Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Forwarding

Options
  • 04-02-2013 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some help as this issue is driving me mad.

I recently got a CCTV camera for my parents house and need to setup port forwarding so I can login whenever/where ever I want. 

I have set up a DynDNS hostname and the public IP updates itself fine. The issue is I cannot access the camera from an external IP. 

I realized off this thread: community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Trying-to-allow-public-access-to-internal-IP-camera/m-p/8388  
    that  I cannot NAT to the port from inside my network so i tried from my mobile network (external IP) and it wouldn't resolve..using either the public IP, public IP:port number or the hostname from DynDNS. 

My setting are practically the same as the guy in the thread (port 82 and my firewall is set to low) but it nothing seems to be doing the trick, is there something im missing here???

Any help at all is appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Skeg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

skeg16 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for some help as this issue is driving me mad.

I recently got a CCTV camera for my parents house and need to setup port forwarding so I can login whenever/where ever I want. 

I have set up a DynDNS hostname and the public IP updates itself fine. The issue is I cannot access the camera from an external IP. 

I realized off this thread: community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Trying-to-allow-public-access-to-internal-IP-camera/m-p/8388  
    that  I cannot NAT to the port from inside my network so i tried from my mobile network (external IP) and it wouldn't resolve..using either the public IP, public IP:port number or the hostname from DynDNS. 

My setting are practically the same as the guy in the thread (port 82 and my firewall is set to low) but it nothing seems to be doing the trick, is there something im missing here???

Any help at all is appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Skeg

Hi skeg16

Unfortunately I have limited information on setting up port forwarding and the best advice I can offer is calling Broadband support on 1890260260, however I do know that a static IP is required to access CCTV cameras. A static ip can be purchased for the once off fee of €50 by calling eircom net sales on 1800203204.

Also, The links included below may also help :

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/How-Do-I-Add-A-Static-IP-Address-amp-Set-Up-Port-Forwarding/m-p/7438/highlight/true#M5138

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Trying-to-allow-public-access-to-internal-IP-camera/m-p/8388

Kind regards

Al

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are all your setting on the DVR correct?
    Internal IP address to match what the port is forwarded to?
    Port the same as whats forwarded?
    Gatway the same as the routers IP address?
    What DNS are you using?
    For a minute forget DynDNs goto http://www.whatismyip.com/ to get your current IP address to try it.
    Bear in mind try it from another ISP. Eircom will not resolve an address into your network from your connection.
    Also try this to check if the ports are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

KoolKid wrote: »
    Are all your setting on the DVR correct?
    Internal IP address to match what the port is forwarded to?
    Port the same as whats forwarded?
    Gatway the same as the routers IP address?
    What DNS are you using?
    For a minute forget DynDNs goto http://www.whatismyip.com/ to get your current IP address to try it.
    Bear in mind try it from another ISP. Eircom will not resolve an address into your network from your connection.
    Also try this to check if the ports are open.
    Hi,

I had a quick look at the issue when I was in the house last night.

There must be some settings im forgetting to configure because I went back to basics and no luck. I tried to access my router (just my router, forgetting about the camera) from an external network (my mobile network) but I could not connect. The address was correct, I tried the address with port 80 & 8080 but no luck. i tried this with the firewall set to low and off but no difference.....wat am I missing here, surely it should not be this complicated, once i have the public IP address and the firewall off I should gain access, no????

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A few things to think about...

The router would not automatically be accessible on port 80.
    Do not presume you can test a port connection is open by using an outgoing connection on the same router. 
    Use an open port checker like http://www.canyouseeme.org/ .
    For this to see the port open the machine must be connected to the network when you do this test.
    Are all your setting correct on the DVR? 
    Is the DVR accessible on your local network...?
    Is the DVR set up with static IP assigned?
    Does this IP match the address the port is forwarded to?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 useurname

is it the new Zyxel P660 box form Eircom, best way to do it is to download this guys sofware

www.simpleportforwarding.com, his name is shane great tool and you can get pro version for just €10, and he can login remotely if u like if you are still having trouble

But just ensure you select the eircom model in the router list and it will do the rest for you

failing that the network settings on your cctv may need revising ie if you had a vodafone router theyre gateway was 192.168.1.1 whereas your new gateway may be 192.168.1.254, try checking with an online pport open or closed checker first like mentioned above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement