Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage shelving.

• 04-02-2013 1:47am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just putting the finishing touches in my new garage.
    Looking around the web at various pics of shelving and that. Will be putting in shelving for a lenght of 16ft and 9ft high.
    What width is a good width and does anyone have any good recommendations on layouts?

Thinking maybe 4 sections of 4ft long. Not sure what height divide though. Maybe have one of the 4ft sections with doors so that any "good" tools can be put away out of prying eyes! :)

Be good to have a right shelve for screws/nails/rawlplugs/bolts etc.
    I have various tools, from tiling, plastering. saws, hammers, levels, chops saw, generator etc. Built the house myself so I have a big collection :)

One thing, and maybe someone has an idea for this. We do our own recycling, so currently I have canvas bags for each type. Paper, cardboard and 2 different types of plastics. I THINK I have seen large plastic boxes, which I could store the recycling stuff in and then take them to the bring centres.

Any ideas of a layout to use and integrated into this shelving.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

yop wrote: »
    Just putting the finishing touches in my new garage.
    Looking around the web at various pics of shelving and that. Will be putting in shelving for a lenght of 16ft and 9ft high.
    What width is a good width and does anyone have any good recommendations on layouts?

Thinking maybe 4 sections of 4ft long. Not sure what height divide though. Maybe have one of the 4ft sections with doors so that any "good" tools can be put away out of prying eyes! :)

Be good to have a right shelve for screws/nails/rawlplugs/bolts etc.
    I have various tools, from tiling, plastering. saws, hammers, levels, chops saw, generator etc. Built the house myself so I have a big collection :)

One thing, and maybe someone has an idea for this. We do our own recycling, so currently I have canvas bags for each type. Paper, cardboard and 2 different types of plastics. I THINK I have seen large plastic boxes, which I could store the recycling stuff in and then take them to the bring centres.

Any ideas of a layout to use and integrated into this shelving.

600mm depth would be handy...for use as work benches and for storing larger/bulkier items.

Ikea sell large plastic recycling boxes with swing lids on them for not alot of euros.

They can also be used as kids toy boxes.

Keep the sockets about 1000mm on the walls,so that you can quickly and easily plug and unplug power tools.

The sockets will be above bench height.

Thats what I did with my garage.....5 double socket in 20mm galvanized metal back boxes and conduit and all above 1000mm in height.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cheers Paddy.
    I have it all wired and plastered, ceiling skimmed, painted and the work bench done on in :) Have another wall for the workbench, 15ft long of workbench that was my sisters kitchen work top :)

That wud be the idea with the boxes. Not up near there at all, so will see what I can arrange to get them delivered down.
    Big boxes wud do the job, and as I type this I am now watching Beyonce on the TV in the superbowl :)

Cheers Paddy.
    I have it all wired and plastered, ceiling skimmed, painted and the work bench done on in :) Have another wall for the workbench, 15ft long of workbench that was my sisters kitchen work top :)

That wud be the idea with the boxes. Not up near there at all, so will see what I can arrange to get them delivered down.
    Big boxes wud do the job, and as I type this I am now watching Beyonce on the TV in the superbowl :)

Did you also wire it for alarm cables,Cat5E and also co-ax too???

Handy to have a TV in the garage while you are doing a few bits and bobs.:D

Cat5E for a phone line and/or security cameras and alarm cables for alarm system and shock/anti tamper sensors.:)

And some co-ax for a TV and also CCTV cameras (if not wired with cat5e).

Oh and mains water too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Full wired upstairs and down. Have a gym upstairs with 2 double coax and 2 runs of cat6.
    Downstairs I have a single run of coax and a run of cat 6.

Its ready to run :)

Will throw up a few pics one of the nights.

Full wired upstairs and down. Have a gym upstairs with 2 double coax and 2 runs of cat6.
    Downstairs I have a single run of coax and a run of cat 6.

Its ready to run :)

Will throw up a few pics one of the nights.

Ah good to hear you were and are on the ball.

Theres alot of people who wouldnt think to run all those various cables to a garage.

I did it with my own garage,thinking of practicality,security,comfort,entertainment and leisure.(Mains Water,3 x Cat5E,2 x Co-Ax,8 x 6 core Alarm cables)

Mate of mine recently built a house and garage.
    He never thought of running mains water to a garage,and hes a mechanic.

I asked him...."so what about mains water and a water heater for washing your hands or cleaning down cars/car parts"???

Lets just say he wasnt too pleased with himself,when he realized that he had forgotten about this "little matter" when having the garage built.
    Lots of curse words on his part,and me in stitches laughing at his reaction to me question..:pac::pac::D

• Advertisement

Well he should have know better!!!!
    Have a toilet and handbasin upstairs and a sink downstairs, all bought 2nd hand for small money :)

A bit of "thinking" can go a long way ;)

These would work a treat;

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90076364/#/60076365

Wonder do they have them in IKEA Ireland?

They are the very boxes Im on about in post 2..

They have them in Ikea Balymun.:)

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90076364/

Think there is some header down here who goes up in a van and collects from IKEA. Might try and organise a run with him. Have to get a kids bed and stuff for the new "wan" before he/she arrives. :D

Think there is some header down here who goes up in a van and collects from IKEA. Might try and organise a run with him. Have to get a kids bed and stuff for the new "wan" before he/she arrives. :D

If you are close to an Argos...then this might be of similar use to you.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8423328/Trail/searchtext%3EWASTE+BIN.htm

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddy. I must see what 34l is so that I can get an idea.

Cheers

Thanks Paddy. I must see what 34l is so that I can get an idea.

Cheers

No worries.:)

Im of to my bed now.so I will bid you a good night.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I'm just in the same position as yourself, just putting the finishing touches to the Garage. It's a decent Garage 24 x24 ft. What I have done is I put up Twin Slot adjustable shelving uprights and Brackets sourced in the uk. and used 9 x 1 inch timber boards for the Shelves. I spaced the uprights at 600 to 700 mm centers. To prevent any shelves sagging over time.
    I purchased 1 meter Lengths of uprights and used 3 different size brackets 320, 370 and 470 sized Brackets.
    I have my sockets in at about 54 inches high around the walls and so I used 1 upright above the Cabling and 1 below spaced as above. I used the smaller brackets over a Bench area so as they would not stick out too far. With all the adjustment available to me I can set my shelves at whatever height I like.
    I now have 2 walls with plenty of Shelving 14 ft on each Wall in an l shape.
    Only yesterday I purchased some PVC Boxes about 18 X 12 inches in a local store very reasonably priced, which will hold a lot of stuff without falling every time your looking for something.
    So far it's looking great, and she's delighted to get so much stuff out of the
    House.
    If you need any info just pm me.

Thanks Sky. That sounds like a great setup.
    Would you have any pics? I can PM my email if you do. Be great to get an idea of what it looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Hi Yop, Yes I can take some pictures the weekend and email them to you if you pm me your email address. I'm just finishing off fitting the last few shelves so hopefully I'll have it all done by then. I'll give you all the details of where I sourced everything.

Advertisement