Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear question - best way to carry runners on bike??

Options
  • 04-02-2013 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi guys, just a quick query... I've been doing adventure racing for a few years now but this year I've started to put a bit more work into my cycling so I've finally bitten the bullet and bought a pair of clip on cycling shoes. I always resisted in the past as I didn't want the shoe change at transition and I used to use powergrip straps instead.... so my question is.... when changing out of runners into bike shoes at transition points is there any kind of bike bag that'll hold the runners nice n tidy on the bike and that will allow me to get them in and out of the bag very quickly without messing around? I've had a look online but haven't found anything that looks immediately suitable, all the bags seem to be either too small or too big. Any ideas?? Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Leave them clipped onto the bike, that way there is no fussing about.

Just realised you meant to bring runners with you.

Get a double bottle holder for behind the seat and stick your shoes in there.

239452.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Waylander79

Thanks a million, looks like a good option. Had a look at the X-Lab mini wing, looks like a good option and doesn't cost the world!

xlab_mini_wing_back_10_m.jpg

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

not sure if they'll hold the shoes the same way. With the cheap metal cages you can slip the shoe over the cage rather than stuffing them into the bracket, and they wont break on you.

I get what you mean now, must have a look at both so and see which would work out best. The metal ones might be a better option. Thanks for the pointers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

have seen them bungeed to tri-bars as well, obviously means u cant use the tri-bars then.. the bottle cages looks a very tidy way to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

A mate of mine did the runners in a bottle cage approach at a race last year. They fell out. You will need elastics to secure them. Then what do you do with the elastics if you have to get back on the bike after a run? If the bike course is not particularly hilly you will hardly gain back the extra minute runners will give you in transition

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

I've used a climbing hook with mine, through the laces (at about the mid point) - stops them frm shaking all over the place, then tie that to the bag on you back. Climbing-Hook-KW45-.jpg - or if you have the little hoop at the back of the runners (usually on trail runners, use that)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Mossess wrote: »
    I've used a climbing hook with mine, through the laces (at about the mid point) - stops them frm shaking all over the place, then tie that to the bag on you back. - or if you have the little hoop at the back of the runners (usually on trail runners, use that)

That's what I do too. I also use an elastic strap around the bag to hold the shoes steady, works well even for technical off-road stuff.

You can get lightweight alu carabiners if you're weigth conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The other option is a small light bag that has elastic webbings on the outside front.

a bag something like this one works well

http://www.runandbecome.com/Shop-Online/Accessories/Bags-and-Carriers/Running-Backpacks/Gregory-Dipsea-6-litre

you stuff one shoe in the bag and the other shoe in the elastic webbing at the front. That particular bag has side pockets for bars and the like but you can get lighter simpler ones.

Thanks for the pointers guys, unfortunately the climbing hook or the bag option won't work for me cos I don't carry a bag with me, unless it's a longer event. Normally for GFW or whatever I travel light and just have mandatory kit etc in jersey pockets. So far the bike cage is still looking the best option but if you've any more ideas let me know. PeterX for GFW do you use bike shoes at all or just stick with the runners for the whole event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Thanks for the pointers guys, unfortunately the climbing hook or the bag option won't work for me cos I don't carry a bag with me, unless it's a longer event. Normally for GFW or whatever I travel light and just have mandatory kit etc in jersey pockets. So far the bike cage is still looking the best option but if you've any more ideas let me know. PeterX for GFW do you use bike shoes at all or just stick with the runners for the whole event?

In a short sprinty race like GFW you could easily loose a few positions at the front end of the field in the time lost for shoe changes.

What will be faster for you will depend on how quickly you can change your shoes etc versus how much time you'd gain/loose on cycle shoe choice. In general, the more time you spend cycling, the more you're likely to gain from cycle shoes. You could figure out your own paramaters by doing your own speed tests of your cycling speeds with the different pedaling systems, and how fast you can realistically make your transitions.

Definitely good advice Enduro, I'll have to change my strategy depending on the race. Was even thinking for GFW it might be an option to go with a double sided pedal and to use the bike shoes for the cycle to the Reek and do a quick change into the runners, then up and down except stay in the runners and use the other side of the pedal for the final leg to avoid the second change. Don't think you'd gain anything on the short final cycle leg in bike shoes. Plus you'd be in runners if you had to run some of the rough western way, got 3 punctures on that last year and had to ditch the bike and run the rest. My own fault though, should have changed my tyres ahead of the race. As you say I'll have to do some time comparisons on a similar distance cycle and see if there's any benefit in the shoes in the first place. Might also try with power grips to compare. Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Plus you'd be in runners if you had to run some of the rough western way, got 3 punctures on that last year and had to ditch the bike and run the rest. My own fault though, should have changed my tyres ahead of the race.

Just to highlight this bit, as this is where more than likely you have most time to gain. The GFW route is 100% cycleable if you have the bike skills to do it. Cycling instead of running is likely to gain you more time than using cycling shoes instead of flat pedals (especially if you're using powergrips or cages) over the rest of the route. So upping your skill levels would be my first recommendation for how to improve your cycle speed). Better bike handling skills will also make it far less likely that you'll have a puncture (there's a lot more to cycling than just sitting on saddle and pedaling hard). Good puncture resistant tyres (and good strong wheels) are a must for GFW.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Enduro wrote: »
    In a short sprinty race like GFW ....
    :D
    Or as a mere moral calls it - an unholy test of endurance! I used bike shoes the last time I did it, went into the transition with a mate of mine, he hopped onto his Bike and sped off and I started unwrapping my shoes (have to keep them water proof) and started getting changed, it took a few minutes, not just to straight swap as I envisioned it.
    You know where there is a fork in the road and you take the right, think it’s the start of the hills, that was where it was when I finally caught up with my mate. I think that my effort to catch up with my buddy cost me in the long run as my energy was zapped by the time we reached the bottom of the hill, Croagh Patrick ;)

Great fun and a great day all in all. Can’t wait to do it again

In GF the cycling is relatively flat AND there are a few possible shoe changeovers so I go with runners the whole way.
    In the likes of WAR Powerscourt the cycling is quite hilly so I wear spds and carry runners on and in a small backpack.
    For me the amount of cycle climbing and the ratio of cycling to running are the key factors in my decision making process.

Also as Enduro says the length of the race. For me GF and WAR and ROAR are all long races whereas one hour duathlons would be short races, it's all about your perspective :)
    Although in the one hour duathlons the top lads all change their shoes so maybe one of them can comment on the efficiences involved there.

This year will be my fourth time doing it, the first two years I made it all the way through the rough section at full speed, nearly mowing over guys running with their bikes. It was a bit hairy in the really rough bit but a good source of adrenalin to push you towards the finish as well. Third year I got a puncture, last year 3 punctures! So it's kinda dented my confidence for cycling all the rough section. Having said that I might brave it again once I spend some quality time on the bike over the summer and get my skill level up as Enduro says, just need to buy decent tyres instead of the worn GP3000's (I think) I had on last year! May as well have wrapped newspaper around the tubes.

Peterx wrote: »
    In GF the cycling is relatively flat AND there are a few possible shoe changeovers so I go with runners the whole way.
    In the likes of WAR Powerscourt the cycling is quite hilly so I wear spds and carry runners on and in a small backpack.
    For me the amount of cycle climbing and the ratio of cycling to running are the key factors in my decision making process.

Also as Enduro says the length of the race. For me GF and WAR and ROAR are all long races whereas one hour duathlons would be short races, it's all about your perspective :)
    Although in the one hour duathlons the top lads all change their shoes so maybe one of them can comment on the efficiences involved there.

Thanks for the info Peter, looks like either the runners all the way or the one change before the Reek would be the best option for me. Depends on the gains I get from the shoes though so I'll have to check that out.

On a seperate note.... is anyone going to reel in Tim O'D this year???!

Niall Somers could give him a very good run for his money if he was to focus on it. In my opinion.
    The inference of my first statement is that Tim is too good for everyone he raced last year, and that's also my opinion;)

Niall Somers could give him a very good run for his money if he was to focus on it. In my opinion.
    The inference of my first statement is that Tim is too good for everyone he raced last year, and that's also my opinion;)

Hopefully it'll be tight at the top again this year, there have been some amazing battles up there over the last few years. I guess it's up to the rest of the field now to try and raise their game since Tim has raised the bar but ye're made of tough stuff, I reckon he won't get it as easy this year. Hoping to get close to the front myself this year but I doubt I'll be troubling the front runners. Not bad considering 4 years ago I was carried over the line by a lady from the ambulance service after 6hrs 40mins!

It's such a pity that these kind of events don't get more coverage, be it the shorter multisport events or the ultras/adventure races, such amazing athletes competing and no-one outside of the sport knows a thing about them, pampered prima donnas playing football in the UK get all the coverage. I'd much prefer to follow the Irish lads on the UTMB or whatever crazy adventure Enduro is hitting off on next, or the battle between the front runners on the Reek during GFW than have to hear about footballers not being able to put their bibs on properly or sleeping with each others wives. :rolleyes:

It's all about money.
    If there was €20,000 prize money for winning multisport races or running 100km races there would be more competition at the top end. As it is you have lads who compete for the love of the sport and in a way that's a good thing too.

The irish championships of mountain running organised by IMRA would be a truly breathtaking series of battles with good depth in the field is there was huge prize money. As it is there are a few stalwarts such as Brian Furey who are going great guns, it would be amazing to have 20 Brian Fureys and 30 lads potentially quicker racing off Carantoohill next June but that won't be the case.
    Prestige follows either money or Olympic status.

Miles off topic here now. The best way to carry runners in GaelForce is to wear them:D

• Advertisement

Dragging myself back on topic..... thanks a million for all the pointers guys. Now to get busy figuring out which option is best for me and to haul ass up as many hills as possible! See you out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Miles off topic here now. The best way to carry runners in GaelForce is to wear them:D

Hi Peter,

Do you cycle with cages, powergrips or some other system in the likes of GFW?

I use good deep cages on a set of plastic flat pedals. I just make sure the ball of my foot is over the spindle of the crank to reduce any cramping pressure on the calves.

I've never tried powergrips or powerstraps so they may be better.
    I have never risked them as I fear it would cause by knee to twist slightly.

In saying that If I race this year I might try spd's for a change. I felt they worked really well on the Powerscourt race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I use good deep cages on a set of plastic flat pedals. I just make sure the ball of my foot is over the spindle of the crank to reduce any cramping pressure on the calves.

I've never tried powergrips or powerstraps so they may be better.
    I have never risked them as I fear it would cause by knee to twist slightly.

In saying that If I race this year I might try spd's for a change. I felt they worked really well on the Powerscourt race.

Maybe I just need bigger cages so, I tried them last year and found I was pedalling like I was on my tippy-toes, calves were very sore on the one steep hill.

Advertisement