Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell 2400 unplugged network cable after install

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JimmyTee

Update # whatever

I picked up an other dimension 2400, swapped hdd, ram and dvd drive, loaded up xp then driver in the correct order.

No good same story, how can this be. I have had my internet connected to another one of these machines 12 months ago without issue.

Help...................

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Look at router, is ethernet out, on,enabled.?
    TRY ethernet cable in another pc, or laptop.
    you could get a dell ,athlon,or pentium 4, no hardrive, 30 euro on adverts ie.
    Sounds like you want an older, pc for webbrowsing,maybe media server,
    eg cpu 2.oghz, 1gig ram, thats very quiet ,passive cooling,128meg grahics card,
    eg latest 3core pcs, run hot,need alot of cooling.=loud fans
    in my experience you can load ethernet driver anytime,
    after the basic motherboard/chipset drivers are loaded,
    most of the time, windows will load ethernet drivers as part of the install process.

riclad wrote: »
    Would it not be easier to just buy a usb to ethernet,unit, 10 euro from amazon co uk,
    rather than taking out the whole motherboard,take out network cards,
    less cards = cooler pc.I GET 11meg,/ PER second on my usb ethernet unitITS as fast as a 10/100 network card.OR try bios, reset to factory settings,did you change any bios setting, re network speed, does the motherboard not have built in ethernet?

Got one of these and the same old story.

:confused:

I GOT a hp laptop,windows xp,ethernet socket doesnt work,plugged in
    usb to ethernet,took 2mins to install drivers.IT gets ten,meg per second
    internet speed.DO you see an lan icon in system,tray ,with,x ,red ,icon.
    does usb unit show up in network,connections,? just go to winxp,32bit,click setup.exe, reboot pc, plugin usb unit,takes 3 minutes,goes to new device detected usb device,
    then ethernet device detected.unit glows green, when it detects ,connects to network,
    SO the whole setup takes ABOUT 7 mins for the whole usb unit, installation ,connect to router, to complete.

its an old pc, sounds like motherboard, the chip ,or circuit that deals with ethernet connection, is faulty.IT Might be a dry joint.

• Advertisement

You could go to electronic recycling finglas,they always have loads of dell pcs,there,pentium4,athlons, Celeron cpu,1.5, 2.0ghz,512 meg ram ,dvdrom drive,cdrw.
    a dell pc unit,no hd there costs,30 euro approx.
    They might do a trade in on the 2400, remove the hardisk before you bring it in.
    LAST time i was there they had about 50 dell pc units.
    I go there ,to get parts to fix old pcs,eg ide drives ,ram, etc
    Can you just use a wifi card in that pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

So you moved the HDD to a different machine with the same model number and that didn't work, you installed a USB to Ethernet device and that doesn't work either ? It sounds like a bad install of Windows ?! 2 network cards, 1 USB to ETH, new machine but same install of XP ? Common denominator is Windows XP by the sounds of it. Or at the very least software of some sort be it drivers or a corrupt XP disc. Either that or you were extremely unlucky and managed to pick up 2 faulty machines !

I have an an old P4 Dell XPS here that used an nVidia chipset for the North and South bridge that would lose its SATA controller and all the PCI slots intermittently before losing them permanently, it was down to bad Caps on the mainboard.

On the USB <> ETH device, did Windows recognise it the device ? Does it show up in Device Manager ? Is networking the only function that doesn't work ? Is sound, Mouse, Keyboard, CD/DVD Playback and Video all working correctly ?

Can you ping the localhost at least ? ping 127.0.0.1, this will at least let you know networking is installed and working.

Ken

TRY the usb unit, using a linux livecd, if theres a unix driver, you could just install unix,on a 5 gig partition ,alongside windows,
    IN a previous post,he said he tried using a linux ,mint livecd,
    and the ethernet cards did not work,
    that points to a motherboard ,circuit fault.ie hardware fault.
    ie not an os fault.
    it only takes 4 minutes to load mint os,livecd, plug in usb unit first
    I think he tried 3 separate ethernet cards.
    if you buy a dell in finglas ,ask him to turn it, on,power up,4 3 minutes,just to make sure motherboard is not dead, maybe ,boot up, a livecd,unix.
    or put ad on adverts.ie,
    dell 2400 motherboard wanted.
    i installed mint on 2 dell pcs, it works fine, detects all devices,chipsets.

