Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin, how much to pay rent?

Options
  • 04-02-2013 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Ok so I am moving to Dublin from a very small town where rent is cheap. Looking online for a place in Dublin (for 1 person) and it seems expensive. What percentage of take home pay is normal to pay on rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

dave98 wrote: »
    Ok so I am moving to Dublin from a very small town where rent is cheap. Looking online for a place in Dublin (for 1 person) and it seems expensive. What percentage of take home pay is normal to pay on rent?

I don't think anyone can give a normal rental price without knowing what you're looking for. Big difference between the price of a shared rental in the commuter belt to a penthouse in D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

I don't think anyone can give a normal rental price without knowing what you're looking for. Big difference between the price of a shared rental in the commuter belt to a penthouse in D4.
    Sorry, looking around rathfarnham , rathgar, kimmage, city centre. Need washer/dryer etc. would prefer place on my own

If you want your own place then you're looking around the 700/800 mark minimum I'd say.

You don't need a dryer - they will drive your bills up massively. Just get a clothes horse or two and dry your clothes when you're at work/overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

You are looking at €850 min for anything half decent...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1295226
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1301349

something like the above may be of interest, i live in rathfarnham now and will be getting back down to dundrum once the lease is up, it is a far superior location with far superior amenities, luas, pubs, club, cinema, 24 hour tesco etc...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1295226
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1301349

something like the above may be of interest, i live in rathfarnham now and will be getting back down to dundrum once the lease is up, it is a far superior location with far superior amenities, luas, pubs, club, cinema, 24 hour tesco etc...
    Thanks man they both look very good. My prob is I'm unfamiliar with the city so unsure where to look but I appreciate those links

If you want your own place then you're looking around the 700/800 mark minimum I'd say.

You don't need a dryer - they will drive your bills up massively. Just get a clothes horse or two and dry your clothes when you're at work/overnight
    Lol true

if you were going for suburbs, i would take dundrum by a mile, the fact you are on luas there, means you can also get to pubs in rathmines, ranelagh and town very easily. Where will you be working?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    if you were going for suburbs, i would take dundrum by a mile, the fact you are on luas there, means you can also get to pubs in rathmines, ranelagh and town very easily. Where will you be working?
    I will be working in kimmage so need somewhere close enough - on a bus route at least

I will be working in kimmage so need somewhere close enough - on a bus route at least

I'm not familiar with the bus routes that go to/through Kimmage but I think you'll have to use google maps and www.Dublinbus.ie to do a journey planner from any prospective dwelling to your work address.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

You can get a studio in Rathmines which is near Kimmage and the city centre for around €475 pm to €525 with shared laundry facilities but own kitchen and bathroom.

do you drive? because if you dont, youd need to live either very close to where you work or somewhere with good bus connections to kimmage. where exactly in kimmage will you be working? please looks big enough to me on google maps...

OP, just saw this pop up on my facebook timeline - might be of use to you.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/9706/CORE%20DUBLIN%20BUS%20ROUTES.pdf

You are actually a life saver, I dont drive so this is perfect. Thanks so much really helps me out a lot!!

You are actually a life saver, I dont drive so this is perfect. Thanks so much really helps me out a lot!!

No problemo.

Print that out, get onto google maps and find a nice commute via public transport or a place within walking distance of your work place.

Advertisement