Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions wanted for Best (X) things in Galway 2013

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 TadghsMuffins

Best place for a heavy breakfast or lunch: Mr.Waffles (opposite the hospital beside the NUIG)
    Best fishing spot: Bearna pier (during Mackerel season, not much to catch otherwise)
    Best music: Tig Coili
    Best cheap clothes shop: Penneys
    Best spendier clothes shop: New Look
    Best milkshakes: Shake Milkshake Bar (Oh Jesus what I would do to that place...)
    Best posh hotel to chill at: The Ardilaun hotel (Lovely atmosphere, and you can always overhear an interesting conversation)
    Best Curry Cheese Chips: Mahons on Threadneedle.Rd

dinneenp wrote: »
    have to say I love the one from Ginos on Shop Street.

Gino's is a bit expensive but DAMN It's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Where's that now? I know where Threadneedle Road is, but Mahons? Do you mean Mahers, and do they do chips? I thought it was just a shop. Although I guess it would make sense, what with the schools around.

Eeden wrote: »
    Do you mean Mahers, and do they do chips? I thought it was just a shop. Although I guess it would make sense, what with the schools around.

Ah yes, that's what I meant :o Yeah, 2 euro, best curry cheese chips you can get. It's handy but it's awful full at lunch times on school days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Best place for a heavy breakfast or lunch: Mr.Waffles (opposite the hospital beside the NUIG)
    Best fishing spot: Bearna pier (during Mackerel season, not much to catch otherwise)
    Best cheap clothes shop: Penneys
    Best spendier clothes shop: New Look
    Best milkshakes: Shake Milkshake Bar (Oh Jesus what I would do to that place...)
    Best posh hotel to chill at: The Ardilaun hotel (Lovely atmosphere, and you can always overhear an interesting conversation)

You have a very different meaning for spendier i see, as New Look is in no way spendy, average price of mens clothing in there is about €20!

• Advertisement

You have a very different meaning for spendier i see, as New Look is in no way spendy, average price of mens clothing in there is about €20!
    Spend(ier) As in, you may be able to get 20 euro bits of clothing in New look, but it's all a fair bit cheaper in pennies ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bofinfan

Great advice, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭Guffy

Burrito... Boojam its unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

gufc21 wrote: »
    Burrito... Boojam its unreal

That'll be Boojum but you're spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Best place to watch the first test in the rugby tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Ok, the opinions are in:
    FOOD:

Best Brownie- Treat cafe (Claregalway and Lackagh), La Petit Delice
    Best Bakery: (2) Gourmet Tart Company
    Pub Grub: Dáil Bar
    Best fast food pizza-
    (2)Napoli, next to Neachtains, Milanos, Pizza and Pasta Napoli
    Best Kebab- Charcoal Grill
    Best Steak: Eat @ Massimo, Scottys
    Best lunch: Eat @ Massimo, upstairs @ McCambridges, Mr. Waffle, Coco Salthill, Buskers, Maxwells, Goyas, Kelly's, Twelve Barna, Padraigín's Furbo, Skeff, Homeplate (cheap lunch)
    Best cheap 'n cheerful food: Fat Freddy's, McDonaghs, Napoli
    Best sandwich- Cellar Cajun Spiced Chicken Ciabatta at The Cellar (according to Hellmann's Sandwich Challenge)
    Lucks. Excellent veggie stuff too. Great value rolls
    Best Crepe: Java’s
    Best Tapas- Lunares.
    Best Indian: (2) Eastern Tandoori
    Best Chips: Vinny's,
    Best onion rings- Salthill Fish and Chips.
    Burrito... Boojam
    Breakfast: (2) Homeplate, Mr.Waffles (opposite the hospital beside the NUIG), Feeney's Cafe in Salthill, The Homeplate.
    Best reasonable date restaurant - Rouge (Ard Bia for a bit spendier)
    Best Butcher: Herterich's on Lombard Street for Pork, McSully's in Renmore for Beef.
    Ice cream ginos
    Best Street Food: (3 )Indian Food guy @ Sunday Market, Govindas Sat/Daniels Doughnuts

DRINKS & PUBS

Best Trad Sessions - Crane, Coilí's, Western
    Best Pub Atmosphere for chatting over a pint - Neachtains, The Crane, The Cottage, Townhouse
    Best folk/ballad/country session- Wednesdays Padraigs.
    Coffee: Neachtains, Galway Roast
    Best Bars: Dáil, Quays, Townhouse, Salt House, Buskers, Dew Drop, King's Head, Skeff, Cottage in Salthill, Front Door before it gets too busy, Tigh Cóilí, Kelly's, McSwiggans

Best Beer- (2) The Salt House
    Best pub beer selection: The Salthouse
    Friendliest door staff- Monroes downstairs.
    Best hidden karaoke - Old Forge
    Best cocktail: G hotel, House Hotel

MISCELLANIOUS

Most efficient taxi company- City Taxis.
    Friendliest convenience store- Lucks.
    Best bookies- Brian Fahy.

Best clothing store on a budget: TK Maxx, (2) Penneys Eyre Sq Centre

Best upmarket clothes shops: BT's, Tommy shop, Les Jumelles, New Look
    Best Pharmacy: WeCare Salthill (beside Mortons)

Best Free thing to do:

Walk the prom, then down the path to the caravan park, across the grass towards the bluff, over the hill to Silver strand and then up the road to the woods for a wander and some wild garlic picking and then take the same route back to town!
    Go to any pub and sit, read the paper/people watch (seating outside Neachtains) and have a cup of tea/pint.
    Go to the library
    jump into Galway Bay
    Best Place to bring elderly tourists to shop - Treasure Chest.

Best posh hotel to chill at: The Ardilaun hotel (Lovely atmosphere, and you can always overhear an interesting conversation), The G Hotel
    Best place to sit and people watch: (2) outside Neachtains, Eyre Square

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Great, thanks dinneenp!
    I'll copy your collection to a stickied post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement