Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canberra?

Options
  • 04-02-2013 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hey folks just looking for a bit of info on Canberra. Im in Sydney at the moment but my boss is sending me down to Canberra pretty soon to a job he has starting there. I guess Im just wondering what its like to live there, anything of interest there to pass a bit of time in the evenings after work? Much by way of nightlife? Many Irish about? Just trying to get an idea of the place before going down!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I'm based in Sydney, but was down in Canberra visiting a mate during Christmas.
    Maybe it was because it was holiday season, but I found it to be just a big town stretched out for miles and miles with very little in between - including people. We were given the tour of the local attractions which consisted of parliament hill, a big lake, lots of roundabouts and a few cafes.

Underwhelming and definitely not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Its great spot for working in, its a total different kettle of fish compared to Sydney.

Next to no traffic in the mornings etc.

It is a bit on the quite side so you will probably love it or hate it.

Still a good night life, King o Malleys would be the main Irish pub, its in the city center or "civic" as the locals call it. Always a crowd in there and plenty of Irish around.

Dont judge canberra based on what everyone tells ya, try if for yourself.

There are a lot of companies coming down from Sydney lately, now that work has gotten a bit tighter.

Depending on what time of the year you are in Canberra it gets pretty cold in winter too

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

I like Canberra, despite what everyone says about it! It's abit of a novelty from Sydney as there's barely any traffic in it. There's a fantastic War Memorial Museum which gives a brilliant account of Australia's history.

I have friends living there and they said its a great place to save money as its quieter. Rent is alot cheaper than Sydney. There's a lovely town called Bowral on the way from Sydney to Canberra which is worth stopping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

This isn't going to be of much help cos I was only there for two days but all I remember are the roundabouts ... never driven around so many in my life! So if you like roundabouts ....

It seems a nice place though, might be good to chillax there for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

luder wrote: »
    Its great spot for working in, its a total different kettle of fish compared to Sydney.

Next to no traffic in the mornings etc.

It is a bit on the quite side so you will probably love it or hate it.

Still a good night life, King o Malleys would be the main Irish pub, its in the city center or "civic" as the locals call it. Always a crowd in there and plenty of Irish around.

Dont judge canberra based on what everyone tells ya, try if for yourself.

There are a lot of companies coming down from Sydney lately, now that work has gotten a bit tighter.

Depending on what time of the year you are in Canberra it gets pretty cold in winter too

+1 on all these points.

i didnt spend long there but i really liked it. people there are usually very friendly. canberra has a bigger turn over of people than other cities. lots of aussies come there for some government job for a few years and know what its like to be a newbie in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Cheers for the replies folks. Im going to be down there for 8 or 9 months on this job so will have to invest in some warm gear for the winter!! I suppose the main advantage would be that I ought to be able to save up a bit of cash below. Theres going to be a few of us going down from work but hopefully we'll get a friendly reception!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Anyone got any insides on wine tastings/tours in and around canberra - I would like to go down and try a few but ideally near city

Advertisement