Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem cat!

• 04-02-2013 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here could offer advice on the following situation:
    I own 3 Tom cats, all neutered. The first fela we rescued is a grand cat, and alpha male. The second we got as a kitten after his owners abandoned him when he broke his leg. While his leg was healing, my parents looked after him at their house down the road, ( we went to the in laws abroad for Christmas)and he got out - went missing ( during big freeze 2009) and turned up 3 days later when my parents' next door neighbour found him. He was in a poor state - somehow managed to break his jaw and his back leg. Anyway an operation and cast later he started healing and was a lovely affectionate cat.
    Unfortunately now approx 3 years later he is quite fat. The other 2 cats are slim. They get fed Taste of the Wild dry pellets, and as this second cat is kind of the underdog so to speak, he is always the last to feed. I really don't think I over feed him. I reckon its because his legs healed funny, as he is not as agile as the others and cant jump so well.Even our 3rd cat ( who turned up at our house as a kitten) is higher ranking than the middle cat.
    Anyway, this is all background to the actual problem. The middle cat keeps peeing in the house. At first it happened whenever he got locked in a room while we were out. I have 3 young kids - getting out is stressful, and he's good at hiding under the bed. He is so laid back and never miaows to be let out! Annoying as it was, I accepted responsibility and cleaned it up, always tying to be more vigilant.
    Then he started peeing downstairs even when he had access to the litter box - again if we were outa few hours. He even peed in washing baskets, tumble drier, on baby clothes. I've already had to change a mattress, and two duvets... Again, my fault I thought, need to be vigilant.
    Lately though, I notice he's stared marking his territory ie peeing a little up on skirting board or kids pram if left in hall. This is when he's only after coming in from outside, and I'm in the house - so not a case of him not being able to get out to pee.
    I'm thinking he's doing this as he's intimidated by the other two, (though they dont fight) but nonetheless I've now thrown him out, and I'm feeding him outside. I can't deal with the stress/smell, but still feel bad kicking him out.
    Does anyone have any insight to this behaviour? I thought neutered cats didn't do this sort of stuff. Are there any tips on how to get him to stop doing this?
    Sorry for the length, and thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would first get him checked by the vet. Male cats are more prone to urinary problems (crystals in bladder would be main one), and being over weight would also increase chances of this happening. First signs are usually peeing in places they don't normally go. Stress can make this worse too so could be contributing. If vet checks him and he's healthy I think a feliway diffuser might help, confine him to one room with litter tray and see how he gets on. I know it's hard with kids to confine him but it's only way to sort him and find any issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Few things; first of get a short length UV light if can (I'm sure he's peed were you've not noticed it); secondly get a proper cat pee cleaner (need to remove the protein in the pee to really remove it); third it sounds as he's stressed out and don't feel he has his own space. How many toilets do you have (should be at least 4)? Are there plenty of shelfs/towers they can get up to and that he can walk to via a ramp so he can feel he's safe?

Honestly all it sounds like is that you got a stressed out cat who feels his world is invaded and he don't got his own space (hence peeing to try to mark his area and feel safe).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Agree with both, but in particular I would recommend first ruling out a UTI. Male cats will 'spray' if they are having difficulty weeing. And if it is a UTI, then when he needs to go, he needs to go! So even when he's just come in, if the urge takes him...well you know the results!

Stress can also increase the chances of UTI's also, so possibly if he is feeling a bit stressed out it'd not helping.

Hope he improves soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd have to agree with the other posters. The first thing to do would be get him checked by a vet. I'd put a litter tray in each of the places he's peeing, it may be that he's marking the area as his. If he's scent marking it he's probably doing it from stress, which means trying to figure out whats triggering it.

The extra litter trays don't have to be there for ever, its just easier to clean a litter tray than the floors. I find a feliway plug in diffuser very helpful for stressed cats. Its like a plug in valium for cats, humans can't smell it and its safe for humans. We have 2 cats one of whom has a tendency to pile on weight and be lazy. We got a Da Bird toy on amazon for 6.99 at Christmas and its got him off his butt and losing some weight. Its also got them both playing together and built up our shyer guys self esteem.

I can understand that your stressed out and the temptation to put him outdoors, but ultimately I think that doing that is just going to make things worse in the long term. Try to keep track of what it is that sets off the peeing. If you can identify the trigger you might be able so solve the problem faster. Something has changed in the cat dynamic in your house that is stressing him out. I'd also try feeding him seperately from the others at least for a while,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Forgot to add, clean up with washing powder/liquid and warm water, not non bio, the ordinary stuff, it is the best cleaner for pee, animals have better sense of smell, some cleaners make it worse, the bio powder really works, can be used on wood floors, fabric, tiles, everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭SurferRosa

Hi, thanks for all the advice/ tips.
    Well the cat ran straight in the house when the door was opened earlier, and didn't have the heart to throw him out!
    Yeah I agree about at least part of the problem being caused by stress, although I will bring him to the vet soon to check for a uti.
    Can anyone recommend a place to get these uv lamps?
    I think I'll also try to make him a space for himself. I usually let him rest on the landing upstairs when the kids get too loud for him. Sometimes though my 2 year old follows him up and creeps beside him (not hurting him) I thought the cat liked it but maybe it aggravates him a bit. He's a strange fellow in that he rarely acts annoyed.
    The only area I can give him some space is the kitchen or utility room. Is there anything that I can get that wont take up much space? I guess it would have to be high enough so the kids can't reach, and I'd be afraid one of the other cats would lay claim to it...
    The only thing I'm reluctant to change is the quantity of litter boxes. None of the cats use the one we have ( they poo in our back), and with 3 kids under 5 I'd be afraid putting more litter boxes in a house that's already slightly cramped. Ill get my husband to double check the box is clean, and as the other 2 don't use it, maybe he would. That said just today I found pee just beside the box...so annoying!
    Thanks again everyone, hopefully well get this sorted...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You only really need to leave some high spaces around, be it shelves, sofas, even easy things such as this can be done out of Ikea furniture etc. were they can go into and teach the children that once the cats are at those spots they are not to be disturbed. Most children can grasp that quickly and that will give them a safe area to retreat to.

As for litterboxes; have you considered closed once such as this which would be difficult for a child to get into? Also the litterboxes really needs to be cleaned daily or they are useless (at the start; you can get slacking later on them once the cats are used to them :P ). The fact he marks next to it would likely mark that he's not seeing it as his (hence you'd need more if you want him to stop). Saying they poop in the garden is all well and good but he needs to feel he has his own box inside or he'll keep on marking and look at getting Feliway or similar to try to destress him. It's something that takes time; as for UV light you can sometimes find them on Amazon or in a good hardware store; the biggest problem is getting one that's strong enough (and preferably below 380nM wavelength, make sure you get UV protective glasses at the same time as your eyes WILL hurt if you try to skip them).

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭SurferRosa

Wow that is a fancy cat box! The one we have has a roof on it too. Well, we can probably get one more if it may help.
    It's not changed daily, as it hasn't been used in a while since the last litter change. We'llput some fresh litter in tonight.
    We will certainly get him his own little space and make sure the kids keep away.
    If that's sorted it would just leave the weight issue then!

You don't need such a fancy toilet; the only point was to show a toilet that is more child safe then a normal one :)

The weight issue; feed them in three bowls so that all cats get a equal share. That will hopefully stop him from hoarding (thinking he's not going to get enough eating last) or if that don't work look at getting a cat activation toy like this to force him to eat slower. That helped our cat to slow down his frenzied eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My brother got one of the uv lights on Amazon last year, one of his female cats was stressed out and was peeing everywhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement