Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Records of Postmen

• 04-02-2013 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

According to John Grenham's 'Tracing your Irish Ancestors',( I have the 3rd edition), post office workers records are available in the British Postal Museum. Anyone know of any records here? I have checked NLI site and haven't seen anything related to postal staff records. Kinda want to know the area my postman may have worked in 1901, also when he joined and how long he was in the job.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't know the answer, Jellybaby1, but I'd start by calling the philatelic museum in the GPO in Dublin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'll try that Pinky, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

if I understand the process correctly, post office employees had to sit exams etc and their appointments/promotions were put in the London/Edinburgh Gazette.

Worth putting in the name and a date range and seeing if anything comes up

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

I managed to find a small amount of information about a Belfast postman who served in WW1 and was subsequently murdered by the RIC by using the London Gazette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

if I understand the process correctly, post office employees had to sit exams etc and their appointments/promotions were put in the London/Edinburgh Gazette.

Worth putting in the name and a date range and seeing if anything comes up

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

We had a thread on gazettes and mentioned the London Gazette here . A too-often ignored source of info.
    I have an ancestor who went into the PO appearing in it in 1913 - under exam results ' AFTER LIMITED COMPETITION. Male Learners ' and his local town was placed in brackets after his name.

Thanks Johnny and Pedro - will certainly give it a go. Never knew about this site.

P.S. Just did a search and found him. He is described as a 'male learner'. Really chuffed to find this, thanks guys.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    P.S. Just did a search and found him. He is described as a 'male learner'. Really chuffed to find this, thanks guys.

The 'Male Learner' role was more than a postman - that exam was more akin to the Civil Service entrance exams and was for people who were expected to move up the ladder. Open to correction on this but I believe the usual starting position was as a telegraphist.

My postman had died by the 1911 Census. I suppose that's the end of the story so. Thanks all for the info.

For Postal Service fans. My guy is in this photo - from being a 'Male Learner' he rose up the ranks, on one promotion TK Whittaker took his old job!

8492052534_ef29aaa6bc_z.jpg
    IFSMoneyOrder Ex Office by Pedro Eibar, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Not sure if it has been mentioned but ancestry.com has British Postal workers records. I found my g-grandfather's date of entry into the postal service in Dublin (1874) in there.

Advertisement