Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

THAT paul Gascoigne video ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

jesus christ the man is in the horrors....sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It's hard to feel any sympathy for a man that beats women, even if he has got a terrible illness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

The sad people who laugh and cheer at every curse are just to blame,he obviously thinks its hilarious behaving like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

he's fcked up so he is, will be dead sooner rather than later if he dosent quit for good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

hes had this problem for years now..alcohol is the devil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I couldn't keep watching... Terrible stuff addiction !

I work in a shop and I see the same people day in day out coming in buying bottle of vodka/whiskey/ beer.

Like any addiction it changes the person. I'm sure any acolholic or drug addict never thought they'd turn into a wife/ husband beater.

Gazza has been battling his addiction for years. George best to my knowledge never tried to get help till it was to late.

I don't think anybody in the sporting world expects to see gazza for much longer. There's not much left of the former man/ legend that was.

Sad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

George Best scoring 6 against the Cobblers in the 1970 FA Cup

Gazza hammered in the Northampton Moat House Hotel (or whatever its called now)

So now Northampton Town can be associated with 2 of the finest footballers who píssed away their careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

ricero wrote: »
    Better of dead so he is

Do yourself and others a favour and never join the Samaritans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

ricero wrote: »
    Better of dead so he is

Splendid.

If you watch the video all the way through you can see he is on the verge of tears a couple of times. He knows what state he is in. The presenter tries to calm him down when he gets too emotional and someone from the crowd shouts out "leave him alone".

How he was allowed to take to the stage to be humiliated like this in front of a room full of people is something that needs to be asked.

He really needs help but has been offered lots before and unless he wants to help himself there is not much hope. Its still doesn't mean we shouldn't try help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I found it funny that they beeped out the swearing.

Due to a combination of his accent, his poor condition and the recording I couldn't make out a single word he was saying anyway. I probably wouldn't have even known he was swearing without the 'beeps' put in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Unfortunately he does not look long for this world. The uncontrolable shaking was disturbing. He has done serious damage to his body and it will not recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Horrific.

I'll have to remember him as the magnificient player he was so.

This alcohol poisoned body being shown to the world like a performing seal for cheap laughs is not the man I will remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Unfortunately he does not look long for this world. The uncontrolable shaking was disturbing. He has done serious damage to his body and it will not recover.

Have a look at Ozzy Osbourne. You can come back from that. You'll still look a bit ****ed but he's only 45 - he could have years.

That shaking could be to do with anxiety too. He is clearly well aware of the fact that he's a mess and was put up in front of a crowd to tell stories, despite being unable to string a sentence together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Watched 45 seconds and had turn off.

I hope he makes it through.

He was bit of clown(not first or last), but in fairness he was super player and would not wish that on anybody.

He was bit of clown(not first or last), but in fairness he was super player and would not wish that on anybody.

A bit of a clown? The extent to which people buy this description always amazes me. Time and time again he's been guilty of far worse then could be described as the actions of a clown.

I hope he's remembered for the disgusting individual he is

Can't beat those high horse internet brigade.

Wish him well, horrible addiction, not to mention his mental health.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Can't beat those high horse internet brigade.

If you consider the condemning of a man who beats his wife to be getting on a high horse, it probably reflects more on your own social standards then those of others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have not watched the video, but have been told by some that had that it resembled some of the more recent public appearances by the wrestler Scott Hall.

If it is along those lines then it is sad to see a human being at such a low ebb (regardless of whether it was self inflicted or not) and what is possibly even sadder is that the man has family/hangers on that will most likely make his death all about them rather than fight hard now to try and help the man help himself.

Was never a fan of Gascoigne the player or Gascoigne the man, but I have seen the impact addictions like his have on people, and as such I would hope against hope that the man finds a path out of his hell, a hell he played no small part in creating imo.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If you consider the condemning of a man who beats his wife to be getting on a high horse, it probably reflects more on your own social standards then those of others

Like your standards on here eh? :rolleyes:

England legend Paul Gascoigne that received widespread attention yesterday after it was released by the Sunday Sun newspaper.

Just spotted this, enough said.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Like your standards on here eh? :rolleyes:

What standards?

My point is simply that despite suffering from a horrible disease, he's not the cheeky chappy he's painted as. He's a man guilty of numerous despicable acts and I don't think a witty persona and an amazing natural footballing ability should paint over this

I'm not getting on any high horse, and I don't see how condemning someone with his track record can be seen as such

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'm not getting on any high horse, and I don't see how condemning someone with his track record can be seen as such

Condemning his actions? Fair enough.

