Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Railway Journeys - Waterford Features Tomorrow

• 04-02-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭

Great British Railway Journeys Goes To Ireland featuring the Waterford and Suir Valley Railway starts tonight on BBC2 at 6.30pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its Kerry tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Mon 4th: Killarney to Cobh
    Tue 5th: Charleville to Waterford
    Wed 6th: Kilkenny to Athy
    Thu 7th: Newbridge to Roscrea
    Fri 8th: Athlone to Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It's on the same time as Home and Away.
    Looks like I'm gonna miss the train show so! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've amended it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Its a great little programme I have watched it for a few years, worth watching for Portillos choice of shirts and jackets alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭deisemum

I like Portillo and voted for him back in the 80's. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭decies

Is it on the BBC I player ??

I missed the bloody thing , know the train driver in Waterford . Can watch it on my I phone on I player via VPN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Waterford didnt feature for very long and the whole program looked like it was made by Bord Failte, although Waterford did look good in it.

• Advertisement

They showed the suir valley railway nice to see sun shining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

well done to all -- Suir Vally Railway is a little gem

Looked lovely, I like the idea as mentioned in the programme to extend the line onto the south quays, the station should be by the Clock Tower.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

mike65 wrote: »
    Looked lovely, I like the idea as mentioned in the programme to extend the line onto the south quays, the station should be by the Clock Tower.
    How exactly woukld the line get to the quay from Billberry? Would it run along the road like the Luas?

How does any railway line get from a to b in urban areas? On a track! The number of train
    movements in a given day would be quite small and with the "de-caring" of the quays now a policy I see no reason it can't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

mike65 wrote: »
    How does any railway line get from a to b in urban areas? On a track! The number of train
    movements in a given day would be quite small and with the "de-caring" of the quays now a policy I see no reason it can't work.

Thats a bit of a facetious answer to a fair, practical question.

The road gets really narrow where the cliffs jut out where the traveller camp is, there's barely room for two lanes of traffic let alone a rail line. They'd either have to build out into the river or stick a tunnel through the rocks and demolish the traveller camp (+1 for that idea I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

The tracks can't go under the little bridge any more either cos of the estate at the other side of it now either. Suppose it wouldn't be difficult to just move it towards te river side though anyway. Pity, love those little old stone bridges.

There's no money for such an ambitious extension anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

decies wrote: »
    I missed the bloody thing , know the train driver in Waterford . Can watch it on my I phone on I player via VPN.
    http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/8127976/BBC_Great_British_Railway_Journeys_Series4_22of25_Charleville_to

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭The Reamer

Beeker wrote: »
    How exactly woukld the line get to the quay from Billberry? Would it run along the road like the Luas?

The answer is that it won't. There was talk of extending it up to grattan quay but they neglected to mention the houses built on the trackbed just this side of the bridge in bilberry.
    Even if that was not in the way, the furthest it could get is up to Grattan Quay. Crossing the main road at the bridge and running doen the quay would be a major project that would cost millions for installing infrastructure. A fully automated LC would be required at Rice Bridge. To add to that the current WSVR rolling stock is not suitable for that type of thing as 1) it has no control/signalling equipment 2) it is not suitable for use in a pediestrianised area as it would not meet safety standard which would be required for trams like the LUAS. To upgrade to WSVR to the required standard would be well into the € millions and frankly, an idiotic waste of money that would never pay for itself, probably go broke and end up laying idle rusting away.

Modern rail safety standards do not allow Titfield Thunderbolt type outfits.

Mark my words, these suggestions are all sh!te talk by the WSVR to get more donations. It'll never happen.

Shure the track is already complete down as far as Bilberry but the train don't go any farther than Gracedieu Jnc as the drivers are complaining about the distance of the trip.

The WSVR is little more than a fairground ride, it's not a proper heritage railway. In fact all their stock is new and they have nothing of any heritage value there. The place is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Why doesn't it just go to the old foundry site? Build a set up like Kilmeaden there? Not much extra track required or anything.

