Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot set up wifi after computer recovery

Options
  • 04-02-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭

I did a recovery using factory cd on an old laptop and I got it up and running again. I didnt mind losing stuff as its only used for internet. The only problem is that I cannot setup my wifi at all now.
    I assume there is some software missing after the recovery.
    Ive tried everything that I normally have to do and it goes nowhere. All it says is windows cannot find any networks etc.

Where do I check if the actual wifi signal is live and working and what could I download to get the wifi up and running?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mickdw wrote: »
    I did a recovery using factory cd on an old laptop and I got it up and running again. I didnt mind losing stuff as its only used for internet. The only problem is that I cannot setup my wifi at all now.
    I assume there is some software missing after the recovery.
    Ive tried everything that I normally have to do and it goes nowhere. All it says is windows cannot find any networks etc.

Where do I check if the actual wifi signal is live and working and what could I download to get the wifi up and running?

Make sure you have installed the latest wifi drivers, and also that the wireless radio is enabled (either by function key, bios or hardware switch).
    Make sure no items in the device manager have exclamation marks next to them

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have exclamation marks against 4 items.

Coprocessor
    Ethernet controller
    Ethernet controller
    Sm bus cobtroller

Ive installed all I can find on the disk that came with computer which ibckuded a wireless utility.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mickdw wrote: »
    I have exclamation marks against 4 items.

Coprocessor
    Ethernet controller
    Ethernet controller
    Sm bus cobtroller

Ive installed all I can find on the disk that came with computer which ibckuded a wireless utility.

You will need to visit the manufacturers website and download & install these drivers:
    • Chipset Drivers
    • Ethernet Controller Driver
    • Wifi Driver
    • Card Reader Driver

Nick

Advertisement