Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative modules instead of Erasmus Meeting?

Options
  • 04-02-2013 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

I've decided to do Alternative modules at the start of third year instead of Erasmus and my application is to be discussed at a Student Status Committee in the next couple of days. I'm wondering would anyone who has done it before be able to give me an idea of the general questions they ask you in this meeting and I'm wondering is it a one on one thing or a kind of group session thing? Thanks very much!:) (This is the first meeting by the way).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Hey, I went through this a few years ago, I'd imagine it's much the same now.
    When I had my meeting there was three UL people and me in the room - one was a lecturer on my course (I think this was just a coincidence, but it will be a lecturer from your faculty so chances are you will be somewhat familiar with them). The other two I think are part of UL administration.

They asked to explain why I felt like I should do alternative modules instead, and then asked me a few more questions around my reasons. If you have supplied information with your application form they will ask you about that. The meeting was pretty short, less than ten minutes I'd say. They don't delay as usually there's a large amount of students to get through.

I have to stress that everybody was really lovely to me (well one of them didn't speak at all, but my lecturer and the other person), they seemed genuinely sympathetic and understanding towards me. Do expect them to encourage you to still consider Erasmus though - they told me that they would love if I changed my mind and went.

Don't worry about it too much, as one of them said to me: the bottom line is they cannot force you to go if you really feel strongly that it is not for you for whatever reason.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more information!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

When I had my meeting there was three UL people and me in the room - one was a lecturer on my course (I think this was just a coincidence, but it will be a lecturer from your faculty so chances are you will be somewhat familiar with them). The other two I think are part of UL administration.

They asked to explain why I felt like I should do alternative modules instead, and then asked me a few more questions around my reasons. If you have supplied information with your application form they will ask you about that. The meeting was pretty short, less than ten minutes I'd say. They don't delay as usually there's a large amount of students to get through.

I have to stress that everybody was really lovely to me (well one of them didn't speak at all, but my lecturer and the other person), they seemed genuinely sympathetic and understanding towards me. Do expect them to encourage you to still consider Erasmus though - they told me that they would love if I changed my mind and went.

Don't worry about it too much, as one of them said to me: the bottom line is they cannot force you to go if you really feel strongly that it is not for you for whatever reason.

Thanks that very helpful!:) Just wanted someone's experience I haven't been told how it's gonna go down so to speak!:pac: Good to know they were nice as well hopefully that will make things a lot easier, I don't want to feel bad about not going on Erasmus! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

Do you mind me asking what faculty you were in? I know some courses are stricter than others, and I really don't want to go, but I know it's obligatory for mine. Are they really as strict about it as people say they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Do you mind me asking what faculty you were in? I know some courses are stricter than others, and I really don't want to go, but I know it's obligatory for mine. Are they really as strict about it as people say they are?

I know you weren't asking me, but I'll give my two cents. :) Well I'm in English and History and it was obligatory on my course, but I simply got the exemption form, filled it out with my own personal reasons and handed it in. I don't think they can refuse you as such as by the time they send you the letter telling you they've considered you for the exemption it's January, way past the date when you are told to decide where you want to go on Erasmus. You need to inform them though before the Erasmus forms have to be filled in (I think ours was the 31st of October).:)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

I know you weren't asking me, but I'll give my two cents. :) Well I'm in English and History and it was obligatory on my course, but I simply got the exemption form, filled it out with my own personal reasons and handed it in. I don't think they can refuse you as such as by the time they send you the letter telling you they've considered you for the exemption it's January, way past the date when you are told to decide where you want to go on Erasmus. You need to inform them though before the Erasmus forms have to be filled in (I think ours was the 31st of October).:)

Cheers for the reply. :D Taking into consideration that I'm on the same course, I shall quote Father Jack: "I'm a happy camper!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

since erasmus is pass/fail, if you do alternative modules, are these pass/fail also or do they affect your QCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    since erasmus is pass/fail, if you do alternative modules, are these pass/fail also or do they affect your QCA?

pass/fail

Advertisement