Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feckin Wood Chip Wallpaper!

• 04-02-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

As the titles suggest, I'v a wood-chip problem.

I've bought a old house, which has three rooms that consist of wood-chip walls and stipple ceilings - Yugh!

Any body who sees the wood-chip keeps saying "Good luck with getting that off"
    it seems like there are multiple coats of paint over the woodchip also.

So I'm looking for tips, advice,and suggestions:

Do I: peel it off, plaster over it...knock down the house and start again?

All advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Steamer and scrapper for the walls.

Get the ceiling skimmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,028 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It can actually be slightly easier to get off with the paint over it as it binds it in nice sections.

Rent an industrial steamer and have at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

McGilla wrote: »
    Hi All,

As the titles suggest, I'v a wood-chip problem.

I've bought a old house, which has three rooms that consist of wood-chip walls and stipple ceilings - Yugh!

Any body who sees the wood-chip keeps saying "Good luck with getting that off"
    it seems like there are multiple coats of paint over the woodchip also.

So I'm looking for tips, advice,and suggestions:

Do I: peel it off, plaster over it...knock down the house and start again?

All advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Buy yourself an Earlex steamer in Argos or any of the DIY Stores for 40-50 euro.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7112616/Trail/searchtext%3EEARLEX+STEAMER.htm

Get a set of wide blade scrapers in any euro 2 shop for 2 euro.

Use the steamer to remove the chip paper.

Hold the steamer on the chip paper for around 10 seconds and then scrape it off.

The steam penetrates the chip paper and lifts it from the plaster.

Dont hold the steamer on for too long as you will blow/pop the plaster off the wall.

If there is several layers of paint or chip paper,then use a stanley knife to score the surface of the chip paper in an X-Pattern so that the steam get right into it.;)

Use Febond on the stippled ceilings and reskim them smooth.

You can use the steamer on the stipple,,,but it takes more time and effort to remove the stipple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

As paddy says just steam it off. The Argos steamer works grand for this too.

You can even steam the stipple off the ceiling, but the ceiling might need a lot of filling or a re skim afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

I got a plasterer to plaster over wood chip paper about 20 years ago. Had bought a 4 bedroom house in London and hadn't too much left over for updating. First of all I removed all the skirting boards and architraves. The guy pulled off the loose bits of paper and cut out the internal angles with a trimming knife. He then rolled on a mixture of PVA/WATER, one to three parts on all the walls on day 1. On day 2 he again rolled on the same mixture as in the previous day, fitted corner beads and put jute scrim in the internal corners. On day 3 he rolled on the mixture on two walls at a time then plastered them with BONDING PLASTER. Skimming them the following day. The whole house took 13 days to do. Sold it to my brother-in-law in 2008. He repainted it the same year and the walls are like new.

• Advertisement
Advertisement