Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shopping in christchurch

• 04-02-2013 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone,fairly new here just wondering if anyone can fill me in on what shopping is like in Christchurch?Is there anywhere similar at all to Penneys?Also food wise where is the best value to do food shopping?Myself and my fiancee are applying for our whv tomorrow and any help at all would be appreciated :D
    Cheers,
    Elaine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Pak n Save are generally the cheapest place for food shopping across NZ but quality of the meat and veg can be ****e. K-Mart and The Warehouse offer similar budget stuff to Penny's but not anywhere near the quality, stock up on socks and undies before you move down as they're bloody expensive down here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

pclancy wrote: »
    Pak n Save are generally the cheapest place for food shopping across NZ but quality of the meat and veg can be ****e. K-Mart and The Warehouse offer similar budget stuff to Penny's but not anywhere near the quality, stock up on socks and undies before you move down as they're bloody expensive down here!

Well said. Undercrackers are a rip off here. I spent 80 dollars last week on a few pairs and they're budget brand. While Pak n Save can be cheap for some things I honestly find the place disorganised and the the meat isn't great at all. I prefer new world out of the lot of them, for what I buy It's great. Clothes wise as pclancy mentioned you have K-Mart and the Warehouse, their clothes are cheap (in comparison to other places) but the quality is truly awful, I bought a few things in there like combats and jumpers for the building sites and they lasted no more than a few weeks before they disintigrated, pennies while cheap at least has a certain quality to it... plus K-Mart/Warehouse clothes are nowhere near Pennies in terms of fashion believe it or not! Bring as many clothes from home as possible, things at home are much cheaper, your Man United jersey will set you back about 180 dollars here as opposed to what, 30 euros at home for example. Remember its summer here, you might get cheap summer gear at home as its winter there right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 future mrs mckenna

cheers guys :) will try and bring as much clothes as possible!what sort of clothes would I need with regards winter time in new zealand?Also when does summer end there?We are hoping to leave around the 19th of this month!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

March and April will be lovely in Christchurch.

Roughly the weather starts to change in May, the end of the tramping (hiking season) is usually the end of April so that will give you an idea.

The winter in ChCh will be similar to here in Ireland except maybe less cold and wet so whatever you wear here will do over there.

Not sure if you're interested but have you thought about doing any skiing? Mt. Hutt isn't that far from ChCh and when I was there they did early bird ski passes that were a good bit cheaper. If you're interested it could be something to look into. The Ski season on Mt. Hutt runs from about June to maybe September or even August.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 future mrs mckenna

CatFromHue wrote: »
    March and April will be lovely in Christchurch.

Roughly the weather starts to change in May, the end of the tramping (hiking season) is usually the end of April so that will give you an idea.

The winter in ChCh will be similar to here in Ireland except maybe less cold and wet so whatever you wear here will do over there.

Not sure if you're interested but have you thought about doing any skiing? Mt. Hutt isn't that far from ChCh and when I was there they did early bird ski passes that were a good bit cheaper. If you're interested it could be something to look into. The Ski season on Mt. Hutt runs from about June to maybe September or even August.

wow I never thought of skiing,i've never been,is it hard to do?Will March and April be similar to the weather in summer here when we get the odd good bit of weather?usually about 5 days overall :D i thought winter started in March so I'm a bit relieved,I thought I would be going from winter here to winter there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement