Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple TV 3rd Gen Jailbreak

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple won't make the ATV easier to jailbreak, but they will probably eliminate the need for jail breaking for most people when they open the ATV up to third party apps. This is the obvious next step, though it probably won't happen until Apple have their full HDTV offering ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

branners69 wrote: »

I read the specs of the proposed 4th gen and there are a couple of subtle changes to it!

if its the report that i read a couple of weeks ago, its hardly a 4th gen with those subtle changes. more like a 3.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I cant see the point of an Apple TV now that xbmc is available for Android.

Better to get any android set top tv box for half the price,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

gzoladz wrote: »
    I cant see the point of an Apple TV now that xbmc is available for Android.

Better to get any android set top tv box for half the price,
    unless of course you want to legitimately buy content. Google's video service is a long way off from being in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

Well, this thread exploded while I wasn't looking!
    Thanks for the advice guys. I hadn't purchased the Apple TV myself, I won it in a competition, so I just have no idea what to do with it. I wasn't really going for using it for trying to get free films and TV shows through using it, I was just wondering if it was possible to get anything like RTÉ/BBC/iPlayer/etc onto it.

Thanks for all the advice, I guess we'll just see if Apple will add that sort of compatibility in. I might invest in a screen and do some AirPlay with my iPod Touch. I have plenty of time to mess around with it anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It's madness to think Apple will purposely make it easy for people to jailbreak their Apple TV's. I don't know where your getting the "rumours" from but i'd bet a lot of money that they are just that, rumours.

I agree with Sad Professor. I think the next logical step is to open an App Store for the ATV. It's something i'd really love to see. It'd be great having RTE and TV3 players available directly from the ATV. I could also see devs creating full screen games which let's you use an iOS device paired via bluetooth to control the games/apps. And even a safari web browser built in, with the updated bluetooth keyboard support I can see a lot of potential. Especially if they keep it around the €100 price mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

DubDJ wrote: »
    It's madness to think Apple will purposely make it easy for people to jailbreak their Apple TV's. I don't know where your getting the "rumours" from but i'd bet a lot of money that they are just that, rumours.

I agree with Sad Professor. I think the next logical step is to open an App Store for the ATV. It's something i'd really love to see. It'd be great having RTE and TV3 players available directly from the ATV. I could also see devs creating full screen games which let's you use an iOS device paired via bluetooth to control the games/apps. And even a safari web browser built in, with the updated bluetooth keyboard support I can see a lot of potential. Especially if they keep it around the €100 price mark.

I think android is the way forward for tv boxes, between ouya, gbox and nvidia shield, atv will be pretty obsolete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

kjl wrote: »
    I think android is the way forward for tv boxes, between ouya, gbox and nvidia shield, atv will be pretty obsolete

Maybe, but at the moment they've nothing really decent available. I've yet to see one decent Android TV box. I don't know one single person with one and rarely see people talking about them. There's not too much you can do with an ATV now but it's still a great device for the price it's at. Some of the Android powered boxes are double and price and don't offer too much in return, and are often unstable.

Android has come a long way in the tablet space in the last year, maybe they'll do the same with a TV set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

Can someone tell me why exactly woud one jailbreak a apple tv?

I currently have a macbook pro and an ipad mini so can they integrate somehow?

Also i wouldnt be doing to much heavy streaming on it as the internet is not to great for that sometimes.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

mcw92 wrote: »

Also i wouldnt be doing to much heavy streaming on it as the internet is not to great for that sometimes.

Thanks.

You would jailbreak it to install XBMC which is a very good media center that can play any file format users can write little app like things called addons. The addon community has a large following and they have written ways to watch free movies,tv shows and sport on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

mcw92 wrote: »

Thanks.

XBMC. Install it on your macbook and have a play around with it. Its a fantastic bit of software if you have a media collection.

Advertisement