Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New politics subject for LC

• 04-02-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone has any up-to-date information on the new "politics and society" subject that's supposed to be introduced soon for LC? I understand the curriculum has been approved, and its just a matter of the department making a decision on when to start it. Any updates?

Also wondering about what qualifications you are likely to need to teach it. I've a Masters in International Politics, as well as having done sociology/politics as a first year subject in Arts, and lots of work experience in politics. Currently, that doesnt meet the minimums for teaching CSPE. But I feel like the Masters should count for something?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

They have been talking about that subject since I did my Dip in 2006. It looks like it's not happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Architectural Technology was due to be introduced in 2007 I think (unitl they ran out of money) it had spent years in the pipe line syllabus written inservices prepared huge money thrown at getting it ready.
    We are still waiting. There is absolutly no money anywhere to introduce any new subjects that will require huge amonut of inservices etc.
    By the time they have the money to introduce any new subject the syllabus will be so out of date it will need to be re written and that will take a few years as there are so many layers of politics involved in writing a syllabus.
    If it is waiting since 2006 I wouldn't hold your breath. Although I don't know anything about the subject this would be the general theme going across a number of areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Definitely wouldn't be holding your breath. There's a draft new Jc music syllabus already done but no roll out 4 years later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The new Ag Science syllabus was drafted in 1996. Still no sign of it. We are still working on the 1969 syllabus. Yes you read that correctly. 1969.

Also if the new JC is going to be rolled out over the next few years I imagine all money and effort will go into that before introducing any new LC subjects.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The new Ag Science syllabus was drafted in 1996. Still no sign of it. We are still working on the 1969 syllabus. Yes you read that correctly. 1969.

That's actually hilarious. The syllabus must be either very vague, so able to adapt to the times, or ridiculously out of date.

I wouldn't complain about the level of politics in drafting a syllabus in Ireland though. There's been a lot of talk in England recently about who is influencing a new primary school English/Literacy curriculum. There have been suggestions that a private phonics consultant actually wrote part of it. A drawn out and open consultation is better than a short and secretive one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

dambarude wrote: »
    That's actually hilarious. The syllabus must be either very vague, so able to adapt to the times, or ridiculously out of date.

I wouldn't complain about the level of politics in drafting a syllabus in Ireland though. There's been a lot of talk in England recently about who is influencing a new primary school English/Literacy curriculum. There have been suggestions that a private phonics consultant actually wrote part of it. A drawn out and open consultation is better than a short and secretive one.

It is 6 pages long. :D

That's four pages longer than the Ag Economics syllabus also around since 1969.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

dambarude wrote: »

I would have to disagree here. A short open consultation is possible it doesn't have to be a drawn out consultation process. Even people within the system will tell you how stupid the current system is.

I know the Construction Studies syllabus was written prior to 1984 with one special line in it to encompass all "new technologies". Now the text book written only about 5 years ago is already out of date due to all the new technologies added year after year making the syllabus bigger and bigger.
    very unfair on the kids and teachers to have a course that constantly changes and updates without officially doing so. Without any training, inservices or teaching materials to support these changes.

I would say there are other subjects in the same boat in relation to a new syllabus in the pipeline but as someone said with the new JC nothing will happen in the LC

Advertisement