Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-catering venue for team night out?

Options
  • 04-02-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got an odd little question here.
    Our team at work recently came up with a good idea for a team night out despite tight budgets, rent a kitchen with a dining room and cook ourselves and bring our own drinks as well.

I set out to try and find such a venue, and am so far rather surprised that they seem very thin on the ground.
    In fact, I haven't found a single place yet that would be suitable.

Our team is just around 20 people, and we'd just be looking to rent the place for an afternoon/evening, probably on a weekend.

Would anyone here have any suggestions?
    It would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Mm I could not imgine a lot of venues offering something like this, for insurance purposes alone. You would probably be best looking at renting a house perhaps..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

I was going to suggest renting a house. The other option could be to all book into a hostel for the night? May cost €15 or so each for a bunk but you would have full use of the kitchen and as far as I know can bring drink in with you.

A Hostel would be the job alrite.. There is a great one kinda just outside Skiberreen nearly sure it is this one http://www.russaghmillhostel.com/index.html. They have a small kitchen,, but loadsa space for seating and lots of rooms. Only thing is that they are a little odd or something, think you have to know someone who knows them. I tried getting onto them after the first visit and no one came back to me..Real weird when I rang

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    A hostel might be an idea... I had been looking at self-catering houses, but they'd definitely break the bank. The idea for this team night out is trying to do it as cheap as possible, after all.

I'll check if there are any hostels in Cork city that may offer something like what we've in mind. Skibereen is probably lovely, but very few of our team members own cars or drive, so it's not really feasible I'm afraid.

Sheilas in town might be worth a shot. best of luck with it.Let us know what happens, sounds like something good to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Not sure does the Pentouse suite in the Clarion have a Kitchen, I think I remember seeing one there. You could ring a check. Its a great room and the balcony has great views over Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I was going to suggest the imperial penthouse, similar to the clarion. Lovely room, great views, and big enough for your group.

But, are you expecting people to bring their own food to cook, or is the company contributing to that?

I honestly don't know how that would be any cheaper to rent a place, plus buy food and drinks and cook it, over just going out for a few sponsered pints in a pub you don't have to rent. Uncle Pete's deliver pizza to the beirhouse next door. No-one gripping over who is cooking what, and you can play boardgames or cards or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep pizza delivery surely is the way to go or something similar. Everyone trying to cook at the night out sounds like a nightmare logistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Ludo wrote: »
    Yep pizza delivery surely is the way to go or something similar. Everyone trying to cook at the night out sounds like a nightmare logistically.

No, we've got a few really good cooks, so we thought we'd buy the food, and then a few of us will prepare it for the rest.

Whoever wants to help can do so, the rest will just be fed ;)

But yes, looking at the options for renting such a venue, it doesn't seem any cheaper than a regular night out.
    Shame, it would have been fun I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Fair enough...have you tried any GAA clubs? Some of them may rent a hall with a kitchen and you may be able to bring your own beer also....not sure though. Not city centre also I guess so may not suit.

• Advertisement

Just thought of the Venue in Ballintemple, they might be worth a shot. I know they have opened up the back room as a function room and they do have a kitchen.. they are on facebook or give them a ring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Isaac's on McCurtain St. have some self-catering apartments you might be able to rent for a night. Can't comment on the price, but I don't think it's well known so might be cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

wife was in holland a few years ago, and on an office night out there, they were taken to a restaurant, and they cooked their own meal. split into teams, each one cooking starter, main etc there was a chef with each group telling them what to do. they had great night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'd get on to places that do cookery courses like CIT or St Johns College and see if they'll stage a special class for your group. They may insist on no alcohol until all the cooking is done, but I can't think of any self catering venues that would be large enough to have a kitchen that would let you cook for 20.

Advertisement