lack of sugar and caffeine but hoping to see this improve in the next week. Tomorrow will be a leg day, along with Muay Thai and Wall Climbing in the evening. Hoping to get to the top of the wall this time!

Advertisement