Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match fixing report out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Man United 4-1 Schalke in Semi Final 2nd leg was dodgy, have a look back at the game. There keeper was amazing in 1st leg than coudnt dive in 2nd leg. United led 2-0 after 1st leg .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I remember watching Cagliari-Juventus a few years ago and was witnessing something the needed to be seen to believed. Cagliari were hammering them but the ref would do everything in his power to stop them. He eventually added on 5 minutes injury time out of nowhere. Juventus scored after about 3 mins and the ref blew up and literally sprinted off the pitch. I knew if was a fix and it turned out that it was one of the games proven to be fixed when calciopoli was revealed.

Something that stuck with me the night of the Chelsea-Barca game was that Tom Ovrebo's body language was very similar to the body language and mannerisms of the Italian ref. Whenever he made a decision he would run away from the incident and try and get play on as quickly as possible to stop the players questioning him, as if he was scared. It was very much a "nothing happened, lets play on" type of attitude. You could see the fear in Ovrebo's face just like I could see the fear in that Italian refs face the day of the Cagliari-Juve game.

We also need to look closer to home in terms of this. We've all seen some mental and unexplainable stuff at LOI grounds and the players are no angels either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Man United 4-1 Schalke in Semi Final 2nd leg was dodgy, have a look back at the game. There keeper was amazing in 1st leg than coudnt dive in 2nd leg. United led 2-0 after 1st leg .

Or maybe....Just maybe, the keeper played a blinder in the first leg and covered the cracks in what was an otherwise poor Schalke team that got lucky to be that far in the Champions League?

But hey don't let that thought get in the way of a good anti Man Utd conspiracy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Dave0301 wrote: »

Or maybe....Just maybe, the keeper played a blinder in the first leg and covered the cracks in what was an otherwise poor Schalke team that got lucky to be that far in the Champions League?

But hey don't let that thought get in the way of a good anti Man Utd conspiracy ;)
    I advise you to go watch the full 90 mins again mate and come back to me. He easily had one shot saved and pulled his hand back to leave the ball in was very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Surely it can't be an English team involved????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Renn wrote: »

Of course not. Only foreigners get up to shenanigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Renn wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

John terry slipping for the penalty looked a bit dodgy to me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

niallo27 wrote: »
    John terry slipping for the penalty looked a bit dodgy to me.

That game was played in Moscow, which, as far as I know, is not in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I don't care about your facts I read it on Facebook it must be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

They managed to fix that as well, they are that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Chelsea-Barca suggestion is one of the worst ones I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Liverpool 1 – Debrecen 0 (Sept. 2009) was one of them according to Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet.
    They suggest that Debrecen goalkeeper Vukasin Poleksic was bribed to ensure that there were over 2.5 goals in the match.

However, Liverpool had a poor night in front of goal and Poleksic only conceded one, where he punched out a shot from Fernando Torres into the path of Dirk Kuyt to claim the winner – see video below.

Later on in the Champions League group stage of 2009, Poleksic was once again bribed for the match against Fiorentina which the Italians won 4-3.

Poleksic has since subsequently been banned from all football activities for failing to report match fixing activities.

Ekstra Bladet add in their report this evening just how difficult it is to prove match fixing – after all in the case of Liverpool’s win over Debrecen can we really be sure the keeper was trying to let in three or more goals?

They also say that whilst big clubs such as Liverpool and Fiorentina stick out like sore thumbs in this report, there is no evidence to link them with any match fixing whatsoever.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I love the way 'it cant be english teams or their players', does every one in the starting eleven of the english teams in the champions league earn top money, are we sure all of these players are 100% financially sound and dont have massive debts?!

Rafael, gibbs, bertrant, walker, fabio, szezney, martin kelly... they dont strike me to be on massive bucks. even arshavin(being russian god knows what his situation is - and hes had some propper **** games), then there's fellas that have astonished the world with the exploits in their private live(super injunctions and all) are they capable of jeopardising a result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So the board is agreed that the game in England is likely to be one where either
    a) the brave English team lost and were cheated by the dirty foreigners or
    b) the brave English team won and the dirty cheating foreigners took a dive for money from other dirty foreign cheaters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can't imagine it involving players or managers from the really big clubs. There is just too much on the line to risk making what really is minor money in terms of their earnings.

Imagine if it was Manchester United, Barcelona or Real Madrid. The media would crucify them and their income from shirt sales, sponsorship etc. would take a huge hit.

The one that stands out to me in the CL if there is an English club involved is a match including a Swiss team and there may have been a very wealthy dog around that night in a game with five goals.
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I love the way 'it cant be english teams or their players', does every one in the starting eleven of the english teams in the champions league earn top money, are we sure all of these players are 100% financially sound and dont have massive debts?!

Rafael, gibbs, bertrant, walker, fabio, szezney, martin kelly... they dont strike me to be on massive bucks. even arshavin(being russian god knows what his situation is - and hes had some propper **** games), then there's fellas that have astonished the world with the exploits in their private live(super injunctions and all) are they capable of jeopardising a result?

I would tend to agree with EagleEye here.

Even those lesser squad players of a few years ago are making a decent wedge or have a huge future in the game they would be retarded to jeopardise.

How stupid would Martin Kelly (for example) be to take a bribe of even a huge sum (lets say £100k) when he has the potential to make more than that in a month in a couple of years?

The increased media spotlight would be another reason to avoid this - more chance of getting caught.

Of course we can't know, but it would be reasonable to infer that if it were a Champions League game it would come from a smaller team - less spotlight, less wages, way way more incentive.

