Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin Van Persie - Is it time to sell?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

As somebody else has said, the way I see it is that Rooney is in need of more game time than RvP, in terms of the season as a whole and over the last couple of weeks. Also Ferguson has often stated how Rooney benefits from playing regularly.

I think it's unlikely that he plays both of them just 3 days prior to the Madrid game. When he played a strong side against Everton after City's loss to Saints, he specifically said that getting that 12 point cushion would enable him to rest players later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

moreau wrote: »

You said you have Aguero?

Are you benching Aguero and RVP next week? or bringing in Suarez

what is your strikeforce if I may ask?

A lot of questions but Aguero is intriguing post GW29;)

I'll probably get Lambert in for Aguero for a week, then see.

could even do Cisse.

iv Aguero, RVP, Sturridge at the moment.

I'll have 2 FTs that week so im keeping options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

This thread is going to be interesting tomorrow in gw 26 us rvp sellers were the clear minority. Theres a lot more of us this time around. Strange as it might sound a fair few of those that kept rvp will be as happy as us that have sold rvp,if rvp comes on for a 1 pt cameo as they will have left him on their bench.
    If rvp scores a couple a fair few will pop in to say hello for the first time since the everton game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Local press suggest that SAF has indicated that Van Persie will play some part in the game against Norwich http://tinyurl.com/b4aum95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I can't really see RVP starting tomorrow but he will come on as a sub IMO. Or, if he starts, he'll be subbed before 90 minutes.

I'm still benching him though. Eep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

I can't really see RVP starting tomorrow but he will come on as a sub IMO. Or, if he starts, he'll be subbed before 90 minutes.

I'm still benching him though. Eep.

it's rvp, if he gets game time he gets points. you are nuts benching him

darego wrote: »
    it's rvp, if he gets game time he gets points. you are nuts benching him

My other forwards are Mata, Bale, Michu, Fellaini, Suarez and Lambert. The only player I would be in anyway comfortable benching out of that lot would be Fellaini, and he's at home to a Reading side which conceded three at home to Stoke.

It's a toss up between RVP & Fellaini for the bench for me. If it wasn't for the Madrid game and United's PL lead, RVP would be starting, no question. As it is though......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

i won't be captaining RVP today but will def be starting him, big chance i'll only get 1 point but at home to norwich it's worth the risk, i expect he'll get some gametime after missing most of the qpr game, there's a fine line between resting players and keeping them match fit and a player like RVP who is now in the main, a "penalty box" player isn't going to need as much rest as a winger or midfielder, i said all along that this is the game he won't start and while i still believe that i'm gone from 80/20 sure to about 60/40, Ferguson knows the value of winning today and with teams like Norwich, if they can stay level or get ahead with with 60 minutes gone they are very hard to break down as they have 10 behind the ball whereas if you score a goal or two early they have to take risks and attack, so maybe ferguson will think that if he starts RVP he can have the game won by half time and bring RVP and 1 or 2 others off around the hour mark.
    Even if he doesn;t start i think he'll want to give him 25/30 minutes so enough time to do damage.

Hogey007 wrote: »
    i won't be captaining RVP today but will def be starting him, big chance i'll only get 1 point but at home to norwich it's worth the risk, i expect he'll get some gametime after missing most of the qpr game, there's a fine line between resting players and keeping them match fit and a player like RVP who is now in the main, a "penalty box" player isn't going to need as much rest as a winger or midfielder, i said all along that this is the game he won't start and while i still believe that i'm gone from 80/20 sure to about 60/40, Ferguson knows the value of winning today and with teams like Norwich, if they can stay level or get ahead with with 60 minutes gone they are very hard to break down as they have 10 behind the ball whereas if you score a goal or two early they have to take risks and attack, so maybe ferguson will think that if he starts RVP he can have the game won by half time and bring RVP and 1 or 2 others off around the hour mark.
    Even if he doesn;t start i think he'll want to give him 25/30 minutes so enough time to do damage.

