Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed and endurance

Options
  • 03-02-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey..
    My footie season is startin up soon and i have been in the gym all winter. Only problem; i did nothin to improve my speed. How can i improve my speed? would squats with a weighted bar help?
    Cheers :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

If you are looking to work on speed you have to get out and work on speed.

What sort of gym exercises were you doing? When top end sprinting the power comes from your glute max and to a lesser extent your hamstrings (depending on if there is any dysfunction in the muscle firing sequence or weakness in the glutes causing compensation)

In order to work on speed development you want to be doing something like this.

3 x (3x50m sprints full out 90 seconds between reps) 5 min between sets

and two or three days later do the following session

3 x 150m (50m hard, 50m float at high speed, 50m hard)

3rd session of the week consists of

4x 200m gradual hills with walk back down recovery (5-7 min)

With these session the most important thing is focusing on the body running relaxed and not tensing up

Make sure to be very well warmed up before trying any of these also otherwise it is an injury waiting to happen

It will take a couple of weeks to see any noticeable improvement but it will work

Advertisement