Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redevelopment starting at Dollymount House, Clontarf?

Options
  • 04-02-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭

Anyone noticed that site offices have gone into the car park of the old Ballymount house?

I heard a rumour that the developer is going ahead with the approved plans to build 60 apartments, which would be a brave move at this time!

I recall the premises sold in 2006 for a reputed €13 million, And I remember being astonished that such a busy pub was closed overnight.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Yer man Leo Fitzgerald sold when the going was good...i persoanlly hayted the place..overpriced food and rude staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

frankosw wrote: »
    Yer man Leo Fitzgerald sold when the going was good...i persoanlly hayted the place..overpriced food and rude staff.

i agree about the staff but the food was great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Was it Dollymount House that opened a creche on weekends in its last few months? It was one of the pubs around there anyway, you could park your kids in the creche and get rat-arsed (and well fed!), a novel idea, shame it didn't take off:D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

Brave move to start builing apts in this day and age. But saying that the sea view & location would see them sell no problem if decent value.

Would love to see it made into a pub again. That part of Clontarf/Dollymount is badly lacking a pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Ray von wrote: »
    Brave move to start builing apts in this day and age. But saying that the sea view & location would see them sell no problem if decent value.

Would love to see it made into a pub again. That part of Clontarf/Dollymount is badly lacking a pub.

There's always the Pebble Beach a ten minute walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I quite liked the pub, plenty of space in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'd love to see the Dollyer reopen, I miss it. I highly doubt that MKN are going to go ahead with the apartments now. They already have a load of empty apartments in Raheny and other areas not so far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Loved their scampi.

remember the smoking room being a conservatory slap bang in the middle of the pub right beside the carvery

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

They apartments are going up after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

remember the smoking room being a conservatory slap bang in the middle of the pub right beside the carvery

Ha, I think The Goose in Drumcondra still has a similar set up - so does the A1 in Artane in their upstairs bar

Well, it's all happening, the nom-nom diggers are pulling Dollymount House down as I type. I took a few photos for posterity:

244544.jpg
    244545.jpg
    244547.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Sad to see it being torn down, I've a lot of memories from there :(

sad to see, it was a great pub

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Meh, about time to be honest. Better it gone than another derelict building.
    So is the original development plan going ahead after it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

sad to see, it was a great pub

Great pub with so many memories for so many people. Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Used to love going there as a kid, many good memories. It's sad to see it come down but I'd rather something there than a derelict building.

Are the original plans going ahead? Apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

This is the planning application for "Demolition of existing public house & construction of 66 apartments in 3 blocks"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

mambo wrote: »
    This is the planning application for "Demolition of existing public house & construction of 66 apartments in 3 blocks"

just whats needed in Dublin, more apartments. Though theres a good few conditions on it

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Perfect Ring

I'd say there could be demand for apartments as its such a great location.

• Advertisement

I'd say there could be demand for apartments as its such a great location.

Cripes I am not so sure, look at the Sheiling Hotel development up the road, finished a couple of years now, lying empty.

I reckon we are in the 'post-apartment era', buyers want houses now not apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

deandean wrote: »
    Cripes I am not so sure, look at the Sheiling Hotel development up the road, finished a couple of years now, lying empty

Is it? I haven't had a proper look in a while... looks nice from what I can gather.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Is it? I haven't had a proper look in a while... looks nice from what I can gather.

Yea Sheiling Square is a fine looking development in fairness. I don't know if it's being actively marketed at the moment. Here's a linky to a local who has a few good photographs of the finished site.
    http://www.photopol.com/sheiling/finished_product.html

A mate of mine is back from Switzerland where apartment living is common, he despairs at the standards here. His apartment complex had:
    - A storage room downstairs for each apt
    - A party room that you could book for your kid's birthday party
    - A pram room at groundfloor level
    - A car wash area
    - etc etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Its a good location for Apts in farness.Used to love that pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

neris wrote: »
    just whats needed in Dublin, more apartments. Though theres a good few conditions on it

Probably not a bad time to start as it will take a couple of years to build(things should be a little better than they are now) and Clontarf is one of the few areas that property has actually increased in value in the last year. A mate of mine was actually in a bidding war for a property in Clontarf just after Christmas...crazy I know but it happened

Advertisement