Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright and Quoting Refresher

Options
  • 04-02-2013 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

Any chance you could send out a refresher to mods on the Boards rule on quoting from News articles? It get's worrying when you keep finding posts by mods that break the boards rule. Some don't even bother to use the Quote brackets, they just lifted the entire post from a news site and pasted it with a link to source material. What's the point in having a Quote Tab on the tool bar then?

Before anyone says it I have reported all the posts but it gets a little depressing that the guys that should know better keep breaking the rule. How can you expect them to enforce the rule on the plebs when some don't seem to grasp it themselves.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Any chance you could send out a refresher to mods on the Boards rule on quoting from News articles? It get's worrying when you keep finding posts by mods that break the boards rule. Some don't even bother to use the Quote brackets, they just lifted the entire post from a news site and pasted it with a link to source material. What's the point in having a Quote Tab on the tool bar then?
    To be able to qoute users and make it easy to see which user said what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Nody wrote: »
    To be able to qoute users and make it easy to see which user said what?

And to be able to highlight quotes from outside of Boards such as Articles etc But some posters have stopped using them, maybe it's just easier not to or by not using them it doesn't draw attention that the post is above the Copyright rule. We know having the entire article in the post has more impact than one line or paragraph and a link that many bother not to click on. Here is an example of total failure to use a quote

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056871876

I reported the post so hopefully it will be acted on shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Why would it need to be acted on?
    Surely it's clear that the post comes from the article, and the source has been referenced. Is that not enough?
    What else would quote tags add to the post?
    Nobody is claiming the article as their own.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Why would it need to be acted on?
    Surely it's clear that the post comes from the article, and the source has been referenced. Is that not enough?
    What else would quote tags add to the post?
    Nobody is claiming the article as their own.

Because it's site policy to stop us getting sued:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77390771

Sherlock and his mistakes haven't gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Spear wrote: »

Because it's site policy to stop us getting sued:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77390771

Sherlock and his mistakes haven't gone away.

I realise that but the point I was making was about the OP referring to adding quote tags.
    Adding quote tags isn't necessary as long as the original source is referenced.
    I know that copy and pasting an entire article is supposed to be against the rules. It was just the quote tags I was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I realise that but the point I was making was about the OP referring to adding quote tags.
    Adding quote tags isn't necessary as long as the original source is referenced.
    I know that copy and pasting an entire article is supposed to be against the rules. It was just the quote tags I was talking about.

Because I have been pulled up in the past for not using quote tags by Mods. I assumed that using quote tags is good practice at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's really annoying lately when users keep messing up quote tags

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It's really annoying lately when users keep messing up quote tags[/QUOTE
    It could happen pretty easily to someone who is not tech savvy, I think you're being a wee bit harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Where To wrote: »
    It's really annoying lately when users keep messing up quote tags
    It could happen pretty easily to someone who is not tech savvy, I think you're being a wee bit harsh.

I don't think so

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It's more annoying when posters start a thread with an obscure thread title, link an article and don't bother to add anything themselves.

Title: Wow that's interesting!

Link: ........

Comment: lol:pac:

For example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056874819

• Advertisement
Advertisement