Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another wiring a shed question

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    either 30ma rcd incommer(isolating switch)
    or 30ma rcbos on final circuits

if you had a shed 50m from house with extraneous metalwork and you simply wanted a light in the shed - in the uk they would run a 2-core and fit a separate rod

we have the same rules on bonding metalwork in outbuildings don't we?

the 'main bond' is from the house MET?

300ma you mean? I know years ago thats what i thought I remember it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Bruthal wrote: »

300ma you mean? I know years ago thats what i thought I remember it was.
    for TT to house they used to have 100ma TD incommer on a house and the 30ma sockets downstream afaik

for sheds being wired for TT i think they just use 30ma
    incommer or rcbos afaik

it saves the cost of running a main bond from house

in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sumeas

TT?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

sumeas wrote: »
    TT?

its a earting system ,the consumer must provide there own earth (through an earth rod)

for TT to house they used to have 100ma TD incommer on a house and the 30ma sockets downstream afaik

for sheds being wired for TT i think they just use 30ma
    incommer or rcbos afaik

it saves the cost of running a main bond from house

in the uk

Yea I have 100ma in my other post about main incommer. They might have a time delay to discriminate. Just used to remember in the 80`s something about 300ma main incommer RCD. Cant remember anything anymore.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea I have 100ma in my other post about main incommer. They might have a time delay to discriminate. Just used to remember in the 80`s something about 300ma main incommer RCD. Cant remember anything anymore.

When i worked on traffic signals the ones on TT supplies (taken from public lighting) had a main 300ma rcd

maxfresh wrote: »
    When i worked on traffic signals the ones on TT supplies (taken from public lighting) had a main 300ma rcd

Maybe there is hope for the oul memory yet:)

i think the 300ma is there for fire protection ,much better to have a tncs system with a low earth fault loop impedance in my opinion

i don't think 300ma is used for TT

fire yes

i think the 300ma rating for fire is based on 60watt starting a fire

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ok guys lets keep this thread on target, another thread on RCDs and earthing systems can be started if anyone wishes, no need to confuse the OP anymore.

• Advertisement

maxfresh wrote: »
    i think the 300ma is there for fire protection ,much better to have a tncs system with a low earth fault loop impedance in my opinion
    i don't think 300ma is used for TT

fire yes

i think the 300ma rating for fire is based on 60watt starting a fire

Its all down to decision makers in an office as to that aspect. 300 will offer fire protection, so will 30, 100 or any of them. But in tt setups, they offer disconnection on earth faults which mcb`s often, if not usually, wont. 30ma ones are primarily for direct contact shock protection. Anything above that are for tripping on earth faults, one (but not the only one) risk of which is fire. Another is protection from indirect shocks from items becoming live during earth faults.

For the OP, the likely best answer is get an electrician to look at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The poor OP must be lost or totally confused at this point.....:pac::pac:

I know I was with my garage/mews thread....lots of head scratching on my part.:confused::pac::D

Back to the op i would run minimum of 3x 6mm sq to the shed (depends on length of run ,load etc.)

fed from 32 amp mcb in house fuse board

one row fuse board in shed with main switch, 10 amp mcb for lights 20 amp rcbo for sockets

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Just got to read through all the replies,
    Thanks,
    I have a better idea of what I need now.
    The distance from the house to the shed is only 45 meters.

Are there any brick and mortar places around Dublin/Wexford that you guys would recommend for buying the materials?

I have a the metal sockets, switches, fuse board and lights. I just need the cabling now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

ocj wrote: »
    Thanks,

Are there any brick and mortar places around Dublin/Wexford that you guys would recommend for buying the materials?

I have a the metal sockets, switches, fuse board and lights. I just need the cabling now.

Any leccy wholesalers will have all that you need.

Loads in Dublin...(northside and southside)

SWA by the meter,2.5 and 1.5 nymj T&E by the meter,back boxes,sockets,switches,IP Rated board,RCDs and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ocj wrote: »
    Thanks,

check here,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193263

worth a call beforehand to check if they do sell all the cable by the Meter first rather than getting stung at the counter for 100m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Hi Lads, I've been reading this thread with interest as I and many Boarders have and want to light Sheds and Garages. I'm now a little confused as I think it failed to answer the basic question of whether you should or can use an Earth Rod to Earth the Garage Sub Board in conjunction with the Earth taken from the main House Board. Not being an Electrician I would have thought that all your doing is ensuring that you have a real good Earth. Or by having both does it make an RCD more difficult to trip. ?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

sky6 wrote: »
    I'm now a little confused as I think it failed to answer the basic question of whether you should or can use an Earth Rod to Earth the Garage Sub Board in conjunction with the Earth taken from the main House Board.

Normal practice in Ireland would be to take an earth from the house distribution board and not to install an additional earth electrode.
    Not being an Electrician I would have thought that all your doing is ensuring that you have a real good Earth.

Think of it this way:
    Electricity, like water likes to take the path of least resistance. A typical earth rod resistance to earth would be >100 ohms. Where as the parallel route for the fault current along the earth cable back to the star point of the transformer would be a fraction of this.
    Or by having both does it make an RCD more difficult to trip.
    No

Hi Lads, I've been reading this thread with interest as I and many Boarders have and want to light Sheds and Garages. I'm now a little confused as I think it failed to answer the basic question of whether you should or can use an Earth Rod to Earth the Garage Sub Board in conjunction with the Earth taken from the main House Board. Not being an Electrician I would have thought that all your doing is ensuring that you have a real good Earth. Or by having both does it make an RCD more difficult to trip. ?

Thanks.

No extra earth rod used in Ireland.

Thanks.

In the 3 core swa ran to the shed one of the cores is an earth also the steel armor is earthed and is used as the earth as well,

the earthing arangment will not affect the rcd tripping but will affect the mcb operating during a phase to earth fault

• Advertisement

Thanks Lads , So an Earth Rod should not be used unless special circumstances prevail.
    Reason if used it would increase the resistance making it more difficult for the MCB to trip.

Maxfresh wouldn't a Phase to Earth fault be a dead short and therefore should trip the MCB and the RCD. ?
    Also, can you have a Phase to Phase Fault, I'm sure you can.
    Just trying to understand for my own benefit. Thanks.

no the rod wouldn't affect mcb tripping on a 3-core supply used here(uk,2-wire that you referred to.yes) -but i don't believe additional rods are used here on 3-core sub-boards)

there's phase to phase shorts on 3 phase systems

you should hire an electrician to do the labour if you're concerned about safety-you can't train up by asking a few questions here

Thanks Lads , So an Earth Rod should not be used unless special circumstances prevail.
    Reason if used it would increase the resistance making it more difficult for the MCB to trip.
    It wont increase resistance. But in a neutralised installation, only 1 earth rod is used at the meter.
    Maxfresh wouldn't a Phase to Earth fault be a dead short and therefore should trip the MCB and the RCD. ?
    It will be a direct short in a neutralised installation. MCB should trip, and RCD if it is an RCD protected circuit.
    Also, can you have a Phase to Phase Fault, I'm sure you can.
    Just trying to understand for my own benefit. Thanks.
    Yes you can, which should trip all 3 phases if its a 3 phase MCB, or usually 2 fuses if it is a fuse protected circuit.

I wasn't asking the question for my Garage as it's built a long time ago. It was just that having followed the thread felt the ops question hadn't been answered in laymans terms. Which led me to the thought as to what was wrong with having 2 earth sources. And as they say knowledge is no load to carry. Thanks Lads

Advertisement