I took the machine back to the guy who owned it with a wifi pci card installed.

I said for the hell-of-it I plugged in his Ethernet to the O/B Ethernet port.

connected to the internet straight away, no hassle.

So it was my internet was the problem, I still don't understand how I have connected maybe 30-40 different machines to this cable including Dell's, it's connect to my main PC right now.

To make this even stranger he has the same broadband supplier as me.
    I can't even blame my routers as I bypassed both of them.

I Still have the other one of these with the same problem if anybody want to throw a fresh idea into the pot so i can see this thing out.

Thanks for all the Ideas.

What colour is the ethernet cable you used at home ?

Ken

• Advertisement

TRY the usb unit, using a linux livecd, if theres a unix driver, you could just install unix,on a 5 gig partition ,alongside windows,
    IN a previous post,he said he tried using a linux ,mint livecd,
    and the ethernet cards did not work,
    that points to a motherboard ,circuit fault.ie hardware fault.
    ie not an os fault.
    it only takes 4 minutes to load mint os,livecd, plug in usb unit first
    I think he tried 3 separate ethernet cards.
    if you buy a dell in finglas ,ask him to turn it, on,power up,4 3 minutes,just to make sure motherboard is not dead, maybe ,boot up, a livecd,unix.
    or put ad on adverts.ie,
    dell 2400 motherboard wanted.
    i installed mint on 2 dell pcs, it works fine, detects all devices,chipsets.

Your post are very difficult to read and understand, are you posting from a phone ?

Ken

Maybe his router ,has slightly different settings,different wifi channel.I should have said, turn off firewall, turn off wpa2,all security off on your router.
    Temporarily, while testing that pc.

The guy has tried 2 different NICs and a USB to ETH adaptor. Unless he had MAC isolation on his router (no offense to the OP but it seems unlikely) then I can't see how this could happen unless he was using the same cable on all connections. I don't recall him/her mentioning a WiFi card at any point ?!

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    What colour is the ethernet cable you used at home ?

Ken

Blue ?

Why do you ask

IN one of the earlier posts, he said, i got an old wifi card from the attic.I think it worked,but he wanted to use the ethernet on the pc.IT must be something to do with wifi security settings,or a different channel no.
    Well its handy to have a usb ethernet unit, if you are testing or fixing pcs.
    MY laptop wifi works on linux, Ubuntu its ok, on windows xp, it disconnects after 3 minutes,reconnects ,Then disconnects again ,at random time periods.SO i just plugged in a usb ethernet unit.And it never disconnects.
    if HIS router had mac filtering turned on,the wifi card would not have worked.

FYI

My internet is supplied via an agent of Rapid Broadband

http://www.rapidbroadband.ie/index.php

it's not a very common service but it works well.

IN one of the earlier posts, he said, i got an old wifi card from the attic.I think it worked,but he wanted to use the ethernet on the pc.IT must be something to do with wifi security settings,or a different channel no.
    Well its handy to have a usb ethernet unit, if you are testing or fixing pcs.
    MY laptop wifi works on linux, Ubuntu its ok, on windows xp, it disconnects after 3 minutes,reconnects ,Then disconnects again ,at random time periods.SO i just plugged in a usb ethernet unit.And it never disconnects.
    if HIS router had mac filtering turned on,the wifi card would not have worked.

That' right i used a D-link PCI wifi card no problem.

My wifi has no security on it.

It bugs me when I can't solve these kind of problems.

But like I say I by-passed my routers and it made no difference..ie direct to antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

is the lan connector disabled in the bios?

AS he said he,plugged in into pc owners router, it connected to lan ,problem solved .

Advertisement