Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman wanted 38k for stumbling and almost falling

Options
  • 04-02-2013 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Court in sensible judgement shocker? Clumsy person needs compensation because they *almost* fell in someone elses premises?
    A WOMAN, who was three months pregnant when she stumbled and almost fell in a Dunnes Store restaurant, has lost a €38,000 damages claim for personal injuries against the retail chain.

Ms Keenan, of Annamoe Drive, Cabra, Dublin, said she had not seen anything on the floor before her slip and did not know what had caused it. She had scalded her leg and had injured her back when twisting to save herself.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/pregnant-woman-who-almost-fell-in-dunnes-stores-loses-38k-claim-3376738.html
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Women!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

Fool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I'm not a fan of compo culture but how was she clumsy? If she slipped, she slipped. I'd imagine it was quite distressing for her to scald herself and twist her back when pregnant.
    I certainly wouldn't agree with a big payout like that, but I've heard of worse compo claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

It's beyond me how any lawyer actually allowed her to even attempt to take that to court given that she had no evidence of the floor being wet or unsafe in anyway. If she was trying to claim the floor was wet then that would be one thing, but it doesn't seem that she was even making that claim :confused:

Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Have you been affected by issues raised in this thread?

Been a clumsy buffoon and injured yourself?

Looking for someone to blame?

Phone Clumsy Buffoons R Us Lawyers NOW

We can make you feel better about your stupidity and give a shot at some free cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

moron, shes made a right fool of herself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Hhmmmm albeit outlandish excessive costs in question; - considering that hot liquid being carried was involved here, it does rightfully deserve a thorough investigation to ensure a rightful lesson is learned where necessary. How was the judge so convinced that the floor was dry?

Actually, shure, wouldn't/shouldn't they have exactly what happened on CCTV? That should be a definitive yes or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Madam_X wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of compo culture but how was she clumsy? If she slipped, she slipped. I'd imagine it was quite distressing for her to scald herself and twist her back when pregnant.
    I certainly wouldn't agree with a big payout like that, but I've heard of worse compo claims.

Seriously?

There was nothing on the floor before she stumbled. Why blame the store, and seek compo when it could easily have been her own sense of balance was off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

BBDBB wrote: »
    Have you been affected by issues raised in this thread?

Been a clumsy buffoon and injured yourself?

Looking for someone to blame?

Phone Clumsy Buffoons R Us Lawyers NOW

We can make you feel better about your stupidity and give a shot at some free cash

Yes.

Yes.

and yes again...

where the fcuk is the number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

she should have just walked in to a sign, amateur :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

Hhmmmm albeit outlandish excessive costs in question; - considering that hot liquid being carried was involved here, it does rightfully deserve a thorough investigation to ensure a rightful lesson is learned where necessary. How was the judge so convinced that the floor was dry?

Actually, shure, wouldn't/shouldn't they have exactly what happened on CCTV? That should be a definitive yes or no.

Perhaps an outright ban on the sale of warm beverages is the answer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Hhmmmm albeit outlandish excessive costs in question; - considering that hot liquid being carried was involved here, it does rightfully deserve a thorough investigation to ensure a rightful lesson is learned where necessary.

What lesson would that be, stop pretending you can multi-task? Walking and carrying something is not for everybody kids!

I was in 2 places lately where there was zero signage up where floors were wet, there is still a need out there to be more vigilant and ahead-of-the-posse with things such as wet floors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

If she slipped, she slipped.

Yeah, and it was an accident. No-one's fault, so why in God's name should she think she was entitled to 38 grand in compensation? Or even 38 quid.

Sometimes people just fall. Most normal people get back up, go "Oops, silly me," and get on with their lives. Just cause she happened to be carrying a hot drink at the time doesn't make it any different.

I fell up the stairs in work before while carrying a mug of tea. Did I sue them? No, because it was a blinkin' accident. I scalded the arm off myself, but I shouldn't have been carrying a hot drink up the stairs in the first place.

Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

I'm not a fan of compo culture but how was she clumsy?

She slipped on nothing. The floor wasn't wet, nor did she stand on anything. If that's not clumsy, what is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

What a joke. I tell ya if she got that money I'd be "almost falling" everywhere!

harney wrote: »
    What lesson would that be, stop pretending you can multi-task? Walking and carrying something is not for everybody kids!

Do I really have to write another post to explain?! Really?! Lesson being that hot scalding liquid may be lethal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus, a "girls day" out in the Dunne's canteen? Not exactly Sex and City is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Drake66 wrote: »
    Perhaps an outright ban on the sale of warm beverages is the answer ;)

Well caffeine is an addictive substance, was it hers or her sisters coffee does any body know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Yeah, and it was an accident. No-one's fault, so why in God's name should she think she was entitled to 38 grand in compensation? Or even 38 quid.

Sometimes people just fall. Most normal people get back up, go "Oops, silly me," and get on with their lives. Just cause she happened to be carrying a hot drink at the time doesn't make it any different.

I fell up the stairs in work before while carrying a mug of tea. Did I sue them? No, because it was a blinkin' accident. I scalded the arm off myself, but I shouldn't have been carrying a hot drink up the stairs in the first place.

Simple as.

I mean this in the kindest possible way, but, you fool!

PM this poster immediately http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83048926&postcount=6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

There was no culpability of the restaurant.
    So her own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Dunne stores have restaurants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Costs should be awarded against this clumsy idiot for her spurious claim.
    Might stop a lot of the other stupid claims and obscene payouts for people being clumsy.
    Also on phone but Uncle Albert from Only Fools And Horses springs immediately to mind.Someone please put it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I really hate the compo culture.
    People will sue for anything nowadays. Sometimes accidents happen and that's all it is. Nobody needs to be sued and nobody needs thousands to "recover" from a simple mistake.

My boss split my head open accidentally in work last week. It hurt like hell and was bleeding pretty bad, but did I sue? No. It was a simple accident. I just cleaned it up and got back to work.
    The way things are nowadays, somebody else would've been onto their solicitor straight away and gotten thousands for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

I wonder why the figure was €38,000? For falling over like a clumsy oaf. If you bring this kind of idiocy to the legal level, you should pay compensation when its found that you're lying or attempting to cheat a business out of such a huge amount of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Ms Keenan, of Annamoe Drive, Cabra, Dublin, said she had not seen anything on the floor before her slip and did not know what had caused it. She had scalded her leg and had injured her back when twisting to save herself.

That's what she gets for wearing pyjamas and slippers to the shops.

Honey-ec wrote: »

Simple as.

Think she was just walking across the floor though rather than up a stairs carrying something hot?! The latter would most certainly be one's own.... erhm choice to do that. Plus any food/Eaterie area with flooring should be rigorously cross-checked. Without attempting to generalize; - in one's own home, - if it was known that there was going to be a busy period, - that there'd be a gang of Builders or whoever walking in and out, or having people over to the house going back and forth to the kitchen area perhaps, - one would be casting an eye over the floor to make sure it's clean etc., or inclined to get the mop out a couple of times a day, well maybe not go so far as to get the mop out, but would be aware of it getting dirty / slippy. Anyway without further speculation, the Judge seems to have evidence that the floor was fine, so that satisfies me, and all's fair in Compo and War. No reason for payout.

Simple as. :)

/ByenowI'veafeelingI'llbexingthisThreadsoIdon'tcomebacktoitagain

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I wonder why the figure was €38,000? For falling over like a clumsy oaf. If you bring this kind of idiocy to the legal level, you should pay compensation when its found that you're lying or attempting to cheat a business out of such a huge amount of money.
    €38k is the maximum jurisdiction of the Circuit Court. Whilst it's unlikely if she had succeeded, she would be awarded such a sum, it serves a dual purpose in that it attracts more outrage and saves the journo doing some actual investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

She almost slipped and then almost won the case. Seems fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Dj Grimreefer

Works on
    Contingency?

No, money down!

Advertisement