Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend dog kennels in Dublin/ Meath ?

• 04-02-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Looking to board a dog in a nice comfortable safe place for a week. Was previously using The Happy Hound but haven't heard good reviews recently.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

sambora wrote: »
    Looking to board a dog in a nice comfortable safe place for a week. Was previously using The Happy Hound but haven't heard good reviews recently.

Thanks

Don't know how far you are willing to travel but there is a very good one in Enfield, the owners are total dog lovers.

Corrs Petcare Ballinderry Enfield Co. Meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Irish Rosettes is the only place I would ever leave my dog. Have to say they are very good and every time I collect him, the staff always make some comments about how he got on and you know they have spent time with him.

http://www.irps.ie/kennels.html

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Bellinter kennels near Navan just off the M3. It's family run and we've been using it for years.

http://ibkca.ie/bellinter-kennels-and-cattery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Elaine Clarke on the Hill of Ward in Athboy, sound lady and a small family setup on a working farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

All Paws in the Naul, Co Dublin is great, and very reasonably priced. Never left a dog there, only my cat, but several of my friends have left dogs there and have only good things to say about it. My cat was very well looked after and the facilities are good and spotless.

http://allpawsboarding.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 BARNEYDUD

Hi,
    Just to be sure to be sure.
    Please note that The Happyhound boarding kennel in Maynooth is different from Happyhounds boarding kennels in Rathfeigh near Skryne, Co Meath.
    I leave my little fellow Samson in at Happyhounds in Rathfeigh and Kay is devoted to giving the dogs her upmost attention and care.
    I can highly recommend Happyhounds in Rathfeigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I leave my dog with Clare hunt up in Beabeg dog boarding. Very happy with it. As she's running around with other dogs and well taken care of! They've a page on Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Any recommendations for near Dublin Airport? Pity Clare is near Drogeda, that sounds perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Bellewstown Kennels and Cattery. Heard good reports .5 miles from Drogheda, 20 miles from airport.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Bellewstown Kennels and Cattery. Heard good reports .5 miles from Drogheda, 20 miles from airport.

I dont have time for 20miles from the airport unfortunately. Anything in Finglas/Swords?

• Advertisement

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Any recommendations for near Dublin Airport? Pity Clare is near Drogeda, that sounds perfect!

Place I mentioned above is relatively close - all Paws. It is in the Naul, so out the back roads, about a 20 min drive from the back of the airport. I don't know of any good boarding places in Swords - have heard horror stories about several and the 2 well known ones I went to myself and was less than impressed.

For peace of mind, a 20min drive to the Naul would be worth it.

I always thought it was a shame that Dogs Trust who are very near the airport do not do boarding. It would make sense for them to have this service which would boost their income but maybe it might have something to do with their charitable status.

They have some tips on their website for those looking for a boarding kennel.

http://www.dogstrust.ie/az/b/boardingkennels/default.aspx#.URJJszg3WSp

Despite the potential income, it would probably be more trouble than its worth, and would mean that staff resources would have to be spread between paying guests and rescues. You might also end up getting people 'boarding' their dogs and never coming back!

Little Ted wrote: »
    Despite the potential income, it would probably be more trouble than its worth, and would mean that staff resources would have to be spread between paying guests and rescues. You might also end up getting people 'boarding' their dogs and never coming back!

Good point about people never coming back.

I dropped some old towels, blankets, quilts, pillows, etc to them last year. They have a really impressive set up but could not go and see the dogs as I would have ended up bring one home. They were delighted with the stuff.

I dont have time for 20miles from the airport unfortunately. Anything in Finglas/Swords?

Best Kennels in Garristown. Had my dog in there before. 20 mins from Airport. Only reason I moved her was because I prefer the boarding set-up and the times are a little less flexible - have to drop-off/pickup between 9-9.30am and 5-5.30pm

I will be going to the airport straight from work but very little spare time so dont have time for 20 minutes from the airport. I will check out the one in the Naul, thanks.

Lets just say though - don't for anyone of the ones in Swords!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RoyalCounty

Hi there. I leave my two dogs in Cookstown Kennels. It's near Kells. A friend recommended it to me after I'd had a bad experience in another kennels. I travel from Dunshaughlin so that tells you how happy I am with it!

