Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentary/Movie recommendations

Options
  • 04-02-2013 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just saw Code Rush recently was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for something similar? Could definitely relate to a lot of it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

while possibly not in the same vein give indie game:the movie a look,its an interesting look at (surprise surprise!:) ) indie game development lol.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1942884/?ref_=sr_1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Downloaded looks like it might be good. It's the napster story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Luxstock has some great documentaries and a wide range of topics.

Here's the technologies links

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Probably one of the greatest tech documentaries was released yesterday

The Pirate Bay: Away From Keyboard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTOKXCEwo_8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

I don't think there are a lot of movies in this space. Maybe its inherently hard to capture what exactly goes on, on a TV screen.

Lots of books: 'Hackers' by Stephen Levy is worth a read for history of tech. Maybe 'Soul of a new machine' too. Maybe 'Dreaming in Code', 'Coders at work', 'Hackers and painters', 'Joel on software'?
    KonFusion wrote: »

For documentaries/fictionalisations I have to second 'Pirates of Silicon Valley'; its fun, and I like the fact that several of the protagonists have said the characterisations are basically accurate (including Gates on reddit yesterday).
    Was on youtube last I checked.

'Indie Game' is well made, but might make you cringe a little as a developer.

'Startup.com' is a cringe inducing look at a failing dot com at the height of the bubble.

A lot of people recommend 'Office Space', which is fictional, but captures some of the SV office culture.

There's lots of small documentaries out there. e.g. 'Arduino: the documentary' is a look at the whole 'internet of things' trend.

Going away from programming, there's documentaries on Design that might be worth a look; 'Objectified' has some interviews with Jonny Ive.

I don't really recommend 'BBCs the virtual revolution'.

After that, I dunno; you're into movies like Wargames, Hackers, Sneakers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I can highly recommend not watching "Aardvarked'd: 12 weeks with geeks" from Fog Creek.

They decided to avoid touching on any topic in the field of software that Joel might have ever blogged about (i.e. everything).

I love Office Space, pure gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

fergalr wrote: »
    Maybe 'Soul of a new machine' too.

Greatest book written about the indusutry in my view.

Trojan wrote: »
    I can highly recommend not watching "Aardvarked'd: 12 weeks with geeks" from Fog Creek.

They decided to avoid touching on any topic in the field of software that Joel might have ever blogged about (i.e. everything).

I deliberately did not mention 'aardvarkd'.
    *shiver*

Of course, there's loads of talks on youtube, where people recount their dev experiences, these can be pretty entertaining and insightful, too.

One entertaining talk I watched recently was Patrick Collison's 'startup school' talk. Its about the process of developing a startup, more than just coding, though there's some great nuggets of dev experience in there.
    http://startupschool.org/2012/collison/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

BBC's "Micro Men". It is about Clive Sinclair (ZX Spectrum etc) and Chris Curry (the BBC micro). Definitely worth watching.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

One entertaining talk I watched recently was Patrick Collison's 'startup school' talk. Its about the process of developing a startup, more than just coding, though there's some great nuggets of dev experience in there.
    http://startupschool.org/2012/collison/

Wanted to watch it but I couldn't. Why does he have an American accent. He's Irish. That drives me crazy; not sure why.

Wanted to watch it but I couldn't. Why does he have an American accent. He's Irish. That drives me crazy; not sure why.

First off, I think his accent is pretty Irish, so I'm not sure what you mean.
    Maybe its a bit american, because he's lived there for a while, if so fair enough.

But like, that's a pretty strange comment overall. Lots of Irish people have gone to the states for various reason, and sure, sometimes their accents get a little american. But so what? Why's it matter how they sound?

Basically, its brilliant that there's a few young Irish guys over there, making a massive company, providing a cool service. I haven't used stripe, its not available here yet, but everyone seems to love it.
    As well as creating huge value, those guys must surely be doing fantastic things for the image of ireland in the SV tech scene; so I think its pretty strange to be commenting on their accent. Try and get over your craziness, its a fun talk! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

First off, I think his accent is pretty Irish, so I'm not sure what you mean.
    Maybe its a bit american, because he's lived there for a while, if so fair enough.

But like, that's a pretty strange comment overall. Lots of Irish people have gone to the states for various reason, and sure, sometimes their accents get a little american. But so what? Why's it matter how they sound?

It doesn't take away from what he's achieved it just irritates me to listen to. Plus a few years in the states doesn't change your accent. I know people who've lived there and other places for decades who still sound the same.

Ugh I'll give it another go. :pac:

Advertisement