Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swiss love affair with rail turns sour

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

didnt this thread start out about swiss railway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    didnt this thread start out about swiss railway?

It did but don't forget this; the golden pass lets you go EVERYWHERE. Including Switzerland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

parsi wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info on how the Swiss provide concessionary fares ?
    There are many, many different kinds of concessions available - you'd need to be more specific about the kind of cencessionary fare that you were interested in if I were to help with your query.

You could also check out the SBB Ticket Office for more info.

Also, many of the regional & local train companies also offer concessionary fares specific to their own networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There are many, many different kinds of concessions available - you'd need to be more specific about the kind of concessionary fare that you were interested in if I were to help with your query.

You could also check out the SBB Ticket Office for more info.

Also, many of the regional & local train companies also offer concessionary fares specific to their own networks.

Gadzooks.....What is this "CONCESSION" thing...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I suppose the easy answer is that I am for a zero tolerance approach but regarding my "cop-on" caveat I have to ask if you as a Dublin Bus driver has a regular very elderly passenger or one with very obvious physical and mental disabilities try to board with just the photopass will you stop them and insist on them paying even though you have seen them every day for years boarding with a free travel pass?

I have never railed against any staff for doing their jobs, but if a staff member insists on photo id from a pass holder or they will confiscate their pass then I say that is wrong because they have overstepped their authority.

As you will know I have for such a long time stated a very easy and almost free way to eliminate fraud is to change the rules of the scheme obliging all pass holders to carry a passport or Gardai age card.

You're "railing against" staff again here Foggy,by at this stage I suspect it's subliminal....

To answer your question re the "Cop On" and passholders..YES,I would seek,and have sought fares in such circumstances,usually provoking a flurry of robust response and much glaring and muttering afterwards.

However,once a Driver gets a reputation for this type of diligence,the occurences usually become much reduced...funny that !

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Free-Travel-Scheme-/
    Free Travel Pass Holders who fail to provide their pass will be liable for the appropriate fare and claims for refunds in such circumstances will not be entertained.

I also see you're still rutting at the "Staff Members" regarding checking and verifcation of passes,yet the regulations remain clear...
    3.9 EVIDENCE OF IDENTITY

Whenever a person is travelling using their Free Travel Pass, s/he must produce their Pass for inspection to an Inspector of the Transport Operator or to an Official of the Department of Social Protection, if asked. If considered necessary, the Pass Holder and/or his/her accompanying spouse/civil partner/cohabitant must also produce evidence of their identity by providing a sample of signature to the officials mentioned above. These officials have the authority to confiscate a Free Travel Pass if there are reasonable grounds for suspecting that the Pass is being misused.

If a passholder lives in Dublin, Cork city, Galway city, Limerick city or Waterford city, they are also required to produce a Free Travel Photo ID, which can be obtained from CIE, free of charge.

All clear enough,yet when you (regularly) witness or overhear such events it usually results in a significant post wherein the STAFF are always guilty of not using "Cop On" in their days work ?

You appear to have an amazing ability to seek out and be present at close quarters to such events,yet rarely present whenever a Staff member does detect or prevent misuse.fraud.....Odd That...;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Asking people to get on topic was pointless then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement