Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LeapFrog Leapster GS Explorer - €34.80 Delivered

• 04-02-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

Reduced from £64.99 to £22.75. I didn't look elsewhere to see if it was available for the same price, but i guess this is a very good price for it. Especially if you have a kids birthday coming up..

LeapFrog Leapster GS Explorer (Green)

U7FS4QH.jpg?1
    Product Features

• LeapsterGS Explorer delivers high-quality gaming and fast-paced action in a kid-tough design
    • Snap videos or pictures with the built-in camera and video, and keep your favorites handy with 2 GB of memory
    • Control the action in games with motion-based play and record your own voice with a built-in microphone
    • Children ages 4 to 9 can explore a library of more than 300 LeapFrog Explorer™ downloadable apps and games
    • What's included: LeapsterGS - parent guide, USB cable, stylus and 3 extra apps

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

They have in pink too I see.

My eldest daughter will be three in sept, kinda tempted, just think she'd be a bit young for these?

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

SamHall wrote: »

My eldest daughter will be three in sept, kinda tempted, just think she'd be a bit young for these?

Anyone?

3 is about right really kids seem to have moved on by 5. Games are expensive so lots of people are getting android tablets for their kids where games are free to a few cent to a couple of euro.

SamHall wrote: »

Anyone?

I'd say go for it. DD is here at the moment having a great time with the Leappad 2. Santa brought a Disney Princess one and a huge amount of use has been knocked out of it since Christmas. She was 3 just before Christmas. HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aidole

Thanks just ordered the pink one for my daughter, she will be 3 in May. I ordered some cookie cutters for £2 so got free delivery too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Thanks OP. Just ordered one got my sons birthday next month. There were some concerns on the Amazon reviews about the cost of games, but I found quite z few on eBay for very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

A secondhand generic Chinese tablet on adverts would be a better option.

False economy buying a cheap unit and pricey games. Should spend a bit extra on the tablet and have really cheap games.

IMHO like, and not knocking the op.

Soarer wrote: »

False economy buying a cheap unit and pricey games. Should spend a bit extra on the tablet and have really cheap games.

Maybe, until it gets dropped. At least this is battle hardened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Soarer wrote: »

Kind of a different market. Games on these types of devices (leapad etc) tend to much more focused at learning and education than your average tablet games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Have to say I had an older version of that and think its great.ita toddler proff. It can be dropped sat on and was tantrum resistant everything a tablets not .
    My baby is only 1 but when she turns 3 ill be getting her one .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

BostonB wrote: »
    Kind of a different market. Games on these types of devices (leapad etc) tend to much more focused at learning and education than your average tablet games.

That's what they promote but Googles Play Store have a far greater variety & quality for free or for a few euro with more been added daily.
    My son had one of these, spent all the time playing his mothers smartphone instead.
    The screen is poor & games look dated on the LeapPad, big releases cost €25 each.
    Get a decent spec Chinese Generic Tablet running Android 4.0 or higher, there's no other decision to be made here.

• Advertisement

You're kinda missing the point. Any kid will prefer playing angry birds over a game that requires working out letters or maths to proceed. That is the point of these titles. As an aside, not everyone wants to hand a €500 smart phone to a 3yr old to play games. or €200 tablet either. Or have the hassle of locking it down so their access is limited.

I expect most kids have access to another smart devices. So its probably not an either or decision here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

got one after much deliberation. Son is 3 later in the year. nice birthday present :)

You're kinda missing the point. Any kid will prefer playing angry birds over a game that requires working out letters or maths to proceed. That is the point of these titles.

Free kids spelling games for Android
    https://play.google.com/store/search?q=spelling+games+for+kids&c=apps
    Free maths games for kids
    https://play.google.com/store/search?q=maths+games+for+kids&c=apps
    Memory games for kids
    https://play.google.com/store/search?q=memory+games+for+kids&c=apps
    Repeat ad infinitum.

As an aside, not everyone wants to hand a €500 smart phone to a 3yr old to play games. or €200 tablet either. Or have the hassle of locking it down so their access is limited.

€200 for a tablet ???, maybe if you're an Samsung/Apple fanboy.
    About €70 would get you a perfectly functioning one from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_36_2?rh=n%3A340831031%2Cn%3A!340832031%2Cn%3A429892031%2Ck%3A7%22+tablet%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A1828090031%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A2088162031\c1027154031%2Cp_72%3A419153031%2Cp_36%3A428446031&bbn=429892031&sort=price&keywords=7%22+tablet&ie=UTF8&qid=1360244853&rnid=428432031

My son has one of these & it's a perfect, couldn't recommend it higher
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/CloudNine-Simplicity-Capacitive-Allwinner-Processor/dp/B00836RWEU/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1360244896&sr=1-7

If you are someone who believes the marketing speel for the LeapPad then there's no stopping you, go ahead, we'll see it on adverts before Christmas.

You can't buy a Apple tablet device for 200 new. I picked 200 because in my limited experience that's the price point at which you get into dual core, decent screen response and out of the box access to regular app store. If you're happy with something at lower price point, great. But I think many people would be disappointed with them. No need for the fanboy and speel jibes at all.

Give the kids a device with both educational games and other games and they'll play the other stuff. Give them a limited device and they can only play those games you want them to play.

In my experience of Apple/Android and other devices its quite hard to limit access to them to filter content suitable for the age group. They tend to be all on or all off. So its quite handy to have a couple of devices with varying access limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

my 2 year old has the old immotab, she loves , ive never bought a game for it, just the built in ones

Rabidlamb wrote: »

€200 for a tablet ???, maybe if you're an Samsung/Apple fanboy.
    About €70 would get you a perfectly functioning one from Amazon

If you are someone who believes the marketing speel for the LeapPad then there's no stopping you, go ahead, we'll see it on adverts before Christmas.

So you're saying to spend twice the price on a cheapo Chinese table to save a few quid on games? The leap pad games are available cheaply on eBay and I'd say they are of a higher quality than free android games. Most are free because they are cut down versions or have in-app purchasing.

Judging by some of the reviews, the android tablets won't be on adverts because they will be bricked within a few weeks.

You can't buy a Apple tablet device for 200 new. I picked 200 because in my limited experience that's the price point at which you get into dual core, decent screen response and out of the box access to regular app store. If you're happy with something at lower price point, great. But I think many people would be disappointed with them. No need for the fanboy and speel jibes at all.

Give the kids a device with both educational games and other games and they'll play the other stuff. Give them a limited device and they can only play those games you want them to play.

In my experience of Apple/Android and other devices its quite hard to limit access to them to filter content suitable for the age group. They tend to be all on or all off. So its quite handy to have a couple of devices with varying access limitations.
    stimpson wrote: »
    So you're saying to spend twice the price on a cheapo Chinese table to save a few quid on games? The leap pad games are available cheaply on eBay and I'd say they are of a higher quality than free android games. Most are free because they are cut down versions or have in-app purchasing.

Judging by some of the reviews, the android tablets won't be on adverts because they will be bricked within a few weeks.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
    I come at this as someone who does a sideline in PC/Laptop repair, the local computer guy.
    I get requests from people who cannot use the Playstore or install an apk. They just want the top ten games preloaded for their kid at Christmas.
    Yes, 2 years ago their was some real Chinese muck out there, running Android 1.6, needing a stylus, no playstore, crappy apps, awful, iRobot ring any bells.
    The batch I saw this Christmas were a different world.
    Sleek, responsive, HD screens, Android 4.0 or higher across the board & all fully recognised by the playstore.
    The top paid apps are €3 at most, I don't think the LeapPad games are anywhere near that low.

Another thing colouring my judgement here is that Santy brought my son a LeapPad explorer in 2011 that ended up for sale in 2012.
    http://www.adverts.ie/educational-toys/leap-frog-leap-pad-explorer/2243708
    He got a year out of it but in truth it spent the last 6 months in a box before it was sold.
    We spent big money on a few games (see the ones listed) but he got bored too easily & would revert cBeebies free online games.
    The tablet games keep him far more engaged & as the range is infinite there's always a new one to try.
    Plus I can put eBooks & TV Episodes on the Tablet & use the browser myself if I want a bigger screen than my phone.

All these things are subjective anyway, if you & your child are happy that's all that matters.

You're really just confirming that kids will spend most of their time on a tablet playing the post popular games and popular mass media, rather looking at educational games. My point is not everyone wants that for their younger kids.

My only point really is something like these learning devices are not comparable to tablets. if you want a tablet, there's other threads for that. This thread is for a bargain on specific "different" product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Frank11

Did anybody get this? I cannot get the two battery covers off!! I sent one back and the second came yesterday and same thing.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

My only point really is something like these learning devices are not comparable to tablets.

Nonsense, speaking as someone who has a published a large part of research based on mobile learning....
    These "learning devices" are a complete and utter waste of money.

Any of the 40 euro android tablets on display in this forum would be exponentially better than one of these... and have many thousands of cheaper and better quality mLearning or elearning applications!

You can argue that the price of this product is a bargin in relation to other similiar products... but please don't argue that it results in better learning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

You're really just confirming that kids will spend most of their time on a tablet playing the post popular games and popular mass media, rather looking at educational games. My point is not everyone wants that for their younger kids.

My only point really is something like these learning devices are not comparable to tablets. if you want a tablet, there's other threads for that. This thread is for a bargain on specific "different" product.

stick an app like this and you can control exactly what the kids have access to.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kiddoware.kidsplace&hl=en

The interweb agrees:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/how-to-make-android-child-friendly-1045708

deegs wrote: »
    Nonsense, speaking as someone who has a published a large part of research based on mobile learning....
    These "learning devices" are a complete and utter waste of money.

Any of the 40 euro android tablets on display in this forum would be exponentially better than one of these... and have many thousands of cheaper and better quality mLearning or elearning applications!

You can argue that the price of this product is a bargin in relation to other similiar products... but please don't argue that it results in better learning...

I don't think I made any point about them offering "better learning". I said they were a different product and you've essentially just agreed with me, by giving the different experience a tablet offers.

Scruff wrote: »

Did you read that...
    ...it's now time to do the same for internet and phone access. You could just go into Settings, disable the networks and wireless, but there's no guarantee things won't get turned back on by accident...
    ...If you do want to allow internet browsing the bad news is that options are limited for site filtering...
    ....Unfortunately there is no comprehensive website filter or blocking tool. We'd have liked a blanket ban and a system to white list only our chosen sites. If you know one let us know. You can implement filtering via Wi-Fi routers and Android does have firewalls but these tend to only work on rooted devices....

Besides my point was people might not want the hassle of all that. Not that you can't do it. ...Eventually...

deegs wrote: »

What apps would you recommend for a 4 year old?

Scruff wrote: »

I followed every step here when I gave the 40 euro tablet to my daughter (except the profiles...)
    It all works a treat!

stimpson wrote: »
    What apps would you recommend for a 4 year old?

Depends on the child... some kids will like language apps (like dora etc.) others like flashcards for spelling.
    Even younger kids will like flashcards that help with sounds and vocab.
    Some good perry the platypus and puzzle games for problem solving etc...

It also depends on your childs experience with the technology. If unexperienced some games like angry birds will teach spacial recognition, reading, rewards and menu structure. Once familiar with mobile gaming they could use brain trainers like brain trainer lite etc?

Too many to list but the main thing is to do do your own research and try them out. E.g. you may get 5 or ten apps and find none suit your needs and get another 10.
    The problem with leapfrogs etc. is that parents will want a return on their investment and if the kid doesn't enjoy it they wont use it... parents then feel that this is normal and force the kid to use it....

Google is your friend for more general info
    https://www.google.com/search?q=learning+apps+for+a+toddler

For example, look at the key findings here
    http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2012/01/explosive-growth-in-education-apps/

PS at approx 600g this is fairly heavy for a child to hold for long periods a 40eurp table is less than half the weight and far more ergonomic for young and physically developing kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Did you read that...

Besides my point was people might not want the hassle of all that. Not that you can't do it. ...Eventually...

yes but go install the App i linked to, Kids Place or just read its list of features. It can completely lock down your tablets internet connection, restart on reboot of the device and you choose what app your child can access.
    The article i linked to is over a year old, a lot changes in software in a year.

I have it installed on my tablet for my young lad to use and i'm might impressed with it. However each to their own. if people are more comfortable with buying a device like a Leapfrog then good for them and hope they are happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Frank11 wrote: »
    Did anybody get this? I cannot get the two battery covers off!! I sent one back and the second came yesterday and same thing.........

Yes Frank an hour and half it took me with alot of cursing involved. In the end i got a flat head screwdriver with some masking tape on it and press down where the arrows are on the cover, it popped out for me.

• Advertisement

To disable the browser wouldn't it be easier go into the Wifi settings & "forget" the connection.
    Once your kid doesn't know your WEP or WPA password you're sorted.

When they're older & know what 192.168.0.1 means then you can look at filtering.

I my experience the issue with these things (indeed all devices with multiple users) is when you enable it for yourself then forget to turn it off, when you put it down, walk away. Which is why you need user profiles with time outs. Which is whats lacking on all these things, from smart TV's, mobiles, tablets, consoles etc. Or you need separate devices for each user. Which doesn't work for shared devices.

Advertisement