There's very little incentive (i.e. the risk/reward is just not at all worth it) for an English Champions League team player to take a bribe, and I would go along with those saying they would be shocked if one was involved - not xenophobic, just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

opr wrote: »
    Liverpool 1 – Debrecen 0 (Sept. 2009) was one of them according to Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet.

Opr

:D The opposition keeper was letting them in for money and still Liverpool couldn't score more than one. I really hope that's true!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Pro. F wrote: »
    :D The opposition keeper was letting them in for money and still Liverpool couldn't score more than one. I really hope that's true!

I know.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Liverpool match fixing are the only words I'm going to digest from this thread. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Here's a proven fixed game that a few here were following from the gambling forum 2 years back, watch the awful keeping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

adox wrote: »
    Liverpool match fixing are the only words I'm going to digest from this thread. :pac:

It wouldnt be the first time, a bunch of thier players threw a game against Man Utd...
    It was in 1915 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

adox wrote: »
    A lot of people will be taking Torres couldn't score against a goalkeeper bribed to concede at least 3. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Sherriff YC beating Shels a couple years ago had to of been a fix.

Quality :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I hope Europol will be looking into this match too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

The AC peno yesterday. Udinese player clearly won the ball yet ref gave a peno in the 92nd min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool knew about this outrageous attempt to bribe and so kept the score down to undermine the Asian betting syndicate that collapsed shortly afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Unfortunately I'd be surprised if any LoI player wasn't involved in the past season or so. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

The AC peno yesterday. Udinese player clearly won the ball yet ref gave a peno in the 92nd min

Referees can make mistakes?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not in Italy they don't! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I remember watching Cagliari-Juventus a few years ago and was witnessing something the needed to be seen to believed. Cagliari were hammering them but the ref would do everything in his power to stop them. He eventually added on 5 minutes injury time out of nowhere. Juventus scored after about 3 mins and the ref blew up and literally sprinted off the pitch. I knew if was a fix and it turned out that it was one of the games proven to be fixed when calciopoli was revealed.

Something that stuck with me the night of the Chelsea-Barca game was that Tom Ovrebo's body language was very similar to the body language and mannerisms of the Italian ref. Whenever he made a decision he would run away from the incident and try and get play on as quickly as possible to stop the players questioning him, as if he was scared. It was very much a "nothing happened, lets play on" type of attitude. You could see the fear in Ovrebo's face just like I could see the fear in that Italian refs face the day of the Cagliari-Juve game.

We also need to look closer to home in terms of this. We've all seen some mental and unexplainable stuff at LOI grounds and the players are no angels either.

Heard many a story to be honest, some of them involving a certain club from the West of Ireland who are no longer in the league;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

100% sure it happens in LOI adds to the drama :D

Usually towards end of the season in nothing games, some other games rumoured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Here's a proven fixed game that a few here were following from the gambling forum 2 years back, watch the awful keeping.

Were both keepers on the take?

Here is highlights of the Liverpool game mentioned earlier.
    http://www.1000goals.com/liverpool-vs-debrecen-highlights#.URBIv79WySo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Finally a simple explanation for why City keep failing in the Champions League.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Sherriff YC beating Shels a couple years ago had to of been a fix.

Bullsh*t, two freak goals and beautiful free kick. Also its not in the highlights but Shels could have scored 6 or 7 that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

dan1895 wrote: »

Bullsh*t, two freak goals and beautiful free kick. Also its not in the highlights but Shels could have scored 6 or 7 that night.

The goalie was terrible for at least two of the goals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Didn't Sligo go out/lose at home to an Albanian side who were trying to fix the game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Heard many a story to be honest, some of them involving a certain club from the West of Ireland who are no longer in the league;)

Limerick 37???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Sure wasn't their a rumour that Sligo Rovers lost to a team who wanted to throw the game a couple of years ago in the Europa League! Think they were Albanian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

dfx- wrote: »
    Didn't Sligo go out/lose at home to an Albanian side who were trying to fix the game..
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Sure wasn't their a rumour that Sligo Rovers lost to a team who wanted to throw the game a couple of years ago in the Europa League! Think they were Albanian.

Hadn't heard about that. That's quality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sligo Rovers 1-2 KS Vllaznia

Sligo had two penalties, conceded an own goal and the visiting keeper was sent off..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8379251.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I always did wonder why RvP was sent of for us in the Nou Camp a coupe of seasons ago when he kicked the ball a nanosecond after the whistle...

All over the radio it is Liverpool Debrecen 09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Limerick 37???

Club from the West, not mid-west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

All over the radio it is Liverpool Debrecen 09
    Bbc have it aswell. Puts liverpool in a really bad light. Oposition keeper is paid to make sure they lose by more than 2 and still can only win 1-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Lol.

If I remember correctly the Debrecen keeper palmed it into Kuyts path for a tap in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Anyone remember how Ajax went out of the CL a few seasons back? Seemed dodgy at the time, even more so now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If I remember correctly the Debrecen keeper palmed it into Kuyts path for a tap in
    Look at my previous post, I posted a link to highlights of the game.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Look at my previous post, I posted a link to highlights of the game.

Cheers, I didnt see that, main rules for a keeper to follow, always call the ball from your defenders, always parry the ball insteading of catching/holding, come of your line much more regularly.

I dont know who was in on the Debrecen V Vasas game, was Debrecen 3 - 0 at half time, and the talk was that Vasas will without a doubt score at least 2 in the 2nd half. FT 5 - 4

• Advertisement
Advertisement