Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple TV 3rd Gen Jailbreak

• 04-02-2013 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Unexpectedly got my hands on an Apple TV, only issue is I don't have a display that I can use it with right now, so planning on leaving it for the parents to play around with. Only thing is it would be the only Apple product in the house, so they would be unable to use AirPlay or anything like that, and they want access to things like BBC iPlayer and RTÉ Player.
    I've been trying to search online but I can't seem to find out if there is a jailbreak out there or not. If there isn't one, is there any other way to get around it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

No jailbreak for AppleTV V3 as of now. It's a shame, it's holding me back from getting another one, myself. Without the jailbreak, there's no way to add anything that Apple do not already allow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

If your not willing to pay for stuff the ATV3 is pretty much useless at the moment. Even when airplaying i get the letterbox effect because the ipad aspect ratio is 4:3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Stab*City wrote: »
    If your not willing to pay for stuff the ATV3 is pretty much useless at the moment. Even when airplaying i get the letterbox effect because the ipad aspect ratio is 4:3

That's just messy on Apple's side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

As I have said a few times on this forum, try Gbox Midnight, good box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Stab*City wrote: »
    It works fine for me, from the video apps that I've tried. Maybe you're using mirroring instead of Airplay from within an app?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

kjl wrote: »
    As I have said a few times on this forum, try Gbox Midnight, good box

Did you miss the part where the OP posted in the Apple Devices forum where he clearly states he already has an AppleTV?

Graham wrote: »
    Did you miss the part where the OP posted in the Apple Devices forum where he clearly states he already has an AppleTV?

Did you miss the part where I am giving advice for others who might consider purchasing a tv box.

Ahhh, sorry now I understand. You're giving advice to a question that wasn't asked. Got it now.

In case anyone does come across the same advice you've been banging out every-time someone mentions AppleTV:

Amazon reviews on the GBox Midnight:

Great Device
    Wi-Fi Sucks
    Updates brick the device
    Excellent mini box
    DOA
    Android is the worst platform for XBMC
    An authentic and truly negative experience
    Powerful Andriod box
    Needs Work
    Not ready for the general consumer

I'm sure it is a great box although the reviews are fairly mixed and I doubt it would pass the wife/girlfriend/mother test.

Ahhh, sorry now I understand. You're giving advice to a question that wasn't asked. Got it now.

In case anyone does come across the same advice you've been banging out every-time someone mentions AppleTV:

Amazon reviews on the GBox Midnight:

Great Device
    Wi-Fi Sucks
    Updates brick the device
    Excellent mini box
    DOA
    Android is the worst platform for XBMC
    An authentic and truly negative experience
    Powerful Andriod box
    Needs Work
    Not ready for the general consumer

I'm sure it is a great box although the reviews are fairly mixed and I doubt it would pass the wife/girlfriend/mother test.

The title of this thread is about jailbreaking an apple tv, the only benefit of which is getting XBMC on it. All I am saying is there are comparable devices out there which do not need to be hacked to get them to run this software.

This box was a work in progress, but now there is both a very stable android and Linux build for it. So maybe do a little more research before you flame my post, not that I don't think searching amazon is enough research to make an informed decision . :rolleyes:

Why exactly all the negativity about me telling people about this box? Are you stuck with a useless Apple TV 3 and wish you didn't waste your money on a device that won't even play xvid without at least a €400 peripheral.

OP didn't ask about XBMC, he asked about BBC iPlayer and RTÉ Player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭branners69

It seems like the 3rd gen will never be jailbroken and Apple are launching the 4th gen this year which will be much easier to jailbreak.

So if like me you have a couple of 3rd gens then you are out of luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

branners69 wrote: »
    It seems like the 3rd gen will never be jailbroken and Apple are launching the 4th gen this year which will be much easier to jailbreak.

So if like me you have a couple of 3rd gens then you are out of luck!!
    just curious as to what makes you think the 4th gen will be any easier to hack than the 3rd gen?

just curious as to what makes you think the 4th gen will be any easier to hack than the 3rd gen?

Apple know they made a mistake. Whilst sales of the 3rd gen wasnt terrible - approx 2.7 million units from March to December 2012. They sold 1.4 million units of the 2nd gen in the first three months of 2012! Nevermind the other two million odd they sold in 2011.

I for one would have bought one or two more if they could be jailbroken!

So rumour has it they are going to make it a bit easier as not much time has been dedicated to jailbreaking the 3rd gen. There have been much larger sales of iPads, iPhones and touches which most people want to see jailbroken first!

I read the specs of the proposed 4th gen and there are a couple of subtle changes to it!

i honestly don't think apple are going to go out of their way to make the thing more 'jailbreakable' that's just absurd.

i honestly don't think apple are going to go out of their way to make the thing more 'jailbreakable' that's just absurd.

Time will tell!

OP didn't ask about XBMC, he asked about BBC iPlayer and RTÉ Player.

which are both xbmc plug ins thay won't run on atv any other way, I should know, they are both on my repo

Time will tell!