I will be going to the airport straight from work but very little spare time so dont have time for 20 minutes from the airport. I will check out the one in the Naul, thanks.

you could always drop them off the evening before and give yourself less rush. All Paws are very reasonable, so it might be worth the extra night just to free up your time a bit rather than be rushing and racing. If you're stressed then doggy will sense it and then leaving him into a kennels he is unfamiliar with might freak him out. Would be better to bring him when you are relaxed and can spend some time with him at the kennels settling him in so that he doesn't stress out too much. I'd never recommend just dropping off your pet in a hurry, especially for its first time at a facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Naul is 20 mins from the airport? Well unless you're a girl racer lol! Anyhoos Best are no good for you AFAIK because last I heard they don't take RB dogs! :( Also not flexible

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Naul is 20 mins from the airport? Well unless you're a girl racer lol!

no girl racing needed. Straight from airport out the M1, take junction 5, couple of kms down that road and on the right are the kennels. You would easily do it in 20mins. Even via the back roads and lower speed limits you would make it in 30 mins. But I still don't recommend dropping off a pet in such rushed conditions.

They have set times on their website, however will be flexible up to a point - you just need to contact them in advance and see if they can accommodate you with different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

Do not go with Happyhound Maynooth anyway! Parents just had an awful experience and will never use them again after years of going to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Naul is 20 mins from the airport? Well unless you're a girl racer lol! Anyhoos Best are no good for you AFAIK because last I heard they don't take RB dogs! :( Also not flexible

Bests are a total nightmare to deal with , totally inflexible & liable to cancel your booking at the last Moment - they did this to me " forgot to write it in the book" after I " dared" to ask what the dog-staff ratio was in the place they never let people see inside. They also cancelled one of my neighbours dogs as she arrived to drop it off - FFS- had to run around the day of her holiday looking for a Kennels. The owner seems to be able to be Perfectly nice when he's showing his dogs or competing, but is a total p**** to deal with. Couldn't recommend it less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bests are a total nightmare to deal with , totally inflexible & liable to cancel your booking at the last Moment - they did this to me " forgot to write it in the book" after I " dared" to ask what the dog-staff ratio was in the place they never let people see inside. They also cancelled one of my neighbours dogs as she arrived to drop it off - FFS- had to run around the day of her holiday looking for a Kennels. The owner seems to be able to be Perfectly nice when he's showing his dogs or competing, but is a total p**** to deal with. Couldn't recommend it less.

Yeah tbh - I used them once when my guy was a puppy and he was very well looked after but I'd be put off using them again for the simple fact I'd be worried that I may say the wrong thing to him and be sent packing!! Friends of mine use them all the time (like at least every 2 months) and love the place and their dog is always in great form when he comes home.

Did you find somewhere TillyGirl? I used a guy in Naul last time but not sure if he'd be any use to you since said you didn't have time to drive over there? I just mapped it there on google maps and it's 24 mins to the airport.

Little Ted wrote: »
    you could always drop them off the evening before and give yourself less rush.

I live in Galway!
    Did you find somewhere TillyGirl?

No but I havent looked into it at all yet. I am coming from Galway and I know I passed an exit for the Naul when I was going to the airport during the week so somewhere that is just off the motorway would be fine.

Don't let the sign fool you! Its not that close!

I live in Galway!

No but I havent looked into it at all yet. I am coming from Galway and I know I passed an exit for the Naul when I was going to the airport during the week so somewhere that is just off the motorway would be fine.

If you are coming from Galway, you would be comng from the M50 - the turn off you are thinking of would not actually be that quick. It would be better to go onto the M1 and then straight out and off at junction 6.

However I really think you would be better off booking a kennel in Galway. Drop your dog off the day before, get him/her settled in. It's not very fair to put the dog in a car for a few hours, drop him in a strange place, leave him for a number of days then when you collect him and he is all excited to see you, expect him to be quiet while you drive back to Galway. Also, if your flight gets delayed on your return, how are you going to pick him up? Honestly, for the dogs best interests, I think you need to book him in somewhere in Galway.

Advertisement