I agree with everything you said there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭garra

My other forwards are Mata, Bale, Michu, Fellaini, Suarez and Lambert. The only player I would be in anyway comfortable benching out of that lot would be Fellaini, and he's at home to a Reading side which conceded three at home to Stoke.

It's a toss up between RVP & Fellaini for the bench for me. If it wasn't for the Madrid game and United's PL lead, RVP would be starting, no question. As it is though......

What criteria did you have to consider feeling comfortable about benching Fellaini against Reading at home? How did you go in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

swapped vp for suarez,worked out nicely so far,shame i didnt make him captain,time for augero to step up to the plate!

If Sturridge isn't guaranteed to start the Spurs game I'll probably take a punt on Benteke. Reading and QPR up next. Both 6 pointers.

garra wrote: »
    What criteria did you have to consider feeling comfortable about benching Fellaini against Reading at home? How did you go in the end

Fellaini's form, the Villa game excepted, had me leaning towards benching him before the RVP rumours. As it was, I benched RVP and it worked out. The other candidate to bench was Michu but he was against a weakened Newcastle side, so I didn't want to tempt fate there. Lambert was disappointing after his recent run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Knew he wasn't protected .

Jax Teller wrote: »

I seen that why did he not drop thurs aswell was it because he had a yellow flag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Looks like fixture congestion may not be a huge problem.

I can't see United pulling this one back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Jax Teller wrote: »

He was ! But only for 1 day, 1 price drop or whatever the new rule is.
    But if you knew it I'd love that you explain to us how doe sthe system work. I could very well get the way the previous system was working but the current one makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lemlin wrote: »
    Looks like fixture congestion may not be a huge problem.

I can't see United pulling this one back.

i think he'll still be rested for the Reading game, assuming he plays against Chelsea, but after that, yeah, it might not be much of an issue anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

RVP will not be rested, like he was supposed to be rested for the Norwich game. He will start every league game until the league title is done & dusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

SlickRic wrote: »
    i think he'll still be rested for the Reading game, assuming he plays against Chelsea, but after that, yeah, it might not be much of an issue anymore.

don't see it myself, ferguson is determined to win the league back after last seasons events, he won't take any chances and unless injured RVP will start, he can't afford to give city any chance because momentum is a big thing in title run in's, 1 defeat, draw, opens the door a little and gives city hope. He'll be looking at beating reading and hoping city drop points v everton and will put out his strongest team possible to play reading. if and only if the league is mathmatically won with a couple of games to spare the likes of RVP will be rested to give the squad players some starts.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think the gamble a few of us took on RVP hasn't worked out. I didn't expect him to start last week and was banking on United getting past Real. Unfortunately a shocking ref has put an end to that!

Still not guaranteed to bring him back in, if Rooney is fit I might go with him instead. But I do think RVP should play every league game from now on.

RVP is two goals behind Suarez with ten games left.

He'll want to kick on and win the Golden Boot.

Whilst Fergie will be keen to humiliate his "noisy neighbours" after the manner in which they lost the title last year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

roryc wrote: »
    Yeah I think the gamble a few of us took on RVP hasn't worked out. I didn't expect him to start last week and was banking on United getting past Real. Unfortunately a shocking ref has put an end to that!

Still not guaranteed to bring him back in, if Rooney is fit I might go with him instead. But I do think RVP should play every league game from now on.

Not necessarily Rory. The truth is, Van Persie has been quite poor in front of goal over the last 3-4 weeks. The chances he was putting away earlier in the season are now being fluffed. Shots on target are now hopeless efforts. It's Chelsea on Saturday so he needs to find the form very quickly.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Not necessarily Rory. The truth is, Van Persie has been quite poor in front of goal over the last 3-4 weeks. The chances he was putting away earlier in the season are now being fluffed. Shots on target are now hopeless efforts. It's Chelsea on Saturday so he needs to find the form very quickly.

Form aside, the reason I got rid was because I though he would miss 2 or maybe even 3 of the four games. He's already played 60 minutes of the first, and will most likely start the next three. On that basis the gamble has failed.

