Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman wanted 38k for stumbling and almost falling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Will she have to pay the court cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

according to the article, yes.
    Awarding costs against Ms Keenan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Baneblade wrote: »

Is it much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I was just about to bring a case over the amount of times I nearly trip over my own feet. Don't think I'll bother now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I fell up the stairs in work

Woman defies laws of gravity. Isaac Newton rolls in grave. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Dj Grimreefer

I was just about to bring a case over the amount of times I nearly trip over my own feet. Don't think I'll bother now...

Sure wouldn't Channel 6 cover your injury

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Jesus, what a clown. Not for falling over, but for trying to sue due to her own stupidity.
    I hear pregnancy can affect your centre of gravity, perhaps that's what caused her fall...she should defo sue her baby in that case....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Baneblade wrote: »

I wonder how she likes it, now that the shoe is on the other foot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Boombastic wrote: »

I wonder how she likes it, now that the shoe is on the other foot:)

Don't worry I'm sure that for people like this there is some sort of "get out of jail free" card and you and me and everyone else will have to pay for this compo grabbing,clumsy idiots day in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Dj Grimreefer

When interviewed she was asked what she would have spent the money on if she won,

I wouldn't mind taking a short trip overseas she said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Reminds me of the the Ambulance chaser advert showing the last few years. Can't remember the name of the company. Its the one with the smarmy slick looking lawyers stridently walking towards the camera through the whole ad. Middle aged white guy, Younger White woman and Black Guy.

In one of the more recent ones they are in an outdoor plaza and walk down some steps. Silly Bint female lawyer stumbles down steps in her High Heals, and Smarmy older white guy says, "Accidents can happen, even to us......If you had an accident and it wasn't your fault....."

What...The....Ever....Loving.....Fcuk !!!!!

I was trying to get my head around it, was this satire, was this Meta. A lot of their ads try to imply that they aren't ambulance chasers, but if an accident was not your fault, you have a right to claim. Then in the very same ad, they show a trip that is the epitome of ones own fault. Its not like they showed her tripping on a badly laid paving slab. They showed her tripping on perfectly spaced, non steep, equal gradient, grippy granite steps. It WAS her own fcuking fault. It WASN'T the Councils, PLaza owners, Builders, Architects, Engineers etc..........fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

We could all make a fortune suing Lego for all the bricks I stepped on as a child

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Sad thing is that if she had sued for a lesser sum, 5-10k rather than the maximim 38k she probably would have received the award, as the case may be uncontested.
    reminds me of the case discussed here a few weeks ago where a very drunk cyclist on his way home from a house party on a borrowed bicycle fell off twice and was allegedly clipped by a car/vehicle even though cctv showed no car.
    he was awarded 20k but docked 1/3 of this because he was drunk...
    i kid you not..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Is Dublin's economy based around women falling and sueing council/company/neighbour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

crockholm wrote: »
    Is Dublin's economy based around women falling and sueing council/company/neighbour ?

looks that way nowadays..!
    a few years ago it was based on greedy clowns buying and selling houses to each other..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

I wonder who that fall guy that was captured on RTE news in the snow sued for falling.

I see people falling all the time and tripping also.
    The best is seeing people boarding or alighting a bus that has no step and is right up to the path and they still manage to trip/fall.

We are taking after the U.S.A with the sue culture it is absolutely crazy what people are claiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Soooo....let me get this straight. The floor wasn't wet. There was nothing on the floor. Perfectly normal, safe to traverse floor. The pregnant woman doesn't dispute any of this.

The woman trips over. And then wants €38,000.

Can't imagine why she lost the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

I don't think the woman should have won and I don't feel sorry for her in the least. In fact its likely to put others off making ridiculous claims.

BUT can we get one thing straight - this comes up in every one of these personal injuries case threads - her claim was in the Circuit Court which means she was claiming for anything between €6,500 and €38,000. It just so happens that the Circuit Court goes up to €38,000 - it doesn't mean she went in claiming or expecting €38,000. Its just poor reporting designed to cause outrage - which is exactly what it does.

Assuming her pregnancy went without a hitch she'll probably be paying the costs awarded against her at a fiver a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

And now has to pay for Dunnes solicitor & barrister

That's a tidy sum

Few thousand at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Now this is a guy who should get 38k for the entertainment he has provided!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Don't worry I'm sure that for people like this there is some sort of "get out of jail free" card and you and me and everyone else will have to pay for this compo grabbing,clumsy idiots day in court.

Her solicitor may well have taken the case on a no foal no fee basis so they may get nothing, but yea it looks like she'll (rightly IMHO) have to pay for the Dunnes defense team costs. Maybe they'll accept her Dunnes loyalty card points :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

"and if I should stumble and fall, give me 38k" It just don't seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Walk into Dunnes
    Almost fall
    ??????

Profit Debt??

Seriously though how did that case even get to court, fair enough if the floor was wet or something, but it was her own fault that it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

I remember something like that happened me in Dunnes a few years ago. Picked up a few bits and pieces and was carrying them in my arms so couldn't see the floor in front of me.

Someone had dropped a yoghurt and it slipped all over the floor. I slipped but luckily I had one hand free and managed to stop my fall but it jarred my wrist.

I was too embarrassed to say anything so just went to the counter, paid and left. It is only when I read things like this I think I should have caused a fuss! There was two staff members chatting a few yards away and looked at me in disgust when my stumble spread the yoghurt all over the floor

Not about this case in particular but there should be a fine if the court finds the allegation an undeniable lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

BUT can we get one thing straight - this comes up in every one of these personal injuries case threads - her claim was in the Circuit Court which means she was claiming for anything between €6,500 and €38,000. It just so happens that the Circuit Court goes up to €38,000 - it doesn't mean she went in claiming or expecting €38,000. Its just poor reporting designed to cause outrage - which is exactly what it does.
    €6500 is still bang out of order tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

In Exile wrote: »
    It is only when I read things like this I think I should have caused a fuss!
    Why, so you can fail in court and be ridiculed on the internet? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

"She had scalded her leg and had injured her back when twisting to save herself."

I call BS on this. It's always the ol' back when claiming isn't it. Either that or something hot scalding you (such as your own beverage)

But there are different ways of looking at this. So many people get compensation. Alot who have nothing wrong with them. So this woman was clearly thinking "why shouldnt I claim too!" - Being honest, I can understand that. But she didnt fall. It's very hard to get compensation for 'nearly' getting injured.

Sounds to me she just did the usual ... fabricate a back injury and say hot liquid fell on your leg (Such as your berverage) But If she wanted to get money out of it. She should have fell.

*edit*
    Just read the article. Knew she was playing the hot berverage card ;)

Advertisement