Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc tray needs fixing!

Options
  • 04-02-2013 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

So after months of having to open and close the disc tray numerous times to get playing a game it now appears that my xbox won't detect the CD at all so I have to get it fixed.

Anyone get this done in the Lucan area and if so where and how much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Its not the tray, more that the laser is out of alignment, as for where to get it done, I'm not all that sure, its not something I've had done before. It is possible to fix yourself, if you have the nerve though!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

Meesared wrote: »
    Its not the tray, more that the laser is out of alignment, as for where to get it done, I'm not all that sure, its not something I've had done before. It is possible to fix yourself, if you have the nerve though!

Apologies, I knew it was the laser from reading on this forum etc. I asked in the PC fixing shop in Superquinn in Lucan and he said €90. Was hoping to get it for less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Apologies, I knew it was the laser from reading on this forum etc. I asked in the PC fixing shop in Superquinn in Lucan and he said €90. Was hoping to get it for less than that.

Better off getting a new one at that pice. I got one of the new smaller models recently and its really nice, runs WAY quieter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

€90 is extortionate to fix a laser. Read this thread, I'm sure you can find someone to do it much cheaper - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055478489
    Julez wrote: »
    Better off getting a new one at that pice. I got one of the new smaller models recently and its really nice, runs WAY quieter!

The Slims are no different to the Phat model or any other disc based console, in that the laser will burn out eventually.

If I was to buy a new one what would be the best option? My current one is the black Super Elite that came with the 250Gb hard drive. That was an upgrade from the original (well the repalced original after RROD) so I have the transfer cable still.

Do the newer models have the hard drive built in or removable like the elite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

If I was to buy a new one what would be the best option? My current one is the black Super Elite that came with the 250Gb hard drive. That was an upgrade from the original (well the repalced original after RROD) so I have the transfer cable still.

Do the newer models have the hard drive built in or removable like the elite?

They do have a removable drive, I think it's possible to use the Hard drive you have now with a little fiddling and one of these (http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Internal-Hard-Disk-Drive-Case-Enclosure-for-Console-XBox-360-Slim-/360445001568?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item53ec323f60), this guy does it without the enclosure but its a bit messier http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0NhKgRC2tg, same concept though, meaning you could buy the cheaper 4gb model.

@EnterNow I'm not trying to say the new one is indestructible, but neither will his one if he gets it repaired. It may be less hassle to just buy a new console. Overall though, its going to be more reliable, he gets a new warranty and its a much quieter machine.

@EnterNow I'm not trying to say the new one is indestructible, but neither will his one if he gets it repaired. It may be less hassle to just buy a new console. Overall though, its going to be more reliable, he gets a new warranty and its a much quieter machine.

Thats fair enough if your paying €90, the going rate though is about €30 for a laser repair/replace.

Got quoted €35 for laser lens cleaning and €60 if lens requires replacing.

Got quoted €35 for laser lens cleaning and €60 if lens requires replacing.

€35 to clean a lens seems again to be heavily overpriced. The laser units are very cheap to buy - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/REPLACEMENT-DVD-DRIVE-LASER-LENS-SF-HD63-SF-HD67-FOR-XBOX-360-/160691159955?pt=UK_VG_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2569f08393 {There are different types, so prices can vary slightly}

Last I checked €35 was about the going rate to replace a laser for someone

Advertisement