Whether we'll get punished for it is another thing. If RVP draws a blank over the next two weeks I'll consider myself lucky, it doesn't take away from the fact that the reason I took him out in the first place didn't work out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Form aside, the reason I got rid was because I though he would miss 2 or maybe even 3 of the four games. He's already played 60 minutes of the first, and will most likely start the next three. On that basis the gamble has failed.

Whether we'll get punished for it is another thing. If RVP draws a blank over the next two weeks I'll consider myself lucky, it doesn't take away from the fact that the reason I took him out in the first place didn't work out.

Now that WHU game looks like dropping out of GW29, he will surely start vs Reading at home. You have 2 weeks to get him in and 30+ points in the bank from the Suarez heroics.

On that basis, the transfer worked.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Now that WHU game looks like dropping out of GW29, he will surely start vs Reading at home. You have 2 weeks to get him in and 30+ points in the bank from the Suarez heroics.

On that basis, the transfer worked.

I didn't transfer him out for Suarez, I transferred him out for Lambert. Already had Suarez...

So -3 points in the bank! And (IF I choose to get him back) I'll have lost £0.3m, + spent 2 transfers to get him IN/OUT. If Lambert scores this weekend it will make it a good move, monetarily at least.

Doesn't take away from the fact that I think it was the right move under the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Reasoning for me was just that in the next couple of weeks Suarez will get me more points than a Van Persie I won't know whether to start or not.

I didn't transfer him out for Suarez, I transferred him out for Lambert. Already had Suarez...

So -3 points in the bank! And (IF I choose to get him back) I'll have lost £0.3m, + spent 2 transfers to get him IN/OUT. If Lambert scores this weekend it will make it a good move, monetarily at least.

Doesn't take away from the fact that I think it was the right move under the circumstances.
    I think your gamble has been a success. I assume you got 13.5 for him you will be able to buy him back for 13.7 plus Im sure you got a .1 rise off lambert all in all costing you .1. Lambert plays 180 mins as opposed to rvps 60 mins. Going forward you have great flexibility in your team now, rvp has 1 goal in 8 games now and theres still fear of rotation IMO.
    If RVP starts against chelsea I agree with slickric theres a chance he wont start against reading.
    2 mar norwich
    5 mar real
    10 mar chelsea
    16 mar reading
    he then plays two games for holland
    30 mar sunderland
    Potential FA cup replay if they draw sunday
    8 Apr man city
    Reading at home is the one game to potentially give him a rest and and Ill probably get rooney in for that game instead of RVP as rooney will definetely start and now has a point to prove.
    The golden boot point lemlin makes is definetely a factor for getting him back in though.
    I reckon the key point is you now have the flexibility to make that decision week on week.

I think your gamble has been a success. I assume you got 13.5 for him you will be able to buy him back for 13.7 plus Im sure you got a .1 rise off lambert all in all costing you .1. Lambert plays 180 mins as opposed to rvps 60 mins. Going forward you have great flexibility in your team now, rvp has 1 goal in 8 games now and theres still fear of rotation IMO.
    If RVP starts against chelsea I agree with slickric theres a chance he wont start against reading.
    2 mar norwich
    5 mar real
    10 mar chelsea
    16 mar reading
    he then plays two games for holland
    30 mar sunderland
    Potential FA cup replay if they draw sunday
    8 Apr man city
    Reading at home is the one game to potentially give him a rest and and Ill probably get rooney in for that game instead of RVP as rooney will definetely start and now has a point to prove.
    The golden boot point lemlin makes is definetely a factor for getting him back in though.
    I reckon the key point is you now have the flexibility to make that decision week on week.

I don't see why Fergie would rest him ahead of two international games to be honest.

He's more likely to assess him when he gets back and rest him then if needed IMO.

He hasn't played a huge amount of football in the last three weeks anyway.

I really think now that United are out of the CL the risk of rotation and rest is alot less, until United have secured the league at least.

And even then he'll be going for the golden boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I agree that this is the real beauty of having sold him.

Advertisement