The Reamer wrote: »
    The answer is that it won't. There was talk of extending it up to grattan quay but they neglected to mention the houses built on the trackbed just this side of the bridge in bilberry.
    Even if that was not in the way, the furthest it could get is up to Grattan Quay. Crossing the main road at the bridge and running doen the quay would be a major project that would cost millions for installing infrastructure. A fully automated LC would be required at Rice Bridge. To add to that the current WSVR rolling stock is not suitable for that type of thing as 1) it has no control/signalling equipment 2) it is not suitable for use in a pediestrianised area as it would not meet safety standard which would be required for trams like the LUAS. To upgrade to WSVR to the required standard would be well into the € millions and frankly, an idiotic waste of money that would never pay for itself, probably go broke and end up laying idle rusting away.

Mark my words, these suggestions are all sh!te talk by the WSVR to get more donations. It'll never happen.

Shure the track is already complete down as far as Bilberry but the train don't go any farther than Gracedieu Jnc as the drivers are complaining about the distance of the trip.

The WSVR is little more than a fairground ride, it's not a proper heritage railway. In fact all their stock is new and they have nothing of any heritage value there. The place is a joke.

Well hats off to you Sir! Did your child not have a good time or something?

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭The Reamer

Why doesn't it just go to the old foundry site? Build a set up like Kilmeaden there? Not much extra track required or anything.

That's the problem. It cannot go any further than the Bridge at bilberry because houses are built at the other side of the bridge blocking access onwards to the old foundry site and everthing beyond that.

A new alignment would be out of the question given the topography alone, let alone cost.

I can see the sparks flying off your axe there Reamer, bit of history behind those comments I'd say as according to you there is not one positive thing in WSVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

Oh thats really positive isn't it? Whether you love or hate the people involved, its providing a fun service, and a tourist attraction to that region of Waterford. If it manages to get even 20 extra people a week into the region (and it gets a heck of a lot more) its worthwhile. I think they do a great job, provide a great service and are nice folk, and I don't give a rats ass how old their engines are - they are running along the original train line, so call me simple and easily pleased, but thats good enough for me.

I could refute a lot of what Reamer says but I think the guy/gal is not for changing and I have no intention of playing ping pong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

iphonehead wrote: »
    Oh thats really positive isn't it? Whether you love or hate the people involved, its providing a fun service, and a tourist attraction to that region of Waterford. If it manages to get even 20 extra people a week into the region (and it gets a heck of a lot more) its worthwhile. I think they do a great job, provide a great service and are nice folk, and I don't give a rats ass how old their engines are - they are running along the original train line, so call me simple and easily pleased, but thats good enough for me.

Not knocking the people involved in the railway but the one thing he's right about is the engine, its a bit underwhelming to look at.

I wonder how much a second hand QJ from China would cost, ok it might be just a tad OTT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The line is indeed along the route of the old line, but it's been alter to narrow gauge.

The locos aren't new, they're ex Bord Na Mona, I believe.

But there's nothing wrong with that; I think it's a shame they don't go the full length of the line though. Just stopping in the middle of nowhere and then reversing back is silly.

Michael Portillo said he was going to get off at Bilberry - artistic licence there I guess.

I think they should construct a station at Bilberry, with a cafe and souvenir shop, and have the train wait there for 10 mins or so before returning.

A.

All the engines but 1 are ex bord na Mona, the journey to Billberry is too long, peoples attention span is about forty minutes , it is over 70 minutes to do Bilberry and back hence the trip now goes to the Toll bridge and back.
    If Reamer had a look at the City Council plans for the Bilberry area he will see how the train can get to Grattan Quay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

But if there was a shop, cafe etc at Bilberry, incl a car park etc, people could wait there until the next train, or actually use the railway to make a journey from Kilmeaden to Waterford.

I'm not sure about peoples' attention span, it depends what they're doing. At the moment I think its a bit of an anticlimax to have the train stop midway and then reverse back the way you've come.

Run two trains in opposite directions! All that's needed is a passing loop halfway, perhaps with a halt so people can change to the opposite train if they wish!

A

Advertisement