Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about domain registration in Ireland

Options
  • 04-02-2013 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I've a question about registering domains in Ireland. I want to know the quickest & best way of doing it.

A domain expired recently in ie that was perfect for our site. I checked last week and it was still held in case the original guy wanted it. I tried contacting the original owner but he didn't reply to me.
    As he didn't renew the domain, it became available at 12PM on Friday. A couple of minutes later I ordered the domain through Letshost. I got a receipt from them within 10 minutes..

At about 12:20 I did check it on Blacknights site and it said the domain was still available. I presumed this was just because their system wasn't updated. On Letshosts site it did say the domain was no longer available.

Later on during the day I got an email saying the domain was already purchased by someone else. I contacted the IEDR who said the domain was registered at 12:40pm by a customer of Blacknights.

I got an email from Letshost saying they tried to register the domain well after this time.

IEDR don't care. They just say it's first come first served. Letshost are saying it's terrible and there's nothing they can do and I'm left without the domain that I ordered first.

So after all that my question is what can I do to avoid this in future. Which site has the quickest procedures? I order a fair few domains for customers.
    Am I guaranteed that Blacknight are quicker than Letshost? If I am I'll move to Blacknight in future.
    Can I deal with the IEDR directly?
    Is there anything I could have done differently (apart from just use Blacknight) to make sure this didn't happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

I'm sure Blacknight will reply here with the facts,

As far as I know you can deal with IEDR yourself but I can assure you that won't be easy.

When it comes to domain registration in Ireland Blacknight are by far the biggest and best, not only are they the largest registrar of .ie in the world they are the only ICANN approved registrar in Ireland. To say Lets host are second best to Blacknight would be too kind to them.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Domain registration is 1st come, 1st served

It's not simply how fast you order with the registrar, but also how quickly they get the order to the registry.

I wouldn't guarantee that using company A over company B for registering .ie domain names is "faster" :)

Advertisement