Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father Information Rights

Options
  • 04-02-2013 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,
    So my situtation, I'm married but we're seperating and we have a 2 year old little girl. She lives with her mother, and I rent an apartment. I've recently moved to another apartment with my girlfriend and I have my daughter 1 night every weekend.

So my question is, do I have to tell my ex my new address? I personally don't want to tell her, but I'm bot sure if legally I'm obliged to.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

IrishJoker wrote: »
    Hi,
    So my situtation, I'm married but we're seperating and we have a 2 year old little girl. She lives with her mother, and I rent an apartment. I've recently moved to another apartment with my girlfriend and I have my daughter 1 night every weekend.

So my question is, do I have to tell my ex my new address? I personally don't want to tell her, but I'm bot sure if legally I'm obliged to.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Cheers

Not sure about legally, but from a more personal point of view imagine she moved and didn't tell you where your daughter was?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Your proposal (as it stands) is to take your ex's daughter to an "undisclosed location" one night per week.

Ideas/thoughts? It's a ridiculous idea, and you should really take a step back an examine the "bigger picture".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

You could tell her the general area. I know we don't know the ins and outs here, there most be a very good reason you don't want her knowing your address, but I would freak out if I didn't know where in general my son was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

You need to tell her your new address,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Unless your ex is liable to show up at your door and be abusive then you should absolutely tell her where you are now living seeing as you have a child together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Your ex is entitled to know where her daughter is spending the night. That applies just as much to you moving to a new apartment with your girlfriend as it does if you take your daughter to a hotel for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Would you be happy if your ex moved and didn't tell you where your child was living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

IrishJoker wrote: »
    You are not legally obliged to.
    ash23 wrote: »
    Unless your ex is liable to show up at your door and be abusive then you should absolutely tell her where you are now living seeing as you have a child together.
    Yeah, but I would agree with the other posters that the mother realistically does have a moral right to know where her daughter is. If he spent his weekends with her elsewhere (the zoo, his/her parent's home, etc), then this wouldn't be an issue.

However, I do see your point. While having contact information is meant to be for communication in relation to the child, some people abuse this and simply use it as a means to get back at the other parent. If such abuse is particularly bad, he probably should organize that he spends time with his daughter at a neutral location, that he can tell the mother about, and keep his own address to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

my friend has just has this in the family court recently, it was made a condition of access that the address and a telephone number was made available. As the father claimed he didnt want his new girlfriend uncomfortable, it was said if there is an issue with a disturbance at your address you contact the police. Also a drop off point was arranged close to the mums address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Zulu wrote: »
    Your proposal (as it stands) is to take your ex's daughter to an "undisclosed location" one night a week.
    It's his daughter too.
    If I was in that situation I would want to know your address and where my daughter was, I'm sure you would too.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    it was said if there is an issue with a disturbance at your address you contact the police.
    Tell him not to hold his breath that they'll actually do anything, if he contacts them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Tell him not to hold his breath that they'll actually do anything, if he contacts them.

He can make a record of it and the garda will have a record of it and if there is a pattern then it's possible for legal actions or orders to be put in place.

Morag wrote: »
    He can make a record of it and the garda will have a record of it and if there is a pattern then it's possible for legal actions or orders to be put in place.
    That's true, but again it comes down to what sanctions will be realistically employed for someone who repeatedly does things like this. Problem is that courts are loathed to fine or issue bench warrants for mothers, the logic being that such rulings will negatively affect the children in their care.

As such, perhaps and eventually a court will take action, but if so (and there is no guarantee that they ever will) it can take literally years of constant and significant levels of abuse, breaking of court orders, etc., before something might actually be done about it.

In that context, I can well empathize that simply refusing to give one's address is a much simpler means to deal with such situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The OP asked should he have to give his address to his ex. Let's stick to that topic instead of going off on a tangent as per usual

In that context, I can well empathize that simply refusing to give one's address is a much simpler means to deal with such situations.

That may be but parents both parent's should know were their kids are staying.

That may be but parents both parent's should know were their kids are staying.
    I agree, and said so earlier. But if access is at a neutral location (especially if supervised), the father's address becomes a moot point.

I agree, and said so earlier. But if access is at a neutral location, the father's address becomes a moot point.

But that then means no over nights which has a range of ramifications.

But that then means no over nights which has a range of ramifications.
    Not necessarily; she would still have the address of where the access it taking place, and overnights could take place there (e.g. his parent's home). Of course this depends on whether there's a suitable neutral location.

Ultimately, the mother does have a moral right to know where her child is, however he's also got a moral right to his privacy. If a compromise can be found that keeps everybody happy, then all well and good.

Overall though, we don't really know what the details of the OP's situation are; we don't even know if his ex is harassing him and why he wants to keep his address secret or, conversely, if his ex wants to know his address principally because she precisely wants to harass him.

He asked if he's legally obliged to give his address; he's not. A neutral location is one way of getting around this and potentially keeping everyone happy (enough).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

He asked if he's legally obliged to give his address; he's not. A neutral location is one way of getting around this and potentially keeping everyone happy (enough).

Let's not play with semantics here. He has his daughter for one night every weekend. He is obliged to tell her mother where her daughter is staying. End of. This is not her "moral right" - it's her legal right as the child's guardian.

Let's end the speculation of abusive relationships, neutral locations, his right to privacy etc. It is not relevant to the OP.

Advertisement