Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding Fine NZ

• 04-02-2013 2:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I got pulled over by the cops in NZ last June/July for going above the speed limit. The officer issued me with an on the spot fine of $120. He took my name and Melbourne address from my Aussie licence although I've since moved address. He didn't take down my licence number. The thing is, I've lost the ticket ages ago and I never received anything in the post from the NZ police. I'm going to NZ in March for work and I'm worried that I'll get in trouble at Auckland airport when I land.

I know some people will just tell me to pay the fine now but I'd rather not have to go to all the hassle of calling NZ to get them to find the fine (I'm not even sure of the exact date it was on) if it's a case that I may not need to pay it. If I do get stopped at the airport, I have no problem paying it there and then seeing as I was in the wrong in the first place. Possibly I'm being paranoid for no reason but I'm just worried I'll get stopped from entering etc.

Has anyone ever been stopped at the airport in NZ over a speeding fine? If so, can I just pay it there and then?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Moving to NZ forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

AFAIK you may get stopped leaving the country if you haven't paid your fines. If you already departed then you're most likely in the clear. I would imagine that you could have a problem hiring a car tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Cheers for that. I won't be renting a car while I'm there anyway. If I did get stopped, I'd have no problem paying the fine there and then anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Just an update on this one in case anyone is in a similar predicament in the future. I got into NZ no problem and there was no mention of the outstanding fine at the airport. All good.

Advertisement