Time won't tell, Apple make money from selling content on the ATV not from the hardware, they are hardly going to make it easier for people to circumvent security on the box so they don't pay for content, if anything it will be harder to jailbreak.

I know you looked at the specs, but honestly that means diddly squat around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

not really, its a fact apple sales go up & ios upgrades go through the roof when new jb's come out, will be interesting to see the new stats for sales & ios 6.1 upgrades after yesterdays release :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have an ATV2 jailbroken and have to say XBMC runs horribly on it, although I am running an old firmware, but it never ran smoothly for me.

I use Plex for streaming local media and the difference is night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

adox wrote: »
    I have an ATV2 jailbroken and have to say XBMC runs horribly on it, although I am running an old firmware, but it never ran smoothly for me.

I have an ATV2 running XBMC (eden)and have never found any difficulties running file formats. I use my home PC with an additional HDD to store my movies and TV series's and with the exception of one movie have always found XBMC amazingly easy to use and top class standards.

• Advertisement

Stuxnet wrote: »
    not really, its a fact apple sales go up & ios upgrades go through the roof when new jb's come out, will be interesting to see the new stats for sales & ios 6.1 upgrades after yesterdays release :D

as kjl stated, apple make a truck more cash from content than they would do from the bump in hardware sales.

try the latest frodo build, works like a charm for me

try the latest frodo build, works like a charm for me

Yeah I installed it last night. It has crashed a couple of times for me and still wont support 5.1 for me for some reason.

Much nicer interface though. Its still quite laggy for me though. I did read that its recommended to run with firmware 5 and above but I`m back on 4.2 or something so maybe that isnt helping.

I have an ATV2 running XBMC (eden)and have never found any difficulties running file formats. I use my home PC with an additional HDD to store my movies and TV series's and with the exception of one movie have always found XBMC amazingly easy to use and top class standards.

I`ve had issues playing HD files through it in the past and it never supported 5.1 sound, although the latest incarnation is supposed to. Of course it has the huge advantage of having so many plugins too but purely as a format for streaming local media I much prefer Plex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I`ve had issues playing HD files through it in the past and it never supported 5.1 sound, although the latest incarnation is supposed to. Of course it has the huge advantage of having so many plugins too but purely as a format for streaming local media I much prefer Plex.

Does Plex work like OpenElec? As in, it needs a mac running at all times to stream content? I much prefer streaming content from a NAS myself.

L'prof wrote: »
    Does Plex work like OpenElec? As in, it needs a mac running at all times to stream content? I much prefer streaming content from a NAS myself.

Yeah the Mac has to be running but it's not an issue for me as I never turn it off anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yeah the Mac has to be running but it's not an issue for me as I never turn it off anyway.

Don't have a mac, not sure if I'll ever bother with one either. If it was in another room, it'd be fine, but if it was a laptop with the fan goin nuts beside ya (dunno how loud the fans on MacBooks get), it'd drive me nuts!

L'prof wrote: »
    Don't have a mac, not sure if I'll ever bother with one either. If it was in another room, it'd be fine, but if it was a laptop with the fan goin nuts beside ya (dunno how loud the fans on MacBooks get), it'd drive me nuts!

Not a fan of plex personally, I like XBMC as it works as a standalone box, plus the python dev platform is very easy to use.

Time won't tell, Apple make money from selling content on the ATV not from the hardware, they are hardly going to make it easier for people to circumvent security on the box so they don't pay for content, if anything it will be harder to jailbreak.

I know you looked at the specs, but honestly that means diddly squat around here.

Of course apple make money from selling content but not as much as you might think! A huge proportion of ATV's are used for Netflix and Hulu.

And do you really think that Apple are concerned with the handful of people in their eyes which would jailbreak their ATV? Most people wouldn't know and wouldn't be bothered to jailbreak their ATV. But those who are interested in free movies and tv are going to do it anyway so apple may as well get the hardware sale.

And as I said we will see!!

• Advertisement

Of course apple make money from selling content but not as much as you might think! A huge proportion of ATV's are used for Netflix and Hulu.

And do you really think that Apple are concerned with the handful of people in their eyes which would jailbreak their ATV? Most people wouldn't know and wouldn't be bothered to jailbreak their ATV. But those who are interested in free movies and tv are going to do it anyway so apple may as well get the hardware sale.

And as I said we will see!!

Apple proactively block every exploit as they are found, they are in no way shape of form going to enable security exploits in their devices so the select few can watch free content on their devices.

Do you work for apple, are you part of the new development team? And if you are should you really be talking about you insider knowledge on a public forum?

Fact is you are just following the roomer mill which knows nothing and speculate based on hope.

All time will tell is that you don't know what you are talking about.

The only reason ATV2 can be hacked at all is because the shatter exploit which is a boot rom exploit, all other jailbreaks are as a result of firmware exploited which we can access because we have an internet browser on the device . Without the ability to run anything on the ATV we can't inject the jailbreak code into the device, hence no jailbreak.

Advertisement