Wishing him pain and suffering? Cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

He must be taking some amount of stuff to be that bad.

Not good.

Condemning his actions? Fair enough.

Wishing him pain and suffering? Cop on.

Point out where I've done that? I clearly haven't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

When him and paul merson lived together in middlesbrough, they played a drinking game. bottles of wine and sleeping tablets and see who could stay awake the longest! utter madness. it took 3 weeks for gazza to find out there was beds in the house bad bad times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Sad sight ... sadder still thats he's had plenty of support and opportunity to get clean but just cant seem to. Dont fancy his chances of ever beating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Surely football, with its millions, is morally obliged in some way to help him?

Poor old sod, used to worship him when he was at Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

He's checked into Rehab in the States according to Twitter.

All the best Paul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

ironic to see the same scum tabloids that aided and abetted his excesses now claiming that they want to save Gazza :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

markesmith wrote: »
    Surely football, with its millions, is morally obliged in some way to help him?

If there is a charity pot somewhere I think I'd rather see it go to the old timers who never already got millions from the game in the first place.

roanoke wrote: »
    If there is a charity pot somewhere I think I'd rather see it go to the old timers who never already got millions from the game in the first place.

he's gotten tons of help from the fa, he's just kept fallin of the wagon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I really wish and hope he gets greatt help and finally over comes his demons but I just see it due to past failures . Hope he proves this beleif wrong, all the best paul on your treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

Hate that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »

He may handle it badly, but it's an awful
    disease and of all the things tht reflect badly on him, I don't think his handling of the alcoholism should be one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It is a little strange that we let the fact someone was good at football allow us to feel sympathy for an individual when in other circumstances we;d probably be saying "good enough for em etc".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

so sad to watch - he looks more in withdrawal , than drunk - he has to face a long hard path to get sober - it can be done , but very very difficult.

Without Gazza would the EPL have taken off like it did ?- his performances and personality woke up the UK to football hysteria , to what it is today - saw him play for Spurs , class footballer - get well Gazza

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

noodler wrote: »
    It is a little strange that we let the fact someone was good at football allow us to feel sympathy for an individual when in other circumstances we;d probably be saying "good enough for em etc".

People don't need to have seen the guy play for club or country to have sympathy for him. The fella is a physical, emotional and psychological mess. You wouldn't wish that on a footballer, a bin-man or a shop assistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Im usually able to watch all sorts of videos on the internet but i couldnt bring myself to finish this. Gazza is in possibly the darkest place he has ever been. I wouldnt wish that upon my worst enemy. I really hope he copes on this time if him checking into rehab is true, loved him as a football and regardless of what he done in his past it would be horrible to see him go at his age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

djPSB wrote: »
    He must be taking some amount of stuff to be that bad.

Not good.

16 lines of cocaine and four bottles of whiskey a day he said in an interview with Piers Morgan last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

With the encouragement and assistance of celeb Chris Evans and former England cricketer Ronnie Irani, Gazza got on a plane yesterday to fly to a treatment centre in Phoenix, Arizona.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/9848784/Paul-Gascoigne-flies-to-US-for-rehabilitation-as-friends-Chris-Evans-and-Ronnie-Irani-help-troubled-star.html

i would love if he turned it around completley

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Madness that he was allowed out to do the interview.

So hard to watch, he's clearly upset and almost breaking down at parts.

Hopefully can turn it around for good!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Poor guy should've been sectioned years ago for his own good , might not be the mess he is now sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I can't believe they'd actually put him out on stage like that when it was clear the man was in a sorry state.

He has been offered a lot of help though by a lot of people and I guess it's whether he wants to start helping himself now. He's running out of options at this stage, having had help and treatment before and still apparently drinking more than ever. If he hits the bottle again after this round of rehab then people are going to start losing patience with him as if he wants to do a Leaving Las Vegas on it then ultimately no-one can stop him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'm sure his agent, now supposedly very worried about his client was the one who made him get on the stage, the same agent who made the booking when his client was probably in exactly the same state, he hasn't got like that in the intervening weeks between booking and appearance, he's been like it for years. I doubt very much the charity would have providing they weren't left out of pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Really good piece on Gazza in the Times today. Think this link is only free til about 3pm so if you want to read it you'd better be quick.

http://blogs.thetimes.co.uk/section/the-game/97498/nothing-black-and-white-about-gazza/?shareToken=575056ec1f071e47895de394c7c6d9e2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

According to twitter, he's suffering serious withdrawals from not having alcohol and is in intensive care.

Shocking.

Advertisement