Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters recognised by Teaching Council?

• 04-02-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,
    I have a Masters in a subject I would like to teach, but not a primary degree (I took the subject in first year of arts, but thats all).

The Masters is 180 credits, and the Teaching Council says it requires 60 credits of a subject to recognise a degree.

However, no Masters degrees are listed in their list of 'recognised subjects.'

Is that for a particular reason, or just an oversight? Does an MA tend to be sufficient to register with the TC? Its a fairly solid training in your chosen subject, I would have thought ...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Unfortunately the Teaching Council don't accept a Masters degree to fulfil subject requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

sitstill wrote: »
    Unfortunately the Teaching Council don't accept a Masters degree to fulfil subject requirements.

Yes they do.
    They'll have to do an assessment of your Masters first. You need to supply a lot of documents. After they lose them the first time (it happened me and a few others, be warned!), it will take months and months. They will compare it to the degree that course and if anything is missing from the masters that would be on the degree it won't suffice. But sometime the Masters is fine and they will recognise it:)
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Yes they do.
    They'll have to do an assessment of your Masters first. You need to supply a lot of documents. After they lose them the first time (it happened me and a few others, be warned!), it will take months and months. They will compare it to the degree that course and if anything is missing from the masters that would be on the degree it won't suffice. But sometime the Masters is fine and they will recognise it:)
    Good luck!

How can that be when a Masters involves generally a specific area as opposed to the broadness of undergraduate study?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

How can that be when a Masters involves generally a specific area as opposed to the broadness of undergraduate study?

Because it might be so concentrated in one area that you don't have the required credits to cover a broader syllabus at JC/LC level.

It's possible that a person would do a degree in Animal Science/Zoology for example, do a masters in that area but then as a result have little or no study done on plant science and physiology which makes up a considerable amount of the biology LC course and of course is taught in JC Science as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

I was told by the teaching council a few years ago that my qualifications were at a post graduate level and so unacceptable. I had a professional qualification, rather than a masters. It wasn't the "form" of the qualification they took issue with, just the level of it. I had to take open university modules in the same subjects at a lower level, undergraduate, before they would even consider them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭kiva989

You would have to get your Masters assessed by them. And I've heard this can cost up to 3 grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

It was a non-specific language masters, and very general in its coverage of modules. It could vary a lot in other disciplines.

Advertisement