Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Engineer callout

Options
  • 04-02-2013 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

We logged a call through Vodafone to get an Eircom engineer out to replace the main drop point in our house as it was hit by lightning on Monday night.
    Just wondering if we could get an ETA for the engineer?

Many thanks,
    G

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are very busy in Munster and in Galway/ Mayo/ South Leinster. Lots and Lots of lightning damage.

This and the inclement weather has caused a maintenance backlog which is understandable in the circumstances. Last time I saw something like this it took a fortnight to clear. Fixing lines in cold howling winds in Mayo is not easy....as in today.

It would be a help if eircom published a time to clear by County so people get an idea of the local backlogs but they have been hit by exceptional circumstances in those areas.

I'd be amazed if a few exchanges aren't damaged ( as well as lines) and a list of those and the ETA to repair would be a great help. Last time I remember electrical storms like the past week a few exchanges in Connemara were mangled.

Situation Friday 01

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_STORM_DAMAGE_UPDATE/

Situation last Wednesday ( better and we had more lightning since)

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/poor_weather_conditions_impact_eircom_network_currently_over_4500_reported_/

( IN case someone reminds you that you are not an eircom customer :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi guys,

We logged a call through Vodafone to get an Eircom engineer out to replace the main drop point in our house as it was hit by lightning on Monday night.
    Just wondering if we could get an ETA for the engineer?

Many thanks,
    G
    Hi whitelightrider
    If your service is with another provider then we are unlikely to have access to fault you have opened. I can not advise on this case. We have posted information here on areas where high numbers of faults were reported due to recent bad weather conditions and will be posting more info there as soon as we have this.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They are very busy in Munster and in Galway/ Mayo/ South Leinster. Lots and Lots of lightning damage.

This and the inclement weather has caused a maintenance backlog which is understandable in the circumstances. Last time I saw something like this it took a fortnight to clear. Fixing lines in cold howling winds in Mayo is not easy....as in today.

It would be a help if eircom published a time to clear by County so people get an idea of the local backlogs but they have been hit by exceptional circumstances in those areas.

I'd be amazed if a few exchanges aren't damaged ( as well as lines) and a list of those and the ETA to repair would be a great help. Last time I remember electrical storms like the past week a few exchanges in Connemara were mangled.

Situation Friday 01

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_STORM_DAMAGE_UPDATE/

Situation last Wednesday ( better and we had more lightning since)

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/poor_weather_conditions_impact_eircom_network_currently_over_4500_reported_/

( IN case someone reminds you that you are not an eircom customer )
    Hey Tony, thanks a million.  
    Hey Sponge Bob - yeah it was some belt around our area in Monivea.

Tony - quick one. I just got a resolution from Vodafone regarding the issue so it looks like the line fault might be cleared, but the internal drop point looks to be damaged so that'll have to be replaced.  Would that be covered under the fault also or can I purchase the drop points somewhere?

Hey Tony, thanks a million.  
    Hey Sponge Bob - yeah it was some belt around our area in Monivea.

Tony - quick one. I just got a resolution from Vodafone regarding the issue so it looks like the line fault might be cleared, but the internal drop point looks to be damaged so that'll have to be replaced.  Would that be covered under the fault also or can I purchase the drop points somewhere?
    Hi whitelightrider
    you should be covered to the main socket. Any point from this would not be included as covered. What point was damaged?
    Tony

Hi whitelightrider
    you should be covered to the main socket. Any point from this would not be included as covered. What point was damaged?
    Tony
    Hey Tony,  
    Its the main drop point socket inside the house.  All other sockets look fine but when I took the cover off the main drop socket it was black and looked like it took a hit.

• Advertisement

Hi whitelightrider
    Tony
    Hey Tony,  
    Its the main drop point socket inside the house.  All other sockets look fine but when I took the cover off the main drop socket it was black and looked like it took a hit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ESB Networks have a nice fault indicator map that I commend to eircom wholesale!

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

If you see an eircom van OP then stop and ask them for a master socket if you think you can wire it ( and if there is nobody home during the day) .

Instructions here > http://www.reci.ie/Portals/0/RECIDocuments/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

Hey Tony,  
    I would certainly report that whitelightrider. When you report the problem state that the main socket is blackened as result of lightning.
    Tony

I would certainly report that whitelightrider. When you report the problem state that the main socket is blackened as result of lightning.
    TonyHi 
    Hi Tony,

I was on to Vodafone and they said that they had reported it to Eircom but are waiting on a response and to book an appointment with an engineer.  Is there any way to speed this up as we've already identified the fault and I just need to get the main socket replaced?  Its been logged since last Thursday.

Hi Tony,

I was on to Vodafone and they said that they had reported it to Eircom but are waiting on a response and to book an appointment with an engineer.  Is there any way to speed this up as we've already identified the fault and I just need to get the main socket replaced?  Its been logged since last Thursday.
    Hi whitelightrider
    afraid this would not show up on any of my systems. Your current provider should be able to escalate this for you and there is a 2 to 4 working day resolve time.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi whitelightrider
    afraid this would not show up on any of my systems. Your current provider should be able to escalate this for you and there is a 2 to 4 working day resolve time.
    Tony
    Hey Tony,

Seemingly they escalated this on Friday - which I dont believe at all.  Ill touch base with them and see if I can chase them.
    If I could source a main socket Id replace it myself!

Hey Tony,

Seemingly they escalated this on Friday - which I dont believe at all.  Ill touch base with them and see if I can chase them.
    If I could source a main socket Id replace it myself!
    You should be able to get this in a good electricial store and with a little knowledge replace.
    Probably better to have this doen by eircom tech though as they then have responsibility for replaced socket.
    Hope this gets resolved for you soon.
    Tony

Advertisement