Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match fixing report out

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

From what I heard referees as well as players were paid so the chelsea Barcelona 09 could be a runner.

Although the dismissal of Abidal isn't consistent with the performance of a ref that was paid the performance was so woeful I think its worthy of speculation.
    Perhaps, the money was placed on specific scorelines or number of chelsea goals or something?Just speculating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

RATM wrote: »
    Chelsea Barcelona would also have to stick out for me. They should have had at least 2 penalties and a whole load of other stuff, it was like the ref just didn't want to know.

I wonder if they did reveal which match in the CL it was would the bookies refund bets on it ? Probably not.

I used to love betting on snooker until their fixing scandal came out with John Higgins secretly filmed offering to throw a frame for €100k. The way they dealt with that (John Higgins is STILL playing, like wtf?) was atrocious so I'll never again place a bet on it.

I'll reserve judgement on this but at the end of the day I'm fooked if I'm going to place money on sports that are fixed, you might as well just burn it.

John Higgins is completely innocent of attempting to match-fix, that NOTW tape was edited and he never "offered" to throw a match nor attempted to throw a match in his life.

Read the official reasons for his acquittal from David Douglas here - http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/09/21/revealed-why-john-higgins-was-cleared-of-match-fixing-because-the-evidence-including-a-statement-from-mazher-mahmood-told-the-full-story-210901/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

All over the radio it is Liverpool Debrecen 09
    :D ironic given how fond they are of accusing other clubs of corruption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Leftist wrote: »

Debrecen? Are they that bad? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is this irony in the sense of Alanis Morissette? That is to say not at all ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Bbc have it aswell. Puts liverpool in a really bad light. Oposition keeper is paid to make sure they lose by more than 2 and still can only win 1-0

I would love to see a clip of Benitez' post match interview :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Steve Claridge betting preview. -2.5 goal handicap is a suggested bet, Kuyt any time is the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Its Debrecen who the allegations are against. So I guess you are a big fan of Hungarian League football, well either that or.........

Can calling someone stupid be classed as abuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Anyone wrote: »
    Its Debrecen who the allegations are against. So I guess you are a big fan of Hungarian League football, well either that or.........

Can calling someone stupid be classed as abuse?

What are you on about, clearly Gerrard knew about betting syndicate and told all his mates to go against it and he'd sort them out. Should be banned for life and all previous personal and club honours stripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Anyone wrote: »
    Its Debrecen who the allegations are against.

think that's obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Liam O wrote: »
    What are you on about, clearly Gerrard knew about betting syndicate and told all his mates to go against it and he'd sort them out. Should be banned for life and all previous personal and club honours stripped.

But that would mean he would have no Premiership medals.... Oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

But that would mean he would have no Premiership medals.... Oh wait.

Still more winners medals than Man City ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It be funny if Liverpool players knew the keeper stood to make lot of cash before game so decided to say " screw him we win 1-0 and he gets nothing"

win win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

It be funny if Liverpool players knew the keeper stood to make lot of cash before game so decided to say " screw him we win 1-0 and he gets nothing"

win win.
    Thats one ways of trying to explain away how they failed to score more than one in that game .... or they actually just werent able to score passed a bribed goalie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Thats one ways of trying to explain away how they failed to score more than one in that game .... or they actually just werent able to score passed a bribed goalie

There's another way to explain it. He wasn't bribed.

An attempt was made to bride him but he turned it down and reported it later. He was banned for two years for not reporting it sooner than he did.

"In the view of the Uefa Disciplinary Committee, Vukasin Poleksic failed to comply with his duties when he did not report to Debrecen that before two Champions League matches unknown people tried to persuade him to influence the result," the statement read.

"The investigation revealed that Poleksic rejected the requests. Furthermore, the probe found that the matches were not influenced by anything connected with the bribery.

"But the player committed an error by failing to inform the authorities immediately, therefore he was punished for not meeting the reporting requirement."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/debrecen-say-allegations-liverpool-match-was-fixed-have-been-dealt-with-8481944.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I wonder would he have reported it had Torres scored a hat trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

FIFA have banned 74 officials & players in Italy & Korea over irregularities.

Italy eh-who'd have thought?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Actually Korea v Italy was dodgy game in 02 WC.

Italians would know fixed game when they see one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

zerks wrote: »
    FIFA have banned 74 officials & players in Italy & Korea over irregularities.

Italy eh-who'd have thought?;)

As it happens, these were persons already banned in Italy by FIGC. This is merely an extension to make the bans worldwide.

There are problems in Italy which the authorities investigate, thus there are results and convictions. Not many associations can say they do that.

Dopers, for example, get caught in Italy, rarely if ever anywhere else. Is this because players in Italy are careless? Dope more? Or because they are tested more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

mitosis wrote: »
    As it happens, these were persons already banned in Italy by FIGC. This is merely an extension to make the bans worldwide.

There are problems in Italy which the authorities investigate, thus there are results and convictions. Not many associations can say they do that.

Dopers, for example, get caught in Italy, rarely if ever anywhere else. Is this because players in Italy are careless? Dope more? Or because they are tested more?

Very good point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Stephen Colbert interviewing Alexi Lalas about match fixing:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/stephen-colbert-interviews-alexi-lalas-comedian-takes-a-dirty-dive/

Lalas has been on the show before so i dont know why he was getting so pissy about typical Colbert satire...Colbert's dive is hilarious, Lalas deserves at least a yellow for the slap:

iTkhN75NkA3sy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The thing is the main man in all this is Dan Tan. Now the Singapore police are refusing to arrest him even though he has been named by loads of people I even saw him mentioned by UEFA and FIFA officials.

Why isnt he being arrested in Singapore. Hmm! It seems to be tips to the top policemen and not the leagues you would thing of in Europe.

It doesnt have to be actual results either you know.

Declan Hill is a bit of a BS er but does make some interesting points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Hill has put some serious effort into his work, what makes you say he's a bs'er?

Advertisement