Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seller Financing

Options
  • 04-02-2013 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I believe this is relatively common in the states but have never heard of it happening here. Is there are reason for this? Given the banks current attitudes to lending it would probably appeal to a lot of people.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Chiorino wrote: »
    I believe this is relatively common in the states but have never heard of it happening here. Is there are reason for this? Given the banks current attitudes to lending it would probably appeal to a lot of people.

It was common here for years and years- its known as bridging finance. All institutions offered it, at varying rates, but normally less than the overdraft rate. When property was reliably selling in reasonable timeframes it meant people could buy somewhere else, financing it with a bridging loan, while they sold their own property. Bank of Ireland are still offering bridging finance under strict criteria, and by god you pay for it. I'm not aware of other lenders still having products of this type on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

smccarrick wrote: »

It was common here for years and years- its known as bridging finance. All institutions offered it, at varying rates, but normally less than the overdraft rate. When property was reliably selling in reasonable timeframes it meant people could buy somewhere else, financing it with a bridging loan, while they sold their own property. Bank of Ireland are still offering bridging finance under strict criteria, and by god you pay for it. I'm not aware of other lenders still having products of this type on offer.
    Think we have wires crossed here. Seller financing as in when the person selling the property effectively provides the mortgage by taking a deposit and subsequent repayments directly from the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The banks are lending just not foolishly, if your asking are there any foolish sellers lending the money to buy their own properties, no. Why would a seller finance a property a bank wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Why would a seller finance a property a bank wouldn't.

Well in the US if a buyer doesn't keep up repayments then the seller just repossesses. As it's not so easy to repossess here I can see why seller financing is not common.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

zac8 wrote: »

Well in the US if a buyer doesn't keep up repayments then the seller just repossesses. As it's not so easy to repossess here I can see why seller financing is not common.
    Ok, think you might have just answered my question. How do repossessions work in the US as opposed to here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

zac8 wrote: »

Ah Jeysus that's far too much hassle! If I sell my house I want the full price of it not .x of the selling price. I could also see my bank throwing up problems when it comes to the new mortgage.
    What kind of borrower would they be, if they can't get a mortgage from a bank? And lastly would there not be tax implications as well?

Advertisement