Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infuriating electric ireland!

Options
  • 04-02-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Have a big mix up that I need fixed asap. I received a large bill over christmas from electric ireland but it was estimated. I provided the true readings and received an updated bill.

The original bill was due for collection on the 25th, the updated on the 30th so I put in money on the 29th.

Unfortunately the money was taken out on the original date, incorrectly. I then incurred a 6 euro non payment fee that they have said they are crediting, but my bank are charging 12.70 failed DD fee :mad: Electric Ireland say they cannot refund me that fee but how is it my fault?

So basically, do I need to pay that fee out of pocket?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Direct debit files are generated several days before the payment date, in order to allow for enough time to have it processed by the bank. Your issue probably fell into that "dead time".

TBH, I don't think you have much of a case to have the DD fee refunded by Electric Ireland. It's just one of those situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Something similar happened to me, the €12.70 wiped out the discount I was getting for paying DD for the year, so I cancelled the DD.

When you have DD, you have to be on top of the game making sure your bills are without issue well before the DD is due. To me it def is not the no hassle option!

The thing is, if the money was there and they took the DD and you reversed it, you would not have had to pay the charge, but the money may not have been back in your account before the real DD was due, possible resulting in a charge anyway!

Looks like the only way around this is to have €3000 sitting in your current account all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

To do this, you have to get the company to prove its an unauthorised DD. Atleast this is what I was told by BOI.

Advertisement