Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2013 Spending money

Options
  • 04-02-2013 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hello all! I just wanted to ask a quick question to try get some views and opinions on how much spending money to bring to Canada when moving over on the 1 year IEC visa. I have the visa and must enter Canada by mid-April this year before it expires. Things have come up here as they do and my savings aren't as great as I had hoped.

My main question is, do you guys think entering Canada with between 2200-2500 euros (about 3000 dollars) would be sufficient to get set up? Flights paid for already. I'd be going to Vancouver, hoping to start looking for work fairly quickly.

Has anyone got experience of bringing this much with them or a lower amount?

Thanks for any thoughts! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

mate i am hopeing to have 4.5k$ i am bringing 1k with me. the rest i am going to transfer i would advise you set up an account with https://www.currencyfair.com/ they give you the best rate at now you will get for 1 euro 1.35$ where the bank will only give you 1.31$ so currency fair is by far the best:D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

Ill only be going with that amount after flights too but I think if you hussle when u arrive and get work and apartment sorted you'll be fine!! Especially if you're willing to work anywhere to begin with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Cheers lads.. Yeah I think it's enough anyway, looking up jobs sites and judging by it it looks as if there's a fair few jobs going across all sectors. Something in a shop, bar, kitchen etc would be fine to start! I've family up in Prince George BC so might look into the possibility of staying there initially and looking for work there to get set up.. When you hoping to go flynnser19?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

Thinking of going in may or start of June!!!i wish the visa process was over and I could book flights already!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

flynnser19 wrote: »
    Thinking of going in may or start of June!!!i wish the visa process was over and I could book flights already!!!

booking flights in the next week or two as there is a saving to be made.

also i expect(hope) that there shouldn't be an issue. i think its worth tsking a chance as there could be a saving of up to 100-150 by getting in early with a booking

i will have about $4.5k going to toronto but still worried about having enough with rent and getting job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Im the same hopefully have about 4 to 5 grand going over . Going to toronto and hopefully stay with my godmother for a bit. So gonna try get a job asap so i can get an appartment etc

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

booking flights in the next week or two as there is a saving to be made.

also i expect(hope) that there shouldn't be an issue. i think its worth tsking a chance as there could be a saving of up to 100-150 by getting in early with a booking

i will have about $4.5k going to toronto but still worried about having enough with rent and getting job.

That's loads of money anyway pal, I'll be on half that roughly, but I'm fairly certain I'll get a job quick.. Are you heading over alone or with mates? Who you booking flights with? I had a look on a few sites, seems to be deals to Vancouver around 570 or so return...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

djor88 wrote: »

That's loads of money anyway pal, I'll be on half that roughly, but I'm fairly certain I'll get a job quick.. Are you heading over alone or with mates? Who you booking flights with? I had a look on a few sites, seems to be deals to Vancouver around 570 or so return...

There is 5 of us heading over. Heading to Toronto. Been looking at budgetair.ie and it looks pretty good value. Who are you booking with. I am hoping to get a job quick enough and will be putting my cv into all the agency's. just a bit paranoid I'll struggle to get a job I want and end up getting something not too suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Check skyscanner for cheap flights

Advertisement