Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

customer won't pay

Options
  • 04-02-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Need some advise please. I have a customer ( solicitors ) who owe me a small amount for goods going back to last May. Every time we call for payment they keep saying they will send out a cheque. ( amount is €210.14 ).
    They are now are saying they will pay when they have the money to. The lady in the firm sounds like she has not intention of paying the bill. We are a very small business & can't afford to take any "hits" on monies outstanding.
    Can anybody advise best route to take please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I find that sending a fax every day focuses the mind. Also, call in in person - they find it harder to lie to your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

AFAIK, this should be covered by the Small Claims Court, since 2010.

If so, make sure you have plenty of evidence that they have accepted the goods and agreed to the debt, ideally in writing. Then send them a registered letter outlining how their debt is long overdue and if they don't pay within X days you'll be forced to take legal action. If they still don't pay, apply to the small claims court, using their procedures.

If not, then what mitosis suggests is your only realistic course of action. I've done the whole turning up at their doorstep on a daily basis routine myself in the past and it does often work, especially if you make no secret of why you're there while they have clients present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Tell them that you are getting on to the Law Society as they are obviously unable to pay their debts, bet you get your money.

complaints@lawsociety.ie.

cheers

peter

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SAR10

Will send the registered letter thanks. I have already threatened legal action, the reply was " do what you have to do". Its so annoying, they think they can just keep putting you off until you get fed up because its not a huge amount. Unfortunately, we have been stung for quite a bit on money of the last 3 years.
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Send a note of the outstanding amount in big letters on a postcard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Send a note of the outstanding amount in big letters on a postcard.

If it is to a named individual this breaches data protection law and the person could be sanctioned by the Data Protection Commissioner. Case law on this subject on DPC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SAR10

will do, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

joeguevara wrote: »
    If it is to a named individual this breaches data protection law and the person could be sanctioned by the Data Protection Commissioner. Case law on this subject on DPC website.

Can be sent to the registered name, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Can be sent to the registered name, no problem.

Solicitors firms are usually sole traders or partnerships (identifiable people rather than company names). The OP would be treading on thin ice if he did this. Better advice is to send registered letter demanding money and proceed through the proper channels!

Advertisement